PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy and Endgame

eides
07-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I know Shadow has tweaked the diplomacy to increase the action in the endgame, but I still find there is something missing with the goal. Trying to ally with one race and eliminate all others encourages choosing one race early on and focusing on building relations with that one to the exclusion of all others.

There may be a risk in that, as the race you choose may not be the leading race, but it is even riskier to court multiple races, since a completed quest for one race is likely to hurt relations with multiple others and it's possible in this way to end up with bad relations with everyone.

Because of this, I feel like I end up with a slow pace of quests. Often there are multiple quests for other races I can easily complete but can't claim, while I sit waiting for another quest to open up for my chosen race. There may be several available that all involve espionage/sabotage activities that I can't take because I'm at war with the same races the patron race is.

This all leaves me frustrated because I see a lot of activity taking place that I have to stay out of, rather than really taking the part of a mercenary with shifting loyalties.

I think reducing the penalties for completing quests from other races (maybe only a modest penalty in relations for races at war with the race offering the quest) or removing the Drox from the normal race relations system would help open the game up. This may make the victory condition mean less, but I would sacrifice having a clear victory condition for more of a sandbox game that lets me take the quests I choose. This may work in conjunction with more of a reputation system as some have discussed.

LostSoul
07-02-2012, 12:36 AM
It also, will frequently require that you actively sabotage any relationships your preferred faction may attempt to build, since the both of them CANNOT coexist at end-game. Which, I might add, is not exactly a really "impressive" part of DO's gameplay.