PDA

View Full Version : End Game

jureidinim
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
As a spin off from another thread - http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5205

.. i wanted to talk more about the disconnected feel myself and others have mentioned in playing this game.

Maybe its too late to introduce new mechanics to the game at this point, but i think something else is needed to draw the payer in more.

So, maybe as a Drox Operative, upon entering a new sector, you get a random BONUS mission from the Drox guild to complete for the sector.
Completing a game normally (allying with last race standing) could give regular GUILD points.
Finishing the BONUS mission as well could give bonus guild points.
Guild points basically moves you up ranking within the Drox Guild - so this is a seperate ranking ladder you are moving up on.
Higher Placement on the Drox guild rank could lead to other in game bonuses - which i haven't really thought of :-)

Bonus missions could be of the kind:
1) Help the <named race> to be the dominant race
2) Help the <2 named races> be the final races standing with an alliance between them
3) Donate a total of <x credits> to <named race> by game's end to help their economy (basically through trade)
4) Donate <number> of <level x merchandise> by game's end to <specific race>
5) Eradicate <named enemy ships> (this could be to locate every sector created in the game and destroy a specific amount of the named ship in each one).
6) Gain Intel. - discover x number of technologies by game end.
.... and so on.

Again, the basic game ender is still active - these are just bonus missions.

If for example the Bonus mission is to make Humans the dominant race, this could be a challenge because the game starts them as the weakest.
The player could ignore this and play normally, making some other race dominant, but to get the bonus guild points, he would have to try harder with the humans.

The point here is to get something else going on in game that can engage the player and have them really pay more attention to which races are getting stronger, which ones have alliances, where certain alien ship groups are spawning, and so on, and not just running around mindlessy blowing everything up until one race remains.

Thoughts?

jonasan
07-04-2012, 03:27 AM
with you completely on the disconnection/directionless feeling and the craving for more focussed play in some fashion.

your ideas for how the game could offer you different secondary objectives in each sector are nice and would certainly add a lot. However, i wonder if you feel the same way as me in terms of the lack of continuity between one sector and another, between your previous actions and your current situation... and the arbitrary choice we have right now as to who to back in each sector (your idea would help with this for sure, but i want something more involved...)

if you have the time maybe check on my thoughts and idea on this issue here:

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5313

The point here is to get something else going on in game that can engage the player and have them really pay more attention to which races are getting stronger, which ones have alliances, where certain alien ship groups are spawning, and so on, and not just running around mindlessy blowing everything up until one race remains.

This is a nice description of the problem (or at least part of it now) which i tried to address with my suggestions in the above linked post... but as you say maybe its too late or too much to ask for these kind of changes - mine at least, yours seem more pheasible! :)