PDA

View Full Version : Energy sustainability

Moonshine Fox
07-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi guys!

I've played a fair bit (up to around lvl 18 now) and I'm finding that while my defenses and offense (damage wise and hit %:age) are fine, my energy is an absolute mess and I'm at a loss as to how I solve that particular gripe.

Is it a simple as dumping tons of points into Engineering, or how do you get around having a too slow energy regen? I can fire 7-8 shots before my energy is dry and extend the time between shots from "Cool!" to "Sometimes next week"

This is fine and dandy if there's only 4-5 baddies and I'm well stocked on energy boosters, but any kind of extended fighting gets really spendy if I need to go through boosters like cotton candy.

jonasan
07-08-2012, 08:03 AM
i'm curious as to what your total energy is right now? I had simlar problems but eventually i got sufficient medium and light slots to install a good battery, a energy boost component (gives 290 in one go / 1 minute cool down) and a light component for recharge boost giving +7 per second, making use of the new heavy slot i opened up to use another power station and convert the excess to energy - all helps - but big fights still need purchased energy boosters... now i can run my cloak all the time and still recharge energy! (level 31 mind you)

However my consumption when fighting means i really try to pick my fights, engaging everything is not an option because you wont have it on hand when you need it... the boost component is your best freind when you do - but still need purchased boosts to fill gaps .... cloaks and drive dissipators help with getting away from those you dont want to fight....

from my experience you have to work through the difficulties earlier on and then as more components and slots open up things get easier... then harder... then easier ...... its like this!

Moonshine Fox
07-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I'm quite low level right now, and have no energy boosting components at all, neither for recharge or increasing max energy. I'm not at home atm so I can't check my exact numbers unfortunately. I might also add that the only thing actually using my energy right now is my single fusion cannon. I can't afford to run more weapons as I'll bleed myself dry instantly.

I'm also on the very first ship, so I haven't put any points into command to upgrade my shiptype for more slots. So it's 3+3+3 for me.

jonasan
07-09-2012, 03:32 AM
i have come to the conclusion that carrying at least 4 crew is essential to provide necessary stat boosts, and so releasing enough points to put into command. Im level 32 now with my uptopian ship and have a lesser titan with 5/5/5. Keeping my crew well paid and happy in relation to my activities in each sector (not wiping out their races unless i have too - and paying them substantially when i do) is helping them level up a lot i think so my other stats dont lag too far behind, and carrying other crew not equipped to help out in more specific situations helps as well (i.e. back up structural expert to help me throw on emergency armour).

Seems to me that its better to equip more components that are of a slightly lower level than less compnents of a higher level. More diversity in terms of my loadout has served me well up to this point. For example, now i am running two batteries (medium) and an energy booost and constant recharger (both light), my heavy attack slot has got a level 33 interceptor bay in it, i also have a cloaking device, power virus and disruptor cannon in my medium slots... command really helps in the end... at some point you just have to bite the bullet and do a couple of levels at at time without spending any poiunts so you can do the whole upgrade to the next ship type with an extra slot all at once.

Have to say its a lot of fun having these 5 deadly litle ships roaming around close to my cloaked ship taking enemies out, and lending them a hand by dropping tougher enemies defense with my two medium slot weapons.

In relation to the energy discussion the interceptors/fighters are nice because once they are spawned they require no further energy to maintain, so you can have these little guys attacking for no energy drain, and a full bank of energy avaliable for your other weapons when you need them - seems to have taken care of my energy issues quite nicely! :)

LostSoul
07-09-2012, 03:20 PM
My general beef is that energy regeneration simply cannot keep pace with energy consumption. It scales at roughly twice the rate of power spillover and engineering.

To set the stage, weapons increase in energy consumption per second at a rate of roughly 1.5 per level. This is pretty universal. Engineering (putting all 5 pts per level into it no less) is worth less than a quarter of that. Chargers increase in energy regen bonuses at a rate of roughly 0.25 EPS per level. And then there's excess energy production which converts at an absolutely abysmal rate (0.01 eps per power iirc).

Put in the most basic terms, energy production is about right at level 1 when you can keep up with a single weapon no problem...and then never again.

All of these additional energy components shouldn't be *required* to keep pace with a single weapon. They should only come into play if you're greatly over-stressing your power consumption or fielding multiple high-end weapons. Instead you can dump all 5 of your crew points all the way to level 30 into engineering, have a whopping 8 base energy regen where a level-equivalent laser is burning through 25-30 energy per second.

And you're talking about a ship that wouldn't even be able to *equip* that weapon because there's nothing invested into tactical. This is best case scenario for energy regen here, and you can't even use the weapon much less sustain it. Ships that can equip higher end weapons have it even worse.

-edit-

I guess I should clarify. The energy system itself isn't "broken" so much as it is a bad match for the combat that actually happens in this game. If the overwhelming vast majority of combat was one ship against another, the slower pace would make sense as a more strategic pace-setter, using and changing your components in or out to get and keep the upper hand as you wear your opponent down. However, that's not the combat that exists in Drox. It's fast, it's frantic, and you're always out-numbered (sometimes, often really, severely so). The two parts of the game are at odds with one another I think.

LostSoul
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I've no idea what you're talking about. Computer increases *attack* and only attack. It grants no other benefits. Command provides additional stat perks based on your race (Cortex gets additional engineering which is what my main ship is), and only command gives additional component slots. And as I have already said, the effect Engineering has on energy regeneration is abysmal.

And it's not that energy regeneration is a problem in and of itself, it's that the system is out of place with the actual game combat where it's used.

Unless you mean medium components that grant CPs in exchange for power? Those are...actually something of a requirement once you reach the number of available component slots to use them.

Bluddy
07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I guess I should clarify. The energy system itself isn't "broken" so much as it is a bad match for the combat that actually happens in this game. If the overwhelming vast majority of combat was one ship against another, the slower pace would make sense as a more strategic pace-setter, using and changing your components in or out to get and keep the upper hand as you wear your opponent down. However, that's not the combat that exists in Drox. It's fast, it's frantic, and you're always out-numbered (sometimes, often really, severely so). The two parts of the game are at odds with one another I think.

That's a really good insight. I missed it because you edited your post rather than posting another one. It's always better to post again, because then you send notifications to other people.

Anyway, it's really true. You have minimal control over the number of enemies you fight at one time, so all energy regen does is serve as a timer of how long you can go until you have to to retreat as fast as you can while firing sporadic shots.

Nori
07-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I've said this in my feedback thread and I'll say it again here. Engineering simply doesn't provide a large enough pool of energy. Heck the pool is too small to start with.

Example. I have a level 12ish cortex ship with around to 18 engineering. Without energy batteries I only have a bit more than 100 energy (might be closer to 150 I forget). I also have about 7 energy regen a second. The two weapons I'm using will burn through the energy pool in about 5-8s. Then I have to wait about double that time for it to regen fully... I would much prefer to have 1000 energy and get a full minute of firing before having to run away. That would make much more sense. I mean it feels like energy regen is mostly useless because I regen so fast but have such a small pool so all the regen is wasted.

The starting pool should be something like 100-200 and engineering should provide at least 20 energy per point, I mean the 4 it provides right now is so little as to be almost worthless. Yippee I can fire a half a shot extra now.... So at 20 engineering I would have about 500-600 energy, enough for almost a minute of fighting at level 10-12...

Another thing that would be nice is each command upgrade (so going from one ship tier to the next) would get a large bonus to energy. So maybe tier one has a base of 100, and tier two would add 200 to that. Tier three would then add another 200 or maybe even 300.

It is tough to make this right because you don't want energy to be free, but at the same time it shouldn't be so limiting. I'm literally spending all my credits on energy spikes when I'm in wars. I simply can't store enough energy to even take out one ship before I have to regen. Larger pools would go a long way in making this better.

Moonshine Fox
07-10-2012, 06:27 PM
*loads of good stuff*

You pretty much nailed my feeling. I'm enjoying the game now, more and more with each patch, but this particular thing keeps getting in my way :P

Nori
07-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm loving the game as well. But for me the energy "situation" is the low point of it. I have limited slots and powerload and I shouldn't need to put in three battery recharger and two energy boosters just to fight a war. A level 10 ship really ought to have enough energy to shoot for almost a minute before they run out. So maybe 750 for a average ship, 900 if you put a lot into engineering. Then if you want you can stick a battery in that gives another 300 or something. Thus giving you more staying power and making sure batteries are still useful.

Anywho, hopefully this'll be changed a wee bit. :)

LostSoul
07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm loving the game as well. But for me the energy "situation" is the low point of it. I have limited slots and powerload and I shouldn't need to put in three battery recharger and two energy boosters just to fight a war. A level 10 ship really ought to have enough energy to shoot for almost a minute before they run out. So maybe 750 for a average ship, 900 if you put a lot into engineering. Then if you want you can stick a battery in that gives another 300 or something. Thus giving you more staying power and making sure batteries are still useful.

Anywho, hopefully this'll be changed a wee bit. :)

Exactly. These components should be optional if you're not going above and beyond just arming your ship or fighting off pirates here and there. As it is, these components aren't to meet any sort of energy needs, and its really clashing with the rest of the game.

Grifman
07-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi guys!

I've played a fair bit (up to around lvl 18 now) and I'm finding that while my defenses and offense (damage wise and hit %:age) are fine, my energy is an absolute mess and I'm at a loss as to how I solve that particular gripe.

Is it a simple as dumping tons of points into Engineering, or how do you get around having a too slow energy regen? I can fire 7-8 shots before my energy is dry and extend the time between shots from "Cool!" to "Sometimes next week"

This is fine and dandy if there's only 4-5 baddies and I'm well stocked on energy boosters, but any kind of extended fighting gets really spendy if I need to go through boosters like cotton candy.

You are using mines right? No need for boosters, just charge the enemy fleet, drop a mine in the middle of them, boom, boom, boom, boom. Then kite a few away trailing mines behind you, then come back and mop of the pieces.

Zeolas
07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
You are using mines right? No need for boosters, just charge the enemy fleet, drop a mine in the middle of them, boom, boom, boom, boom. Then kite a few away trailing mines behind you, then come back and mop of the pieces.

But what if you don't want to use mines/bombs? Pretty much any other alternative requires a fair amount of energy. Although, you could do a bomb/fighter only build that would only require energy for summoning the fighters. May have to try that . . .

Nori
07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Not to sound needy but I'd really like to hear Shadow's thoughts on this issue as I don't think we've had any energy changes for a while. :P

Cheet4h
07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
The recent patch .909 increases Energy and energy regeneration rate per Engineering :D

Nori
07-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Well the 909 patch made a step in the right direction but I still feel that the overall energy pool is too low. Its not a question of energy regen which is fine, but more the size of the pool. It just depletes too quickly even with a battery.

asaguda
08-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I had an idea I've discussed with my littlebrother a little. Why not go the Diablo 3 route? Have enemies drop some kind of item that automatically picks up and gives you a small energy boost?

You could even take it further and have enemies, when they have been explodied, give you back a certain percentage of the energy you spent trying to kill them. Say you spend 100 energy killing one ship, and another 20 on a projectile weapon that doesn't reach the target because it already died. Those 20 would be lost forever and would have to passively regen, but what if the ship you killed gave you, say, 60% of the energy back in the form of an item drop or something?

Sure, you've now spent the majority of your pool to kill one baddie, but fortunately for you the game just rewarded you for your aggressive and in some cases slightly risky efforts, giving you back some, but not all, of the energy spent, which might encourage people to make riskier decisions which, to me, would be very exciting, getting out of a dangerous situation alive.
You still come out with less energy, ideally, then you went into the battle with, but now you're open to keep on fighting for a bit longer.

Thoughts?

RoboAV
08-13-2012, 05:30 PM
You could even take it further and have enemies, when they have been explodied, give you back a certain percentage of the energy you spent trying to kill them.

I play with a component called a Harvester. It gives you X energy per kill. I find it works great for everything except bosses and the big EMP or terraforming devices that take forever to shoot down. I don't recall the names, but there are components that give you energy for hitting enemies and for being hit. I am opposed to making getting hit part of my strategy, so have not really tried the one out...

Moonshine Fox
08-20-2012, 07:40 AM
The energy sustainability feels a lot better these days. Granted, at the moment I'm flying a Drakk carrier (15 minions) and no weapons, so no matter how much energy I have, I can never have enough :P

However, I've noticed that using oversized weapons (that use more power than you really can spare and do way more damage than your old weapon) tends to drain your energy way too fast. But that's probably more of a ship design issue than energy per se.