PDA

View Full Version : AI annoyances

ShaggyMoose
01-30-2008, 08:03 AM
A couple of things that have been bugging me about the AI.

1) Trying to rescue an NPC. I rarely succeed with these missions after about level 15. You can't get these guys to leave while there are monsters in the area, yet all they do is run around like a crazy monster magnet! They continue to throw themselves into packs of monsters that otherwise wouldn't have noticed them, while you follow them around alternatively trying to talk to them and save them from being ganked. Its incredibly frustrating. How about just having the NPC stand still and only fight back to defend themselves? Screaming "BRING IT ON" and foaming at the mouth is not the way a guy needing rescue should be acting.

2) Force your travelling companion to attack a monster. There is nothing worse than trying to whittle away at a regenerating unique, while your recruit happily chops away at a harmless zombie for five minutes. Against Turen and Ciglio, this had me grinding my teeth. Maybe there could be a hotkey for "attack my target"?

Also, more of a question than an annoyance. What determines when a priest in your covenant will use their buffs? It seems almost entirely random to me. They could double buff your entire covenant in ten seconds, yet this never seems to happen. Is this a game balance thing, or an AI thing?

kaeruu
01-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Answers:

1) Same here. What do I do if they attack a mob? I let the NPC die. The quest XP is not worth the XP drop if I die anyway.

2) If you're a warrior/rogue, your best bet is tagging along a wizard pal. There is a higher chance that it attacks what you attack UNLESS something else attacks him (bone archers, towers, you get the point). A wizard ideally should bring a warrior/rogue along. This is VERY convenient, as whatever the wizard attacks the recruit almost always attacks it 100%, then you can spam on enemies several hundred feet away (a bug [?]).

As for the priest, it should always buff everyone in the shortest time possible (behavior data dictates so, I think). But it only buffs elemental resistances + any other buff. It never stacks precision, hardiness and shield of fire.

(name here)
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
i'm not sure those even do stack.

1) i've gotten to not even trying them anymore. they seem to die right before i finish off the mosters attacking them when they don't call down the rage of 8 uniques (i counted)
2) given how fast my warrior compainion hacks through the enemies, i've stopped caring.

ShaggyMoose
01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Eight uniques... Top work. Shadow should change the mission description to "stop this NPC from committing suicide by rushing insane amounts of enemies".

2) given how fast my warrior compainion hacks through the enemies, i've stopped caring.
Yes, normally not an issue, but when Ciglio keeps spawning Bashers? NOT FUN.

Delve
01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Rescue missions? They're cake. Free XP for exploring a zone. Priests heal. :D

Also, drag a potion onto them from across the screen if need be; they'll heal.

I'm not sure about potions, but I know a couple of chained lesser heals is enough to garuntee me the aggro of everything attacking my chums. Oh yeah, and it brings them to full health too. Then I just have to survive long enough for my warrior and his new found refugee from a pit fight survival camp to finish everything off by hacking at their backsides, which is sometimes dicey but no more difficult than my average foray into the wilderness.

weelillad
01-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Just posting to confirm that food and potions do indeed heal suicidal NPCs. What I do is pause the game, drag one potion and one food to the idiot before trying to clear the mob surrounding him. Pausing the game also allows me to take a look at the mob and decide if he's rescue-able.

kaeruu
01-31-2008, 01:27 AM

Yes they do. My priest casts me fire resistance + hardiness. And it has the 'defender' property. Quite a useful priest, no?

ShaggyMoose
01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
As noted previously by kaeruu, my priest refuses to stack precision and hardiness. This unfortunately makes him about half as useful.

kaeruu
02-01-2008, 01:04 AM
As noted previously by kaeruu, my priest refuses to stack precision and hardiness. This unfortunately makes him about half as useful.

Not to mention that it almost always prefers casting anything that is 'not hardiness' first, lol.