PDA

View Full Version : Generic whining

Delve
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Why is it that by the time I have enough of a set to be cool, and a character capable of using it, I already have a pair of artifacts either one of which is superior to using the set piece that it would replace even though that means losing the set bonus? Much less using both, which gives me a total of 200 points of armor over and above what the set would have given me. +10 strength? I laugh.

Further, why have item sets been so worthless every time I've encountered them in any incarnation? <sigh> Guess I'll hang poor Mudbeards's trinkets back up in my stash. Here's hoping I don't find something better than Skadd's by the time I get the strength to use it, I've got everything but the axe in that set. I want it to be useful. :(

Kruztee
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, you're so right. I agree with you 100%

I remember feeling the same way about the D2 item sets. I'ts a cool concept, but in reality it doesn't work very well. I guess they are more suited to players who just like to collect stuff for bragging rights. If the set bonus is increased too far (compared to the item levels), then the items become umbalancing (especially combined with the shared stash concept). If left at a more reasonable amount, the bonus is pretty much useless by the time the character has been around long enough to complete the set.

Delve
01-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Mind you, these two artifacts are possibly higher level than Mudbeard's set, but they're so horribly thick in the armor category that I'll probably use them for many levels to come. See:
Blackguard Helm
Light Chain Coif
Rarity: Artifact Basic Type: Mail
93 armor
+11 Dexterity
+46 Attack
+16 Cold Resistance
+8% Find Items Chance
+128% armor
Requires 46 Strength
Requires armor skill: Mail
Sell value: 2SP 90CP
Retail value: 58SP 15CP

Steelcage
Copper Plate Chestpiece
Rarity: Artifact Basic Type: Plate
130 armor
+6 Vitality
+7 Spirit
+20 Armor
+9% Magic Find Chance
+63% armor
Requires 60 Strength
Requires armor skill: Plate
Sell value: 4SP 12CP
Retail value: 82SP 55CP

I admit that Steelcage is requires a good 20 points more STR than Mudbeard's, but Blackguard has requirements equivalent to Mudbeard's (quite a bit less in fact as Mudbeard's is plate) for 3 times the armor value and 10 more DEX points. Not to mention the rest of it. 10 bonus STR for wearing 6 items? Bleh :(

StealthBunny
01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Yep! I have something like three full sets.... but I have pieces of armor or artifacts/uniques that so vastly outweigh the benefits of the sets that it isn't worth wearing them.

kaeruu
01-31-2008, 01:29 AM
Nothing beats Draaien's set. 1300+ armor just wearing the whole set. Quite unbalanced on the elemental resistance department though.

kaeruu
01-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Yep! I have something like three full sets.... but I have pieces of armor or artifacts/uniques that so vastly outweigh the benefits of the sets that it isn't worth wearing them.

But wearing different artefacts are rarely stylish though. I always go for the aesthetic part of the dressing. Metallic Green? Use Draaien. Black & Gold? Use Sven.

Delve
01-31-2008, 05:50 AM
If I had Draaien's I might compare, but I suspect that there are artifacts that level which are superior to that as well.

laclongquan
01-31-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree. I got a nearly full set of Dezz, but those are for collection only, artifacts and unique and rare items can provide better protection per piece. MUdbeard set are cluttering my stash since I am a priest.

Aesthetic? Where are we? in the middle of capital of a civilized kingdom or the howling wildness in the middle of nowhere? Do we need to prove something to someone by wearing a cool set of armor?

That aside, I would like to make a suggestion concerning set bonus. In stead of those itty bitty stat bonus why dont they make the bonus a priest spell, sorta like the imbued, built-in, protection cast on the full set. If there's a set that provide Hardiness level 7+ I will take it, low stat or no low stat... I think.

(name here)
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Where do you get those artifacts? is there some hidden button that gets you artifacts? i only see one group get any artifacts or uniques per world, and i never can buy them. Mudbeard's lasted a while before i found replacements, and i'm still wearing the spaulder.

Delve
01-31-2008, 05:51 PM
It's random luck really. Keeping a treasure potion active as much as possible helps if you can find enough of them. Try to always have a treasure potion on when you kill bosses and similarly high powered monsters or open special chests (bronze, silver, gold, reward, etc).

I found Blackguard and Steelcage in two different worlds, and didn't use either of them with the character that found them since I already had better. :/

StealthBunny
01-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Aesthetic? Where are we? in the middle of capital of a civilized kingdom or the howling wildness in the middle of nowhere? Do we need to prove something to someone by wearing a cool set of armor?

Bah! My rogue likes the pretties! She'd love an outfit of ogre hide or one of the blue hides (I can't remember what they are made of), but they just aren't protective enough compared to what she's wearing now.

(name here)
01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
I found two artifacts today, ditched one and kept the other,

kaeruu
02-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Yes, they lived in barbarian times, so fashion isn't important. I, however live in this modern world and as the one who sees the barbarian for hours of play and "dresses him up", aesthetics do matter to me.:cool:

Oh, and by the way, I manage to get/test the sets by obtaining them in an 'abnormal' way. Simply means I get them without searching for them (mod). But I delete them afterwards, since doing so kills the fun of searching for artifacts and sets. I do this to at least have an idea of "what looks good" and "what is the ultimate set".

Turns out there is no ultimate set, and it just depends on one's preference. I found Draaien's fit for someone who likes armor and I mean ARMOR. Sven's is more for stat additions and elemental resistances, and there's another one that gives 500 attack as a set (Skadd I think).

laclongquan
02-01-2008, 02:03 AM
And I soooo avoided discussing 'dressed her up' conversation....

I loved dressing my character in her most beautiful outfits (it's why I always choose female character in all the game if I can). But this game gave me no such joy... I do wish "equal oppotunity in all classes" being present in this game. (in other words, choosing gender).