PDA

View Full Version : Inventory sharing

ShaggyMoose
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
First up, the shared chest in your house is a great idea. I hate collecting tons of phat lewt only to find I can't use most of it. Being able to share useful items around my characters is great.

However, last night I found myself switching characters for half an hour, shuffling stuff between personal chests and inventories and the shared chest in an effort to get items where I wanted them. It was incredibly tedious and frustrating. I am not even that obbessive about collecting items, so I can imagine the pain of some other players...

Is it possible to make a new interface whereby items can be dragged and dropped between chests and inventories from any character without actually entering the game? This wouldn't allow anything that wasn't possible in game, but it would make it about a hundred times easier.

kaeruu
02-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I think this part requires a lot of programming. Though, I never had item transfer problems before...the only problem was if you had a lot of knapsacks (8 in shared + 3 with you) the screen really gets clogged up.

What I would suggest though is a shared stash that can be viewed the way items are viewed whenever you trade with other covenants. See items on a list view screen with a scroll bar beside it. Much more convenient right?

ShaggyMoose
02-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah, same kind of approach. Even if it was a relations screen with your characters as the other covenants, so you could use the item trade interface.

kaeruu
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
I just hope Shadow reads this anytime soon. :)

Shadow
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I usually read all of the threads fairly quickly. I don't always post in them though.

As for the easier trading between characters, I'm not sure there is a good way to do this code wise.

StealthBunny
02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Would there be a way to simply trade a full knapsack (or whichever storage container) back and forth? That would save a lot of time right there.

Delve
02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
That's not much different from the shared stash, really. Although being able to move the contents of an entire container as a group is something I've wanted since about the second day I played the game.

ovideo
02-07-2008, 06:10 AM
you can't put a sack full of items in your inventory because that would mean... well.. unlimited inventory :D (a knapsack full of kanpsacks, etcetera, etcetera)
it would, however, be nice if you could move full sacks from the slots in the shared stash to the 3 slots in your inventory but i suspect it would be hard to program this limitation.

the best idea, i think, is the one that started this thread: a little utility that can be run from windows that can transfer items from a character to another, or their stashes, or the shared stash.... like a character editor only without the cheating :D

Delve
02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
you can't put a sack full of items in your inventory because that would mean... well.. unlimited inventory :D (a knapsack full of kanpsacks, etcetera, etcetera)

Agreed. Though I've seen games that prohibit container nesting, which would eliminate that problem. Can't be too hard to do.

it would, however, be nice if you could move full sacks from the slots in the shared stash to the 3 slots in your inventory but i suspect it would be hard to program this limitation.

On the contrary. 'Inventory slots' already come in at least two flavors. Those that can hold general stuff, and those that can only hold containers. The game already differentiates the slots; if you allow the player to pick up a full container and simply only let them put it down in a container slot them the problem would seem to be solved. Some of that code already exists, the game will allow you to pick up a generic item, and prevent you from placing it directly into the shared stash slots or your 'container belt' slots. Sorry, I'm making up some of this terminology as I go. :D

The unknown here is, of course, how the game stores and organizes the actual data of what items are and where they logically reside. Which is something only the Shadow knows. Most of the code should already exist; the game can determine if the backpack is empty or not, and it can prevent you from putting just anything anywhere. I think I've seen it prevent me from dropping something as well, I seem to recall trying to pick up something from a vendor's inventory and drop it on the ground and was told I couldn't do that.

kaeruu
02-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Agreed. Though I've seen games that prohibit container nesting, which would eliminate that problem. Can't be too hard to do.

On the contrary. 'Inventory slots' already come in at least two flavors. Those that can hold general stuff, and those that can only hold containers. The game already differentiates the slots; if you allow the player to pick up a full container and simply only let them put it down in a container slot them the problem would seem to be solved. Some of that code already exists, the game will allow you to pick up a generic item, and prevent you from placing it directly into the shared stash slots or your 'container belt' slots. Sorry, I'm making up some of this terminology as I go. :D

The unknown here is, of course, how the game stores and organizes the actual data of what items are and where they logically reside. Which is something only the Shadow knows. Most of the code should already exist; the game can determine if the backpack is empty or not, and it can prevent you from putting just anything anywhere. I think I've seen it prevent me from dropping something as well, I seem to recall trying to pick up something from a vendor's inventory and drop it on the ground and was told I couldn't do that.

Nesting would be good. I'd better start modding. ;)

I think there's actually a way around the data storing/organization process. However I guess it'd take me quite a while. I'll try it asap, hehe.

*edit: Just as I was about to mod, something came up, like this: if 8+3 knapsacks clogs the screen, then WTH am I doing enabling full knapsacks inside knapsacks? Guess I'd better leave it to Shadow. And yeah, I've seen it, coding for a relations screen display of character shared stash is really quite troublesome.

Delve
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
*edit: Just as I was about to mod, something came up, like this: if 8+3 knapsacks clogs the screen, then WTH am I doing enabling full knapsacks inside knapsacks? Guess I'd better leave it to Shadow.

Aaawwww. Where's your sense of adventure? :)

laclongquan
02-08-2008, 05:51 AM
How about the idea inventory sharing editor they said earlier? that kind of thing will be immensely useful:D

kaeruu
02-08-2008, 08:21 AM
How about the idea inventory sharing editor they said earlier? that kind of thing will be immensely useful:D

Then again at the end of the day all we ask is a solution for our own laziness, lol.:o

I don't care if I'm lazy though I want that editor.:D