PDA

View Full Version : My suggestions

orange
02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I considered adding onto someone else's thread, but nah.

So, here they are:
_ upgradable, or designable Houses. IE designed for space, or defense, or resource storage, or having room for all of the available facilities as opposed to being able to defend our lifestone easily, or some choices in between. or even just planting walls and choosing a carpet?
- Moving the "furniture", and adding more "furniture" to the game for your House.
Stuff like traps, static defenses that cost less but do pure elemental damage IE lightning rods. Stuff for your "offduty" covenant members to do, a training thing, or spell research ala dungeon keeper two to gain access to the different spells/skills/furniture.
- Different character types could do different "off duty" things like mages researching or rogues setting traps or detecting infiltrators, priests maintainint the blessings of the relics (or enhancing them)
warriors looking tough...
- Subsets of each class, or specializations. the rogue being able to become a thief, stealing from other houses or an assassin. the mage branching out into other forms of magic, like saaaay...necromancy?
- Multiple floors to the House
- Again, like dungeon keeper, destructable doors and such.
- No House is complete without a nice central foyer with overhead balconies and a sturdy, ornate inner door.
- Influence affecting market prices IE having a large advntage shows in reduced prices.
- Being able to take monsters along for the raid.
- Building your house outside the city.
- Having some say in the cities' development. (IE walls, inner defenses, later on catapults/magical weapons for controlling/pacifying nearby regions)
-A circular landmass around the town, instead of one path, with certain areas designated as "tougher"
- Make the city bigger, less...chaotic. sure, its a small frontier town, but would a stone road be out of place? A courtyard for each House?
-Influence and prosperity, I think, should be demonstrated more, as in my previous suggestions.
- More of a reward for taking an opponent down, like taking over their portion of the town/gear or something.
make it unreasonable, somewhat, to attack a covenant far from your House.
-Hmmm, how about element enhancing furniture, with some giving bonuses for nearby casting (IE defending from a raid), and some maintain a link to a specific character (IE out in the field) with some giving a nice overall bonus but are weaker.
- What about summoning? that could be a class...you could totally put a somewhat fresh spin on it by causing the summons to be situational (IE strong enemies nearby means you summon a defense oriented melee monster, but weaker enemies means you get a ranged monster? or maybe the summon morphs?)
- I totally want to sneak into an enemy covenant and steal their stuff.
- I also want to see my avarice displayed, full/empty bookshelves, a vault filled with my wealth, my armory, my bestiary/aviary/morguery...(what DO you call a zombie living space?) etc...

orange
02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Oh, and I noticed that the undead, while cheap, are kind of underpowered, or at least are average. With better choices available, why get them?
maybe they could have some sort of aura, or lifedraining thing?

(name here)
02-16-2008, 10:23 PM
-well, a stone road WOULD be out of place. this is a barbarian front-line fortress. the massive offensive of the armies of Evil collaspsed in grimalkin forest.
-the only time the town could use a wall is during the seige bombardments, and not often then
-static defenses sound nice, but might be a little strong, especially if the shining blades get them
-destructable doors would be nice
-monsters along for the raid would be nice, but there should be a limit of some sort
-designed for defense would be nice. it would add intersting elements to raiding, which has been pretty disappointing thus far
-mulitiple floors would be a major pain in the DoP interface, but add even more intersting elements to raiding
-no one controls the town
-limits on hitting someone far away would be a pain
- circle would be a pain, but more than one zone immediatly outside the city would be nice. maybe semi-circular, based on distance from town by foot for difficulty?

overall, i like a lot of them, although some might be problematic

ShaggyMoose
02-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Depths of Peril: Sims Edition

SamMcMackin
02-17-2008, 11:43 AM
What is with all the furnature ideas? This is a barbarian outpost of a town, there are like 8 townspeople total.

I love any game that lets you build and upgrade, how about being able to upgrade the town? Building a bookstore, armory, blacksmith etc.

I also love having a job/class tree where you pick something like, Warrior to a Knight or Berserker and maybe the Mage could change into a Summoner

Influence making market prices lower sounds nice, although when I do get high influence I usually am not buying stuff from the market. Maybe influence could "buy" % discounts to market prices?

Why would you want to build your house outside of the city? How could another covenent raid you?

orange
02-17-2008, 12:35 PM
well, if your gonna cite the whole tiny town thing, then realistically, would a covenant leave two doors open to the world or even leave their lifestone at ground level, to be attacked by anyone at all. even vikings had inner defenses, way back when.
by furniture, i meant the lifestone, the bookshelf, the gate crystal etc...
so, its not too much of a jump from moving this stuff to making more, and making a greater variety.
other than that, what im kind of getting at is that influence and crystals should do waaay more.

laclongquan
02-19-2008, 01:46 AM
It's a bloody war camp. Town is too grand a name for it. Why on earth there should be a bookstore there? Who will buy it? Barbarians? Jock fighters?

The warcamp (I called a rose a rose, not by any other names) is in a howling wildness in the middle of nowhere. That fact was/is illustrated by the number of people in town (countable on hands) no civilian houses, and no nearby town/village . Only ESSENTIAL people to war live there (weaponsmith, armorsmith, healer...).

The idea about upgradable stuffs is nice mind you. But one has to ask: is that necessary, especially considering the location?

(name here)
02-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Gee, i wonder what possible use the forwardmost defensive fort guarding the retreat of the entire good world could have for fortifications[/sarcasam] really, how does making a wooden wall with no gate consititute a good defense? or a pair of open doorways leading to the only important part of the building?

laclongquan
02-20-2008, 09:39 AM
It's quite logical really.

A better defense system maybe helpful but WHAT is it for, and WHO will build it, What materials wiil it need? Answer those questions and that's the reasons for you.

And be careful dealing out sarcasm. It's really a two-edged blade.

(name here)
02-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Maybe you missed the part where this is the front line defense of the armies of good. The massed hordes of evil are being held back by jorvek, and the people waiting to escape to the islands would be more than willing to help. As would the charmed monsters, some of whom are quite strong. there is almost certainly stone somewhere, and this is not just A warcamp, this is the MOST IMPORTANT warcamp. The vast armies of evil are fighting each other now, but no one at all belives that will hold forever.

StealthBunny
02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
I want (oh, say maybe at lvl 100) a Covenant Vault, with unlimited storage space.

'Cause this 'Bunny is a packrat extraordinaire.

ShaggyMoose
02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I think something needs to be done to overhaul the storage situation. An external storage editor that allows unfettered access to all player´s storage would be great... I would volunteer to build it if I wasn´t so lazy and had any free time at all (that wasn´t being used playing DoP). I am assuming all the data required to do this is accessible via the saved games? Shadow?

Shadow
02-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Everything is either in the character saves or the global save stuff (all of which is in the char directory).

tuberski
02-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Can you ever get bigger storage than the four slot bags?

SamMcMackin
02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Tuber why did you post in ever single section of the forum? :confused:

To answer you question of course there is more than 4 slot bags. Bags come in 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 slots.

Just a question, how long have you been playing the game?

tuberski
02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I've been playing for 3 days now, I'm the last covenant standing right now only level 7, so obviously, I haven't gotten far into the game.

As for posting in every forum, I had something to say in every forum.

I was curious about the bags, figured it was possible, but didn't know.

SamMcMackin
02-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Ok, Welcome to Depths of Peril! If you have any more questions just ask and they shall be answered. :P

Bagheera
02-28-2008, 02:23 AM
there is almost certainly stone somewhere, and this is not just A warcamp, this is the MOST IMPORTANT warcamp. The vast armies of evil are fighting each other now, but no one at all belives that will hold forever.

interesting thought. it raises the question... "if this is the most important warcamp, then there are other warcamps as well ? and what about those survivors that chose not to flee their city and are scrambling about in the ruins trying to rebuild ?"

town wars, anyone ?

to go along with the thread...

i'd like to see more attention placed on covenant development. right now it feels like they're only around to lend extra weight on attacking or defending other covenants... and not actually "participating" as they would (should) if this were mimicking an online game. it would be nice if covenant members ran off and levelled themselves, brought back loot and money to the covenant treasury... helped themselves to items they can use from the covenant stores, etc...etc...

it'd also be nice if the covenant as a single entity gained experience and levelled (perhaps with added emphasis from gaining alliances, destroying other covenants and winning a game). these levels could gain abilities similar to the relics, but also along the lines of increasing party size, defender slots, storage/library spaces, house/fortress 'upgrade' levels.

i'd like to see a covenant screen, where each member could be assigned a role (adventuring, defending, developing) or something along those lines... maybe something like... idle mages 'research' at a rate consistent with their level and slowly increase the library level (which increases the amount of empty spaces available to be filled), priests 'pray' or whatever and do the same for relic slots, rogues for treasury slots, and warriors for defender slots... whereas all classes contribute to the overall covenant level... a higher level could grant destructable doors... and then a separate wall... perhaps some automated defenses/towers/whatever...

and then extend that to apply to the whole town... and add an option to pit camps against camps... (yes, i understand the weirdness in having rival warcamps... but if there are factions vying for dominance within a warcamp, it stands to reason that they may struggle with outside influences as well)... and well... it would certainly be INTERESTING at higher levels if you fought through a wide array of territories only to reach another town... which could open doors for whole new quest ideas... and it would make being the warcamp "leader" an interesting position, as you faced enemies both within and without... that a town would band together collectively to increase their defenses and total productivity/experience/whatnot... but also fight amongst themselves for dominance... and for games started up as a townwar, the town's initial leader could simply be chosen at random between the highest level... and it doesnt end until one town's leader has nudged the rest into subservience... or oblivion.

and oh... those that arent so fond of the barbarian warcamp motif could easily find an excuse for other themes for the other towns.

and as a quick aside, i'm also fond of secondary/specialized/evolved/prestige classes... i just have little idea how best to suggest them for this game... and this doesnt really seem to be the best thread for it anyways, as most of the focus on the OP was regarding covenants, town aesthetics and actual effects.

(name here)
02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
No, i really think that it would make the game less fun to have everyone running around in the world. rival warcamps would make little sense, but be pretty fun. maybe in a sequel or somthing where they would make sense, or as some special mode that ignores the rest of the storyline, or maybe has a slightly redone story quest set to accomadate it. i'd prefer upgrades being purchasable for crystal, maybe with a slightly raised tax income. also, could their maybe be some generic guard NPCs? it dosen't make very much sense that all the guards in the town center have some special community role.

Delve
02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Guarding is supposed to be your job. That's how barbarian society works.

(name here)
02-28-2008, 09:43 PM
except all the attacks are on the town center and we are on the outside.

Delve
02-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Nobody said we had to be good at it.

What I would like though is some sort of option to send your recruits out to patrol the town, rather than hide out in the covenant house. Just a toggle for each recruit that, when set, will make them wander around town. Preferrably spending most of thier time near the sensitive NPCs.