PDA

View Full Version : Will recruits upgrade their skills, and how ?

rv73
02-19-2008, 01:58 AM
Hi all,
First up, awesome game, thanks for making it fun and cheap. Quite a feat in todays game industry.

Question. My warrior recruit party member (level 17) has the plate armour skill level 0 (zero).
Will he accumulate his own skill points with experience, and add a point to plate armour so to make it actually useful ?
Currently he can't wear it being skill level 0, but yet the skill is there, perhaps using up a valuable skill spot.

What if he never decides to save up his 15 skill points and assign it to plate ?
Will he first try upgrade level 0 (zero) skills first ?

Any info on the recruit skill leveling A.I would be great thanks.

Areli
02-19-2008, 05:17 AM
He will eventually gain it. I'm unsure what level this will happen, but it's probably a consistent level with all such recruits.

If I'm not mistaken concerning the other skills, recruits level them from left to right as shown on the character sheet. For example, if a Rogue had level 5 in Slice, Lethal Blow, Stealth, and Viper Venom, we will shorten this to [5,5,5,5]. With extra levels, this will become [6,5,5,5], [6,6,5,5], [6,6,6,5], [6,6,6,6], [7,6,6,6] etc.

This is also why (in my opinion) it's good to have a priest recruit with holy bolt, prayer, hardiness, and mail armor to get the highest level Hardiness buff possible. After putting the single point in Mail armor, the priest recruit will focus more points on the other skills since she only cycles through three instead of four. This results in a higher level Hardiness buff than a priest who leveled four skills. One of my characters has a level 84 priest recruit with level 23 Hardiness (+230 Vit.) and Mail armor. This would probably max out at level 25 or 26 by level 100; whereas a priest without mail armor would have four skills that only reached level 22 or so (I don't know the actual max achievable).

ShaggyMoose
02-19-2008, 08:15 AM
I have been waiting on the same champion warrior recruit to gain level this skill up for what feels like 10 levels... Haven't actually counted though. "Come on dude, I will BUY you a new set of armour. Get with the program!".

Shadow
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
In general, the recruits will go for the cheapest skill next (cheapest by how many skill points are needed). They will go for the armor skills a bit sooner though. It still takes a while since the armor skills are expensive relative to other skills though.

Celes
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Actually, the warrior with plate at 0, he'll most likely add a skill point at level 22 - 23. I think it's 22. I had my warrior since about level 8 and was watching for when he'd get the plate skill.

rv73
02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Great, thanks for the info all !

kaeruu
02-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Actually, the warrior with plate at 0, he'll most likely add a skill point at level 22 - 23. I think it's 22. I had my warrior since about level 8 and was watching for when he'd get the plate skill.

Most likely because it needs level 22 worth of skill points before the cost of plate armor becomes cheaper than the rest of the skills.