PDA

View Full Version : Craftsmanship, Thy Name is Moon

Delilah Rehm
02-22-2008, 12:25 PM
This month I've been reading Elizabeth Moon like crazy. I still have two Elizabeth Moon books to read to finish two different series. Honestly, I’d rather do that this weekend than go to ConDFW (but I am going!). On Thursday, and friend of mine and I are planning a one day road trip to Austin to meet Elizabeth Moon at a book signing.

Elizabeth Moon has changed me as a writer. She did something that I did in my half novel, only 100 times better. Plus, like Joss Whedon, she has the group thing down, where a group of people care about each other intensely. I don’t have that in my half novel. And I love that group thing, that sense of truly belonging. Also, Elizabeth Moon is a master at weaving plot together. The Vatta series is five books, and the Serrano/Suiza series is seven books. I think I’m going to cry when I finish these last two because the ride will be over, and I’ll miss the characters.

My favorite of the bunch thus far is Rules of Engagement. I find myself replaying events in my mind, like I’ve done with one other book, my favorite book of all time, Beowulf’s Children. Not as much as I did with Beowulf’s Children, but still! It was beyond engaging. As for the shock factor, the bad things people will do to each other, she wrote something here that I never even thought of. I was full of happy elation and desperate anguish when I finished the book. It was amazing, but my writing doesn't begin to compare. Yet. What she did with the Serrano/Suiza series is how I aspire to write, although not necessarily in the science fiction genre.

Still learning...

Delve
02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
She is good, isn't she?

tuberski
02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I have never read Elizabeth Moon, I'm reading S.M. Stirling and Steven Erikson right now.

Delilah Rehm
02-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I just finished Vatta book 5. I've started Serrano/Suiza book 7, but I don't know if I'll have time to read it much for a bit. Life's getting a smidge crazy.