PDA

View Full Version : Playing games with with your SO

Shadow
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm kind of curious how many other gamers are like me and like to play games with their significant other. Delilah and I really like to play games together, but haven't really had many opportunities lately. You would think this would be easy, but the big catch is that we don't really enjoy competing against each other so that rules out most multiplayer games.

Why don't we compete against each other? I create games for a living and play way more games, so I'm usually better at them. So it's no fun for either of us if we are competing directly.

So anyways, we have played a lot of games co-op (Diablo, Star Wars Lego, etc.). Some singleplayer games we have played together by switching back and forth who is actively playing (Zelda). We have even gone as far as starting games, saving instantly, and transferring the saved game to the other person's computer so we could play in the same game (Civ games).

So back to my questions. Anyone else out there that plays games with their significant other? Anyone play primarily co-op with their SO? And finally anyone else go through so much trouble to do it?

ShaggyMoose
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Never really done this. None of my girlfriends are ever really interested in gaming. My current SO actually watched me play DoP for two minutes and then said "how can that possibly be fun" before walking off... Another used to play the Sims, but I would rather eat broken glass and wash it down with battery acid than play that game. Also, I tend to use gaming as "me" time.

I know a lot of people (indirectly) that MMORPG together though.

SamMcMackin
03-04-2008, 03:53 PM
My wife and I play Trickster Online together. Before that we played Doom 3 and Fear. She loves a scary fps!

Taleana
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Ok, seriously, are you prepared to sit here and read a novel in response to your post, Shadow? :D I've been waiting for this question to come up.

I don't know if you've made the connection by now or not, but my SO is also a regular on your board...Desticato. Who, as he was reading this post out loud to me, paused, snickered, and said "You're going to have to respond to this aren't you?" (I was already alt+tabbing out of my current game and opening the website)

We have the same aversion to anything where we would be competing against one another. (With rare exceptions like Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress 2, and other games like that)

I wouldn't say he's better at them...just that he has more experience than I do. I don't think I'd be the gamer I am today if it weren't for him. I had played a handful of games before I met him (Star Trek Armada II, Diablo, Starcraft, City of Heroes, Unreal Tournament, and an assorment of console games mainly) and now I think I spend more time infront of my pc than I do anywhere else.

We do the 'same thing at the same time' gaming quite a bit. Let's take DoP as an example. I'm going to admit up front, he's much better at this game than I am. So he was seeing things I hadn't, and pretty much taunting me with it. ("Oh look! It's a 12 slotted bag!") So he exported nearly his entire shared stash, I put it into my game, and voila, instant fully stocked chest. Not that it helps, mind you. I still die at the hands of Pixies.

We also do this with the Sims 2. We make each other houses, swap sims and pets. Right now, we have the same neighborhood, we're playing the same two sims (one of my creations and one of his) and we have completely different children. (Or will, I don't think his Sims have had their first child yet.) He's got better luck with this game, though. He's never had a Sim die of anything but natural causes, and I well...let me give you a list: I've had a sim get struck by a satellite while watching the clouds, I've had one burn to death because he didn't know how to cook and I didn't stop him in time, I've had one get scared to death when the ghost of another one jumped up through the stairs at her, and I've had one that went crazy. I save much more often now.:rolleyes:

And I agree with you, Shadow, it is a lot of trouble to game together sometimes. We have to buy two copies of the games we want to play together. DoP, Dungeon Siege, Dungeon Siege II, Diablo II, Civ, I could name games until the end of time. MMO's are really a pain when it comes to this. Take Lord of the Rings for instance, they offered a lifetime subscription plan, just like Hellgate: London. If one of us decides to do it, the other one pretty much feels obligated to. Neither of us wants to lose the characters we put time into, and if one decides 'Hey, I think I want to go back to x game for a bit' well, then the other one isn't going to want to be left out.

We also take turns playing games. Like with Neverwinter Nights 2. He'll play through it first, or if we have two copies, we'll play through simultaneously. But at points in the game where you're asked to make a decision we discuss it. He'll take one option, I'll take another, and we get to see two sides to the game without actually having to play it twice ourselves. Bioshock is my one exception so far. I watched him play through that one and was content.

We also have areas where we differ though. Where I like to play Search-and-find games, or Diner Dash-y types of games, he likes to play alot of first-person shooters. (Hence the Bioshock)

I don't do alot of the FPS scene myself. But I enjoy watching him play them, or listening to him play them. There is much to be said of hearing someone squeal with delight at falling off a cliff in Crysis and then 'You've gotta see this...Let me do it again!'

I could keep talking about this, but I know he's itching to read what I've been typing (and deleting, and retyping). So yes, the short answer is yes. We play together, and we go through alot of effort. :-P

Celes
03-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Well, no SO in terms of a spouse but my sister and i do share the computer. We're very different though. I love rpgs like Depths of Peril/NWN, strategy like Civilization and the tycoon games and adventures (?) like Jade Empire. I introduced her to the Diner Dash type games and the seek and find type games within the last year and she enjoys those ones. I do too but I love the other games I play a bit more.

Sometimes she'll ask me what I'm playing, what I'm doing etc. She seems content to just get an idea on some of it but most of it isn't her cup of tea. Usually we do somewhat end up fighting over the computer though because we'll be sitting downstairs together and I'll start to head upstairs to the computer like I usually do and take a detour only to end up in office wondering why she has to come upstairs for the computer at the same time I do when we've been downstairs together for a few hours already. :)

tuberski
03-05-2008, 01:28 AM
My wife doesn't play games and thinks that they are dumb, she does however give me plenty of time to play them.

Shadow
03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I'm quite happy that gaming is one of the interests that Delilah and I share. Our tastes do diverge at times like with the Sims. I won't go as far as eating broken glass to avoid it, but I don't see the point. Well for me at least. I understand why a ton of people like the Sims, I'm just not one of them.

I forgot about siblings. I bet that's fairly common for the younger gamers that have siblings that are relatively near their own age.

Taleana, I seem to remember you saying something about your SO also playing DoP, but I never connected you and Desticato. It sounds like the 4 of us game in a similar manner. We also own 2 copies of a lot of games. As our kids get older we might end up buying even more copies of certain games.