PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Wishlist

nefariousD
08-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I figured it would be nice to have a wishlist thread so folks could add their two cents on features they'd like to see added in future patches or possible expansions, so without further adieu, a few of my own..

* Ranged weapons
* Additional character classes
* 'Summon' related spells
* Ability to feed potions/food to party members

Anyone else?

Shadow
08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I am hoping we can do the first 3 suggestions eventually.

You can actually feed potions, food, drinks to your party members (and some neutral NPCs) right now. You can either pick up one of these items from your inventory and then click on the NPC or you can use the hotkeys for your party. The default is F1 to F5 will give that corresponding party member some food and F6 to F10 will give the corresponding party member a health potion.

nefariousD
08-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Huzzah! Well there you go then. :) Thanks for the info!

Delilah Rehm
08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Multiplayer and more races are the first things that come to mind. I like Ross's idea of adding a small dungeon where the lifestone is kept, and the player can buy traps to line the tunnels. :cool:

Hmmm... more classes, gender for all... new areas, new monsters. I think this is going to be a long thread.

Delilah Rehm

leth
08-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I just like to be able to zoom way out and not have poping ;)

Tirium
08-23-2007, 12:30 PM
-Crafting
-Fishing (but animal crossing-like; and not wow-like, plz;) )
-a Respec Quest
-a pet Class
-something useful for Rogue offhand (or did i miss something?)

waargh
08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
When I think of this game and new possible features, I think of

*D2
*Shadowbane
*Civilization
*Dungeon Siege

So what I'm considering would be:
*An option(?) to spread out the covenants a little more with more main towns or just covenants further apart (to keep them from running into each other so soon. This could be another layer to the strategic component. While worrying about covenants in the same town, you may also have to worry about intra-town relationships. A covenant in your town may upset other covenants, which may make covenants want the deviant covenant in the same town to quit causing grief, via diplomacy or force.
*Some kind of money sink. I know we already have a crystal sink, but a real cash sink to keep the covenant alive. I don't know if the barbarians are in it for cash or totally committed once joined, but perhaps some way for the covenant to break down if this sink is not maintained.
*A resource subsystem that provides additional resources to sustain the covenant (I don't know, food and or cash, or some other XYZ resource).
*Resources can be obtained in farms at town or
*Nodes "in the field" that need to be staffed and defended. Some incentive to protect these nodes (a steady supply of resource? a buffer for intra-town combat?).
*The resource part of the game can be mostly automated or player involved. Sometimes when you play, you don't want to always go out and kill. Sometimes you want to just relax at home, clean house, farm, or otherwise provide some benefit to the covenant or character(s) without going out and hunting.
*More people in the party/covenant
*As with the intra-covenant Diplomacy, something similar, but the factions are gods and have a disposition among each other as well as each guild. Quests or some other way to increase/decrease relationship with gods. If you make happy or piss off a god enough your covenant could be attacked in town or in the field through the god's minions. Some quests make one god happy and piss another off, so player has to make a choice. New abilities or curses based on levels of god disposition?
*If a covenant is defeated, it has the option to "swear fealty" to the victor. Perhaps you donate a portion of xp or resources per unit time. This gives the swearer an opportunity to regroup and "break free" of fealty. Something like this makes the vs covenant part last a little longer.
*Covenant member disposition
*More quests for covenant members even after they joined
*Item degradation and sink to repair
*A way to cast spells from a distance? (Sorry not enough experience with Mage yet, but it seems I have to physically attack to cast, or at least be really close)
*Multiplayer (but low priority on this)

Anyways. That's all I can think of right now. Sorry if it's way out of scope.

Shadow
08-23-2007, 08:29 PM

No you haven't missed anything.

*A way to cast spells from a distance? (Sorry not enough experience with Mage yet, but it seems I have to physically attack to cast, or at least be really close)

You can do this. Just right click on them. This will simply select them and won't move or attack.

Tirium
08-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Different shield types and shield skills would be cool, eventually.

Small for Warrior, Rogue and Priest.
Medium for Warrior and Priest.
Large for Warrior.
Focus Stone for Mage and Priest.

Tirium
08-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Ah, now I did finally see that Player Character Mages Rogues are able to wear Capes; and Warriors and Priests Shield, but what about the Henchmen?

They get only three slots. Weapon, Chest Armor and Shield.

Sorry for my Confusion.^^

nefariousD
08-27-2007, 12:01 PM
A few more..

* Three character parties instead of two (unless this choice was for balance reasons?)
* Ability to continue/load more than one game at a time (currently, you can only load/resume your last saved game)

Shadow
08-27-2007, 12:49 PM
* Three character parties instead of two (unless this choice was for balance reasons?)

There are a few reasons why we did it this way and yes one of them was for balance reasons.

AnalogKid
08-28-2007, 03:47 AM
* Ability to continue/load more than one game at a time (currently, you can only load/resume your last saved game)
Along these lines, since you already have the means to export your character to text files, how about the ability to import a character into a new game? The point is that someone can play a generic character for 20 levels or so, then export and specialize in whatever skills. Later, he can go back to the export version and save the hassle of the first 20 levels, then specialize with different skill concentrations.

It wouldn't break the "no saving" flow of the normal game, because it wouldn't allow continuation of the same world when importing a character. But it would let people take snapshots that were meaningful starting points for future games, instead of just trophies to show-and-tell. :)

Of course, the importable files wouldn't have to be text, they could be binary and possibly even encripted. But if people want to hack, who cares?

nefariousD
08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Along these lines, since you already have the means to export your character to text files, how about the ability to import a character into a new game? The point is that someone can play a generic character for 20 levels or so, then export and specialize in whatever skills. Later, he can go back to the export version and save the hassle of the first 20 levels, then specialize with different skill concentrations.

It wouldn't break the "no saving" flow of the normal game, because it wouldn't allow continuation of the same world when importing a character. But it would let people take snapshots that were meaningful starting points for future games, instead of just trophies to show-and-tell. :)

Of course, the importable files wouldn't have to be text, they could be binary and possibly even encripted. But if people want to hack, who cares?

I believe you can technically do this now. Under the User folder, you can see files (I think two each) for each of your characters, with their name as the file name. All you'd need to do is copy & paste the relevant files and rename them to clone a character. I haven't tried this yet, but I suspect it'll work like a champ. After the full game comes out, i'm tempted to put together a simple program for doing this; I need reasons to practice my c# stuff, anyway. :p

AnalogKid
08-28-2007, 04:45 PM
All you'd need to do is copy & paste the relevant files and rename them to clone a character.
Cool, I thought of that too late. :( Now I'm gonna have to play all the way to lvl 7 without spending any skill points with each class, then clone them and start experimenting... we'll see when I get around to it.

Two more wishes:
- One sided diplomacy. "I'll protect you if you're attacked" instead of "mutual" protection. Or "I'll go raid covenant y". This could be traded for other considerations. Probably the simplest and most straightforward way to implement this would just be covenant bounties. Trade ## of kills for whatever. When you complete the kills (or the target covenant is destroyed), you get paid. That way the AI isn't as open to being screwed by a devious player. This would work both defensively and offensively, and should use similar mechanics to what you already have for other quests. It could even take up a quest slot, if need be, but would be negotiable by the player.

- Item/gold trading on the same screen as other diplomacy. This ties into the one above, because I don't always want to offer my protection just for more influence or crystals. I want CASH! In general, I don't know why they're separate (AI balance reasons?, or GUI reasons?). Maybe someone is willing to trade all their town influence for that cool sword...

AnalogKid
08-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Sorry about so many posts, it looks like I'm taking over recenly. :( I'm sure I'll blow my wad and be out of things to say soon.

Anyway, another wish-list item:

- Loot items from dead covenant bodies. It's cool that you get a bonus chest if you did most of the Lifestone damage, but I want to be able to loot the destroyed covenant's stuff. Here's a scenario:

"I demand you give me that armor or I shall smite you mightily."
"No."
"Give it to me or I will take it off your cold, dead body!"
"No."
"Have at you!"
(slaughter the pathetic weakling's entire Covenant)
"Damn, where'd the armor go?"
:confused:

Vas
08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
- Loot items from dead covenant bodies.

Oh i like that idea.. more often than not my reaction to bonus chests is : "gah ..ok some crap loot for trading" But it would be actually cool to be able getting that glowing artifact sword from the enemy covenant hero that slaughtered your mage recruits several times - i agree. Will also make even more sense to take a look at other hero/recruits equipment.. and make your evil plans - you know.. Or things like selling a good weapon to some other covenant that they gonna equip.. and take it back from their body later ;)..

Delilah Rehm
08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Sorry about so many posts, it looks like I'm taking over recenly. :( I'm sure I'll blow my wad and be out of things to say soon.

- Loot items from dead covenant bodies. It's cool that you get a bonus chest if you did most of the Lifestone damage, but I want to be able to loot the destroyed covenant's stuff. Here's a scenario:

"I demand you give me that armor or I shall smite you mightily."
"No."
"Give it to me or I will take it off your cold, dead body!"
"No."
"Have at you!"
(slaughter the pathetic weakling's entire Covenant)
"Damn, where'd the armor go?"
:confused:

This would be a super cool idea to do in hardcore!!! :D And get all of their gold too!!!

Delilah Rehm

AnalogKid
09-08-2007, 06:49 AM
One more wish for the list...

- Have the third NPC equipment slot for Mages and Rogues be a cape slot, instead of a shield slot that they can never use. This seems to make sense, since PCs swap capes for shields...

Aeon221
09-08-2007, 11:01 AM
More towns, outposts (perhaps crystal mines?), and multiplayer are the things that caught my eye on that list. Don't overcomplicate the resource thing - simple is good, especially when you're supposed to spend the majority of your time hackin and slashin.

One thing I would like to see is raidable caravans! Gimme that thar booty!

Shadow
09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I should probably mention that I usually don't comment much in threads like this, but I definitely read every suggestions post and consider all of the ideas. So if I don't reply, don't take that as a bad sign or anything. Ultimately, I do act on a lot of the feedback that I get.

Jedi_Learner
09-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I'd like to see some more music tracks. The one track that you do have, which plays in Jorvik and on the menu screen is very nice.

Tirium
09-23-2007, 04:38 AM
-an epic dungeon, where you would be able to hunt with all your recruits, or something like that

-more customization options at the beginning. For example: it would be nice if you could set some alliances from the start

theonlystd
10-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Mp

Mp

Mp

Mp

Mp

Mp

Have i said Mp yet?

If a game was ever perfect for Mp goodness it was this one

Asmodean
10-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Theo,

Fancy meeting you here - and I agree, the game would be great with MP.

From what I've seen so far, the client-server code is there already (I think Shadow said that's in case they ever get around to making an MP expansion).

However, I don't think we'll be seeing an expansion until more people buy the game, so spread the word and genereate some publicity if you want to see MP!

All the best,
George

theonlystd
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Theo,

Fancy meeting you here - and I agree, the game would be great with MP.

From what I've seen so far, the client-server code is there already (I think Shadow said that's in case they ever get around to making an MP expansion).

However, I don't think we'll be seeing an expansion until more people buy the game, so spread the word and genereate some publicity if you want to see MP!

All the best,
George
I've allready talked to a few about it and the lack of MP turned most of them off.

Galdred
10-11-2007, 11:50 AM

- Loot items from dead covenant bodies. It's cool that you get a bonus chest if you did most of the Lifestone damage, but I want to be able to loot the destroyed covenant's stuff.

Maybe that would be a little imbalanced, if you don't lose your gear when you lose. However, maybe that would work if both covenants could "wagger" an item before going to war.

What I'd like to see (beside mini dungeons or castles for Covenants, and other cities) would be a way to level my guys: as I can only take one with me, the choices are either to level them all one by one, which would force players to do that only when there is 1 or 0 covenant left (otherwise, it would be a sure way to get left behind), or to focus on one henchman, and fire the other ones as soon as a new recruit is available, which does not suit the theme IMO.

Some quests to level them, or a "covenant level" that would increase your followers XP as soon as theirs is under the covenant level would be a nice addition to counter the throwable companion effect.

Ubbax
10-11-2007, 05:52 PM
-snip- ... a way to level my guys: as I can only take one with me, the choices are either to level them all one by one, which would force players to do that only when there is 1 or 0 covenant left (otherwise, it would be a sure way to get left behind), or to focus on one henchman, and fire the other ones as soon as a new recruit is available, which does not suit the theme IMO.

Some quests to level them, or a "covenant level" that would increase your followers XP as soon as theirs is under the covenant level would be a nice addition to counter the throwable companion effect. - end snip-

In case you're unaware I just thought I would point out that this is already in a way possible. Recruits need not adventure with you in order to level.
However each recruit must be done seperately as you mention.
It is a very fast method though do to the fact that the lower a recruit is in relation to you the faster he levels up.
Keep in mind that the other Covenants are under the same constraints as you.

When you return to town before you turn in a completed quest to receive the experience points;

* Dismiss the recruit that has been adventuring with you
* Select the recruit you wish to level up & add him to the party
* Return to the quest giver for the experience
* Your character receives full quest experience and the Recruit has a modifier applied to the amout he/she receives based on your level differential.

Once I have recruits with the skill sets I prefer I generally only toss a Recruit out of my Covenant now if one comes along that has "Special Powers" in place making them worthwhile to keep. Shadow has mentioned Recruits can have up to 4 of these Bonus Powers. So far I've only ever seen 3 on one Recruit but have seen 2 on a recruit on several occasions. Of course the trick is, or luck of the draw some might say, is to obtain a recruit with Special Powers that complement her/his skills.

Ubbax
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

deadraque
11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Being able to play Fully solo without any convenant, so no diplomacy, no need to go put monsters in your home, I don't like that part of the game at all

More random and different maps in sizes and shapes... always the same square is having not alot of discovery, for explorers like me.

Loot, to much in my opinion 1 to 4 looks max to me on 1 monster depending from normal to boss. As I already said To much Loot kills The Loot.

A more finished village where we can see the NPC's more clearly :) as they look hidden in the grass sometimes.

Sayen
12-07-2007, 06:56 PM
First of all: hiya :)

Just joined the forums and just recently got the game. Quite a bit of fun I have to say :)

Now while I might not be completly done with the game I have had some minor thoughts so I am gonna post them anyway.

- Both genders for the classes
I usually enjoy to play my own gender, so having a female warrior or mage would be nice :)

- options for different banners for the own convent. The book and the Hammer do not always suit my convent name

- a bit less loot, I would have to agree. and some loot balancing. getting all the low level items with a medium- high level character isn't too useful

- less expansive food and maybe some occasions where the food and heal potions are cheaper, not only more expansive.

- some basic attributes for the own convent like the AI convents have. You know like 'raider', 'generous' and the likes

Other than that I can't think of anything else.
I have been having a lot of fun with the game so thanks a lot for all those that made it possible.

EndymyrBrand
12-18-2007, 05:28 AM
It might be nice to not have your covenant placed in the same spot in town every time; either random placement like the other covenants, or be able to choose your starting spot.

Celes
03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Just a couple of thoughts.

- I also like the idea of either gender for any character.
- I'd like to be able to pick my starting skill.
I have a mage that's specializing in fire and ice and I started a second mage to specialize in Lightening and Earth. They both do have the fire arrow when I would have preferred to start my other character with the first lightening or earth spell.
I think this would be useful for any character/class combination.
- I saw a post somewhere but I cannot locate it where someone said by the time you got a full set it was pretty much obsolete, maybe a way around this would be to have set items drop where the level and base stats would increase appropriately. (I mean like a "nimble axe" at level 2 would have a dmg of 1-5 and a "nimble axe# at level 20 would have a dmg of 3-20. The addition of the "nimble bonus wouldn't change") [I hope this makes sense, I don't watch to see how the dmg increases over the levels].
- definately would like to be able to mod each of my PC covenants to change the graphic instead of one default graphic.
- maybe it would be possible to add in some randomly generated stories behind some of the quests...this might be a big undertaking though.
(Edit) Add in better pathing for characters in the underground areas. I don't like having to click within a certain radius before my character will walk anywhere otherwise it's "Area is Blocked" or equivalent message.

Gragt
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Some interesting stuff in there, I have a few ideas of my own but I think I'll refine them a bit more and share them when I feel they are worth it.

But there is one thing I'd still like to share if you plan to make an expansion: if you indeed add multiplayer please do not focus too much on it at the expense of single player.

I love Diablo and still play it from time to time. Or I did until I tried the Depths of Peril demo and now bought the full game. I played Diablo 2 a little bit, found it ok and liked the improvements but I always came back to Diablo. The reason? Diablo is a much more solid single player experience thanks to its list of quests and monster randomly chosen at the beginning of the game. The result is that you never know what you're gonna get when you roll a new character. Diablo 2 instead focused on multiplayer. On that aspect it is a nice game but it translated poorly into single player. The areas are too big for one person, you encounter the same quests every game, the same monsters at the same place with the same uniques... The only random elements are the map layouts and loot drops. It kills the replayability for single player.

I know some other people who, like me, enjoy that aspect of Diablo to be able to start and complete a game in a few hours but have it very different each time. I actually pointed them to Soldak's website and they checked the demo. From what I heard they liked it and may buy the full game. The reason they liked is the same as mine: it has the good parts of Diablo with random quests and random monsters and it is tailored for single player with small maps, and of course it has its own personnal strenghts, the covenant system being certainly the most obvious one.

So all this to say that: please do not focus entirely on multiplayer at the expense of solo mode. If enough people ask for it, it might be a good idea to bring it (and it also seem you started working on it before if I read things correctly) but other people, including me, bought the game because they just enjoy the single player experience.

Doing an expansion with mostly multiplayer additions and only a few single player changes wouldn't make me happy: I might not care for the multi and at the same time would feel like missing on features the expansion would bring but it wouldn't feel too good to pay for it and use only 1/4 of the content. My advice would then be that if you add multi you also make sure there is also a good deal of perfectly viable content for the solo mode. Or you can do an expansion that only adds multi and another one that is only focused on solo if it is at all possible, this is just an idea.

Anyway I'm pretty sure you also consider this, after all DoP in its current state is a single player game and the people who play it enjoy it as it is. Multi could add some interesting stuff but as I said I remembered the transition to Diablo 2 where the whole game was based on multi and not at all adapted for solo.

You made and delivered an excellent game so I have faith in you for the future. I just wanted to share my thoughts after reading many comments asking for multiplayer.

Douweeh
03-25-2008, 03:41 AM
I want...

A base for my covenant that I can upgrade \^_^/ maybe not a complete castle, but a nice customizable base of operations would be neat.
NPCs under my command, maybe a representative of the covenant in a city council, a professional guard for the base, maybe a scholar to unlock extra bonuses from the tomes you collect, a Beastmaster of your own to maximize the efficiency of your creatures etc. All trainable of course \^_^/
A "Collection tome" or something like that that stores information of all the items I've found and the possible magic modifiers, so you'll create a database of the items as you go along \^_^/ maybe even put in some item-forging or enchanting based on it.
To be able to send out people to go adventuring instead of having to lead everyone \^_^/ the current setting is too static for my personal taste, your covenant does nothing as long as you do nothing (except maybe raking in taxes and getting attacked). And I'm not sure but I think that enemy covenants can send all of their people away to adventure.
To have larger adventuring parties \^_^/ two man groups is fun... but four would be more realistic and more fun I'd say, it's odd to respawn on a boss three times and get glimpses of your covenant where all the others are just standing around picking their noses.
Insignificant NPCs in town, currently everyone has a purpose which gives the town a weird feel of abandonedness. Just having some families live there or something, with children running the streets, maybe that way I'll care more when the town is attacked too \^_^/
More (or rather, any) character customization in terms of looks \^_^/ ...that's probably wishful thinking because this isn't really that kind of game, it'd be neat though.
A pony \^_^/

Weeeh, wishlists are fun :D it's probably more wishful than most of the earlier posts, but still :p there's my list,

Douweeh.

segala
03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
*Make the windows move able eg = when we open the skills/inventory/stats
windows , we can't move it around by clicking and dragging it
*Having/Catch pets/monsters that can help you attack monsters
*Allow an account to have more than 1 character
*Items can be stored in kapra/storage like other online games and can be
passed to other characters of the same account.
*Larger adventure parties
*More maps !

ShaggyMoose
03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirium

No you haven't missed anything.

Dual wielding for the win!:)

ShaggyMoose
03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
A better inventory management system, particularly between different characters. Also, the ability to move full bags around, or the entire contents of a bag.
The ability to drag windows. Sometimes when you have a lot open, its annoying not to be able to see the container you want.
As someone else suggested, ranged weapons would be an interesting addition.
More options to protect your lifestone and attack others. Raids often feel like a real grind, especially when convenants are nearly evenly matched.
An option to auto-identify, that will go through each unidentified item in your inventory and identy it. I was going to say just remove identify all together, but maybe this is a compromise? It just gets a little tedious identifying twenty items every time I return to my house.
Although I personally have no use for it, I think MP would be a fantastic addition to this game and help it appeal to many more people.
In addition to the stat and level bonuses that are given automatically, maybe some kind of perk system where you can select a bonus talent, similar to the other covenants and NPCs.

I only have so many suggestions because I have spent so much time playing this game. I really didn't think it would be this good when I bought it. Always a pleasant surprise.:)

tuberski
03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Any merchant can auto identify everything for a small fee, that is the compromise WRT identifying things.

I'd like to be able to go into options and have the ability to automatically use skills that require a successful hit. I rarely use these skills because I'm too busy making sure I'm not dying to notice that I hit successfully.

ShaggyMoose
03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Any merchant can auto identify everything for a small fee, that is the compromise WRT identifying things.
Really? I completely missed that feature! How is it done?

Also, what determines how long something takes to identify? I can't seem to see a pattern.

CaparroZ
03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
MP
and Choose Start Skill (plz i think its easy, and u can add something to tutorial, or help)
i dont like my ice mage have a fire magic :P

(name here)
03-27-2008, 06:26 PM
- more town attacks
- more complex town attacks
- the ability to upgrade the house.

StealthBunny
03-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I want more storage chests!

*ahem*

tuberski
03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Really? I completely missed that feature! How is it done?

Also, what determines how long something takes to identify? I can't seem to see a pattern.

It's at the bottom of their item display "Identify All".

ShaggyMoose
03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I saw it when playing last night. DUH! You can probably cross off that suggestion for the expansion then... :o

Shadow
03-28-2008, 11:21 AM

The time it takes to identify an item is based on your level compared to the level of the item. If the item's level is higher than yours it will take longer. If it is less it will take less time.

(name here)
03-28-2008, 04:54 PM
i guess each enhancement has a level, and the game randomly determines how many are active, without any effect based on the number that exists already. hence the very rare saber which was more powerful than several level-equivelent two-handed uniques.

torikamal
04-13-2008, 02:52 AM
I would also like more things to interact with in the game. Maybe triggers in the dungeons to make doors open, in-dungeon only teleporters. Pots, crates to break. I love to monkey around with little stuff like that.

tuberski
04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I think either, cloaks should be available to all classes, or the shield slot on mages and rogues should be the cloak instead.

I find a whole lot of cloaks that I have no use for.

GeorgiaBoy
05-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Of course, MP and more classes. Softcode the level cap for players, computer covenants, NPCs, and monsters. I believe the cap is 100. If there is a world size limitation, softcode it so the limit takes advantage of all of your system's resources (virtually unlimited maps--exploration ala WoW). This was mentioned-- multiple towns, covenants spawn in different cities (players select where they wish to spawn)...

Just my .02

GB

Thedonkeyman
05-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I'd like to see more complex covenant interactions. I like the previously mentioned gold sink idea mentioned before, for paying wages and such, and maybe being able to take characters away from other covenants by paying them more? Being able to auction items to all the covenants would also be nice, occasionally getting you a little more money if some factions want to keep powerful items out of the hands of others.

It would also be nice if the other factions didn't try to rip you off quite so much in the trading; in return for a tiny trade agreement, I was asked to give away all my crystals and half my influence... and this same deal came up every few minutes, as if I was going to accept it.

A guild alignment system? Setting whether a guild is good or evil, and giving them better diplomacy to like-minded guilds. With the player able to choose their own guild alignments too, of course. And maybe wandering NPCs refusing to join guilds that are opposed to their personal alignments?

Just ideas. Most of my other thoughts have already been mentioned. Brilliant game, btw.

ShaggyMoose
05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Regarding offers from other covenants, it can get really annoying when there are four or five rivals all spamming you with ridiculous offers. Especially when the same ones just keep coming up over and over again. Can we get some automatic control over this? Maybe a "do not entertain offers from this covenant" checkbox on the diplomacy screen? Or make covenants give up if you reject the same (or similar) offer a couple of times? If you change your mind, you can usually duplicate the offer yourself anyway.

serioustiger
05-19-2008, 06:17 AM
Firstly, I've only played one of each class up to about 20 or so, so I'm still a relative n00b – however, loving the “developed-in-my-bedroom” vibe of the game, very similar to Introversion games in that respect and hopefully DoP will have as much success.

Some thoughts for the future:

More skills per class – I love the approach to skills which one might call “semi-traditional” - untraditional in that there is no character level requirement for any skill, only skillpoint requirements, but traditional in that it is based on character growth rather than specific skill use (as in say Dungeon Siege, which kind of worked, or Oblivion where it proved to be a truly awful design decision in an otherwise excellent game). I think it works well in DoP, to a point. Perhaps certain skills need balancing, there does seem to be a trend to min-maxing a small number in each class.

More classes – priorities being ranged weapon, archer/ranger/hunter type (and when I say hunter I'm thinking of the DAoC vision of a hunter, not the cuddly f***ing dwarf with the gun and the bear, honest – yes I'm looking at you, Blizzard). But yes, also some form of “pet” class – perhaps a summoner of some sort (EQ Enchanter or D2 Necromancer types), if they can be balanced. Not bothered about a shifting class (when exactly in fantasy lore did Druids acquire this ability?). Most of all, and this may just be me, I'd love a bard/minstrel type, although this may not be as viable in a single-player, two-person party game, as the viability of singers has tended to revolve around group buffs (which require a group, obv). And it probably wouldn't be most people's first choice.

Better AI – both mob and, at least as importantly, covenant members. After the opposition lifestone gets below 25% why are you all still attacking defenders instead of the stone? Eh? I don't know how plausible it would be to give some control over party members, both on raids and in the wild (e.g. I'd like to have the opportunity to choose which mobs to clear first in a large group of them).

No micromanagement – this is really important – the day I have to chop logs/mine gold/farm fields is the day I stick needles in my eyes. I'm not a hater of RTS at all, I've enjoyed many, although I confess the last one I really enjoyed that required resource-gathering was Rise of Nations (what is that, 5 years old?). However, I can't believe people have suggested more of it, apparently just because it's in other games. Think about this – the mix DoP has at the moment is what makes it different (possibly unique). In the market, there are RTS games and ARPG games. There are some where the mix is – for the sake of argument – about 70/30 (e.g. Warcraft 3, mainly RTS but with a significant role for heroes). I can't think of anything apart from DoP where that's inverted – 70% ARPG but with a light element of RTS which adds something very different and special. Please Steven, don't lose your USP – if people want the wonderful resource-grind micro-management of RTS, let them play Warcraft 3. <\rant>.

Hopefully DoP has sold well enough so far to justify future investment! Like I said, I'm brand new to this, but looking at the dates of forum posts there has been a big drop in activity lately, hope this is not indicative of a mass loss of interest.

~ST.

ShaggyMoose
05-19-2008, 10:07 AM
...looking at the dates of forum posts there has been a big drop in activity lately, hope this is not indicative of a mass loss of interest.
Maybe everyone is just waiting quietly for the expansion, like me.:)

Delve
05-19-2008, 11:07 AM
More skills per class – I love the approach to skills which one might call “semi-traditional” - untraditional in that there is no character level requirement for any skill, only skillpoint requirements, but traditional in that it is based on character growth rather than specific skill use (as in say Dungeon Siege, which kind of worked, or Oblivion where it proved to be a truly awful design decision in an otherwise excellent game). ...

1. That's sort of the hallmark of the Elder Scroll games, and a change to something as central as that would lose them 1/3 or more of there established fan base. Like me. :)

2. I think it rather works, as a system. However, it certainly wouldn't work in DoP. Your character development has to support your game's overall design, and DoP's design would be undermined by a TES-styled system instead.

Better AI – both mob and, at least as importantly, covenant members. After the opposition lifestone gets below 25% why are you all still attacking defenders instead of the stone? Eh? I don't know how plausible it would be to give some control over party members, both on raids and in the wild (e.g. I'd like to have the opportunity to choose which mobs to clear first in a large group of them).

They attack the covenant members because the NPCs are doing damage to them. A dead covenant member doesn't hurt you. They may respawn but that will take time, and that's time you can spend dropping food on your buddies and getting free licks on their stone. If you let them just keep beating on you you wouldn't last long.

Even so, I'd still like to be able to assign target priorities. I hate watching my partner hacking at a styrac while a scavenger lurks around snarfing up the wreckage. Or worse, slaughtering plaguespawn for the scavenger instead of taking out the scavenger or the plaguebringer. :eek:

Shadow
05-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Actually the strange thing is that the forums traffic and the sales don't match very well. The forums have been pretty quiet this month, but it looks like sales will be better this month than last month. Like I said, strange.

serioustiger
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
1. That's sort of the hallmark of the Elder Scroll games, and a change to something as central as that would lose them 1/3 or more of there established fan base. Like me. :)

You're quite right, I shouldn't have singled out Oblivion. The skill development system sucks in all TES games ;) But that's just me.

Even so, I'd still like to be able to assign target priorities. I hate watching my partner hacking at a styrac while a scavenger lurks around snarfing up the wreckage. Or worse, slaughtering plaguespawn for the scavenger instead of taking out the scavenger or the plaguebringer. :eek:

Exactly, a better example than mine.

Desticato
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I've always thought that a key one could press while attacking that would act as a signal to your companion that you want them to engage your target would be a nice addition. I've meant to request that something like this be implemented for some time, but never found the appropriate thread nor opportunity.

Until now.

I adore DoP, but my single biggest gripe about the game since playing the demo for the first time is that the covenant member that I choose to accompany me is more often a liability than a benefit. (S)he'll attack and kill things that break into smaller and more numerous versions of itself (amorphs) and ignore monsters that give birth unless they're killed fast enough (plaguebringers), while simultaneously creating food for a creature that grows more powerful as it feasts (scavengers) and refusing to help me bring down a dimensional gate before it spawns another two-headed, two-swings-of-its-dual-wielded-weapons-and-I'm-dead monstrosity (brutes).

A key that I can hold down that's basically the equivalent of "A little help, here!' would be a godsend.

ShaggyMoose
05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, an "attack my target" key would be a nice addition.

Delve
05-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Just had an interesting idea. Create multiple AI algorithms and apply them randomly to recruits. You'd be more cautious about picking up that higher level rogue with an unknown personality when you've got a perfectly suitable warrior that you already know likes to beat up scavengers first in any and every situation.

Could be implemented as simply as assigning a few random creature preferences from among the 'canon' creature types (I'd exclude mod creatures simply because they're uncertain). Maybe allow a preference for creature rank as well, as in bosses first.

ncc386
05-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I realize many, if not all, of these are probably not doable or uninteresting, but I'd like to see stuff like:

[Crafting]:
I think it would be neat to be able to fish, mine, skin stuff, etc. All the typical
MMO crafting stuff that us crafting junkies can't get enough of.

[Larger Parties]:
One little buddy just isn't enough for me. Perhaps we could be allowed to take as many guild members along as we like, but out of town, the Lifestone won't resurrect them? Once they're dead, they're dead? In town (for raids and whatnot) the Lifestone will bring defending guildies back to life?

[Further World Randomization]:
Maybe randomize the order of the world tiles, too? So, we wouldn't know which way certain world zones are after each restart?

[Basic Multiplayer Support]:
Not MMO, of course. But maybe something to where me and a friend could play together over my LAN?

Delve
05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
[Larger Parties]:
One little buddy just isn't enough for me. Perhaps we could be allowed to take as many guild members along as we like, but out of town, the Lifestone won't resurrect them? Once they're dead, they're dead? In town (for raids and whatnot) the Lifestone will bring defending guildies back to life?

See this post (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3531&postcount=3) for a brief overview of modding the max party size. It doesn't cover preventing resurrection of recruits (which may or may not be possible to mod), but it'll scratch your itch for MMO style dungeon dive parties.

ShaggyMoose
05-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Just some random ideas. I hope they haven´t already been mentioned. If they have, they must be good ideas.:p

New class, Ranger.
- Allowed ranged weapons or daggers.
- Uses leather armour and cloaks.
- Focus on DEX and INT (accuracy and criticals).
- New weapon items bows, crossbows and quivers.
- Each bow/crossbow has its own stats and buffs, and each quiver also. It is assumed that the quivers provide the enchantment to any arrows/bolts contained therein...
- Maybe allow the rogue or warrior classes to use crossbows as well?

More town attacks, more organised resistance.
- Have armies assault the town more regularly. Have armies focus on destroying covenants as well as randomly assaulting towns foke. I like the sneak portal attacks that occur, but they seem very infrequent.
- Have a enemy encampment/base randomly established as a quest. After a short period of time, have the army set march on the town. While the army is on the move, it can be whittled down so that when it arrives the threat is less. Maybe allow killing of the generals to cause the majority of the army to desert.

Add a crafting system for gear enhancement.
- I know, this is a big one and can radically alter the way the game is played. But even something simple like the gem/slot system scratches an itch for more PHAT LEWT and customisation that I am getting.

Upgradeable houses.
- This one has definately been mentioned. However, I don´t want to see the game turned into Dungeon Keeper. Just a few additional accessories or buffs aside from the artifacts would be nice.

I can´t believe I am still playing this game. I haven´t even messed around with modding yet. Its digital crack!

(name here)
05-24-2008, 05:46 PM
More town attacks, more organised resistance.
- Have armies assault the town more regularly. Have armies focus on destroying covenants as well as randomly assaulting towns foke. I like the sneak portal attacks that occur, but they seem very infrequent.
Hey, you stole my idea! also, they have a 2.5 percent chance of happening per quest which can spawn them per 5-10 min.

Delve
05-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Couple of ideas to toss in the pot.

An idea for a house upgrade might include an altar (of some description) that cures poison. Maybe a pool to douse yourself when you're on fire.

Secondly, and both closer to my heart and likely harder to implement, remove the hardcoded restrictions on classes. In other words, allow mods to add a class without having to repurpose an old one.

ShaggyMoose
05-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey, you stole my idea! also, they have a 2.5 percent chance of happening per quest which can spawn them per 5-10 min.
Sorry if it was posted before. I didn´t go through the whole thread. Like I said though, in this case it must be a good idea.:)

(name here)
05-24-2008, 08:08 PM
when it comes to upgrading the house, it shouldn't get too fortified, especially without adding in seige weapons or attacking with guards or what have you. it should also carry over, and it should only get to a certain level of complexity to manage it.

also, you should be able to upgrade the town defenses to some extent. i know we had a flame-war over that already, but if we up town attacks it is a must.

I have played with more town attacks than in most games, and i found that they are INCREDIBLY brutal to NPCs. i lost the weaponsmith and warmaster to a town attack with 5 covenents charging into the town square.

Elrohan
06-13-2008, 07:24 PM
'Ello ello everybody. First post on the forums after lurking and playing the demo to death, and finally giving in to the goodness of the full version...

Some good suggestions have already been made for expansion pack / update options. I've been thinking about the strengths / weaknesses of the game while playing it and here's the lowdown ; (Keep in mind that I have no knowledge of programming whatsoever, just game design - I don't know what the limits are for what can actually be implemented, so I'm just suggesting away. ).

1. Focus
What sets DoP apart from Diablo clone X,Y and Z is the fact that you are leading a group of adventurers against other similar covenants. DoP has the strategic aspects of group management and intergroup ditto. That's pretty unique to the genre, and if the game is to get even better, this is where the
improvements should go - most of them, anyway.

That is, improvements in the group & intergroup management department of the game can make DoP more than a Diablo clone with sidekicks, while improvements such as fishing, socketing, cafting, skill changes, and whatnot will (at best) make DoP a second rate wannabe Diablo-esque, wow3-inspired, copy of a copy of a ...sigh... Let's stick with what's so cool about this game and make it better, yeah ?

2. Recruit management
On a basic level , the limit to one (uno) recruit in your party is flawed - the other four generally just stand around your lifestone catching Z's. Why not bring them all if they're not needed elsewhere ? Perhaps allow more recruits in the field at a given level treshold ? A suggestion here would be to be able to order your recruits to ;

A. Train / Retrain (skill/stat)
Giving a chance of skill/stat point increase given enough time, as well as affording the flexibility to manage your recruits like you manage your own skills - being able to retrain your recruits would allow you to customize them to a much higher degree, making the skills of your posse a strategic choice rather than a draw from the deck.

B. Hunt in area (X) - Send them off to hunt in a specific zone -
This would require a bit of planning in order to make sure the recruits get decent XP for their time but don't get slaughtered every 30 secs - having to manage your recruits in the field would provide a real sense of competition against the other covenants.

C. Guard Duty - What all of the covenant except one does right now...

All of the above would require planning and balancing - a suggestion here is that recruits in the field earn Crystals, Influence, and Money, while the ones on Guard duty do neither, and Training / Retraining actually costs resources.

2. Covenant Control

A. Let there be strategy !
Right now your strategic choices in creating and maintaining a covenant is whether a new recruit is better than an old recruit, and who you want to actively level up. Imagine a game where you could at least give basic orders (Attack my target, Defend my target, Defend Me, Free Roam). Take that to the next level by adding a (Stay close, Keep Your Distance, Go where you like) setting, and the combination would already have added heaps of strategic choice to the game. A choice between (Aggressive / Neutral / Defensive) stances would be excellent as well.

B. Specific Skill Control
Some situational skills (I'm thinking rogues here) demand a high amount of button jamming - which is fine if you're into that. In my ideal game right clicking a skill icon toggles (Auto) on and off - You would still have to actively choose what skills to apply to a given situation by toggling the corresponding ones off/on, but it would make the game vastly more enjoyable ... and in terms of your recruits, direct control over their skills could be exercised in the same manner ; NO, I DO NOT want you spamming fireballs right now. Stick with Arctic stuff, only use armor melt for this raid, etc...

C. Covenant Building / Them Crystals thar
Suggestions for ways of spending crystal that would really enhance the game and allow the player to customize their guilds.

A. Hire Diplomat
For X amount of crystals, hire a diplomat to gain (+ X %) diplomacy bonus.
(And let's see him wander around town after he's hired - immersion !)

B. Hire librarian
Given enough time a librarian can refine the books in the library adding an extra stat bonus / doubling the efficiency of the books.

C. Hire Scout
Scouts gradually map out unexplored regions of the world map - comes in handy for finding stuff in a hurry, like timed quests.

D. Hire Assassin
A hefty one time down payment will get you a covenant assassin who can be sent on (kill hero X) missions - with instant diplomatic problems (WAR!!!) if he fails. When an assassin succeeds, that Hero stays dead. No lifestone ressurecting for you, buddy, and we can take your gear too - we paid for it !

E. Hire Alchemist
The alchemist slowly but steadily supplies potions.

F. Hire Blacksmith
Ditto, but weps and armor.

3. Wrapping up

A lot of other loose suggestions in this thread were really good, thought I'd recap.

A. Add Ranged Weapons.
B. Inventory Management Improvements
C. The option to "fortify" your Covenant.
D. Multiple Towns / adding more npcs to Jorvik and making it a little more believable.

- That's all for now but those were only about 1/3 of the ideas or so -
Feedback anyone ?

[ Lvl 7-12 Mage, Thief, Warrior, Priestess ]
[ Hefty user of Collective Stash Chest ]
[ Did I mention how much I like DoP ?]

... E.

(name here)
06-14-2008, 10:58 AM
well, there's a good reason for not having everyone go out at once:

Player: alright, everyone, we're off to kill Draaien, the orc lord
Recruits: yes sir
Other covenant: (player covenant) is weak. ATTACK!
more covenants: we smell blood in the water, ATTACK!
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Player: *&%#
Draaien: hey, where did they all go?

i do like most of your suggestions, though

Elrohan
06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
well, there's a good reason for not having everyone go out at once:

Player: alright, everyone, we're off to kill Draaien, the orc lord
Recruits: yes sir
Other covenant: (player covenant) is weak. ATTACK!
more covenants: we smell blood in the water, ATTACK!
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Player: *&%#
Draaien: hey, where did they all go?

i do like most of your suggestions, though

Heh, true that. Brought a smile to my face imagining the great big battle of "Let's all kill this particular player-run covenant" ... 30 Heroes assaulting your cov at once ... I'd like to see that, actually. Anyone ever tried getting todos los covenantes aggroing you at once ? (K, too much slang in that previous sentenza).

Thanks for the feedback btw. I hadn't realized it but what you're saying just adds strategic depth to the game - you would have to consider how many recruits you could have in the field and how many were needed for home defense ... If the other cov's behaved accordingly (if you're on top in influence and crystals but have noone guarding your cov, you're really tempting them) ... That would add a whole new dimension to the game and make diplomacy even more important than now.

As a matter of interest are there any penalties to cancelling an alliance, non-aggression pact, etc ? It doesn't seem that way, but I'm thinking it should incur penalties from the other cov's ?

DoP has the potential to really break free from the D2 clones - let's see it happen ! :-)

(name here)
06-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Heh, true that. Brought a smile to my face imagining the great big battle of "Let's all kill this particular player-run covenant" ... 30 Heroes assaulting your cov at once ... I'd like to see that, actually. Anyone ever tried getting todos los covenantes aggroing you at once ? (K, too much slang in that previous sentenza).

Thanks for the feedback btw. I hadn't realized it but what you're saying just adds strategic depth to the game - you would have to consider how many recruits you could have in the field and how many were needed for home defense ... If the other cov's behaved accordingly (if you're on top in influence and crystals but have noone guarding your cov, you're really tempting them) ... That would add a whole new dimension to the game and make diplomacy even more important than now.

As a matter of interest are there any penalties to cancelling an alliance, non-aggression pact, etc ? It doesn't seem that way, but I'm thinking it should incur penalties from the other cov's ?

DoP has the potential to really break free from the D2 clones - let's see it happen ! :-)

yeah, that does happen, both with few members in the house and the swarms of attackers. 3 enemy covenents slaughter the defenders quickly, and they show up a lot at max aggression.

it could well add strategic depth to the game, but there's going to have to be some rebalancing to deal with the more covenant recruits on expedition, without overpowering them for smaller groups

no, there are no penalties for canceling then, but breaking them outright hurts

SevenMass
06-15-2008, 06:48 AM
#1 Multi-player

#2 A multi-player server for all of us to meet, like Blizzards battle.net.

#3 Make it so one can move full inventory containers from one container sloth to an other.

#4 Make it so one can "upgrade" a container simply by dropping an empty container on a lesser one, the superior one will switch places with the lesser one in such a way the items will be put in the replacement. So you can drop a sack you just found on a pouch with 4 items, and you will find the pouch in the inventory slot you dragged the sack from, and the 4 items will be in the sack.

#4b Make it so that if you pick up a better container, the smallest one you have will be auto replaced by the new one, and the old one will be put in your inventory instead.

#5 auto-pause for more screens in single player, such as opening the paper doll part of your inventory and chatting with NPC's. You can make this optional too.

#6 redesign some screens, such as the NPC chat screen. Its very inefficient with a small text area that requires the scroll bar to often, and wasted space to borders and large buttons. While some screens are cramped, the skill charts are comically big with large amounts of empty space.
I wonder what the design philosophy is...

Eisenfaust86
06-20-2008, 06:52 AM
I haven't seen this one anywhere else in this wishlist so I thought that I'd say it: how about the ability to play as a character of one of the other races in the world's lore, just for the sake of completeness? Or maybe even some more music tracks added to the game's playlist (the one-track thing kinda gets boring after a while, ya know...)?

ShaggyMoose
06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
#1 Multi-player
#4b Make it so that if you pick up a better container, the smallest one you have will be auto replaced by the new one, and the old one will be put in your inventory instead.
Not sure I would always want this. Sometimes I want to give the container to another player. It would be nice if this was optional.

#6 redesign some screens, such as the NPC chat screen. Its very inefficient with a small text area that requires the scroll bar to often, and wasted space to borders and large buttons.
Agreed. Also, make it so that the current index is maintained in the trade window when an item is added. I hate having to scroll to the bottom of a long list every time to find the next item I want to trade. It annoying and very accident prone (I traded WHAT!)...

Delve
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Not sure I would always want this. Sometimes I want to give the container to another player. It would be nice if this was optional.

Open the bag inside the stash and drop your extra bag in one of its slots, rather than on top of the bag.

This would be a departure from the usual 'drop an item on a bag and it goes in the bag' process, but not a particularly difficult one to grasp I think. And it takes a lot longer to empty out a bag for an upgrade than it does to open a bag to drop an extra bag inside.

Bogeyman
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I agree with the previous notes that windows should be movable. I'd like to have a little more control on where my windows show up.

Also, I'd like to see the covenant members' inventory expanded to that of the main character. 99% of all the loot that drops is automatically sold, because there is simply no use for it. I'd like to be able to put rings, pauldrons, leggings, etc., on my covenant members.

I'd also like to be able to COMMAND my covenant members. Let's say I'm out adventuring with a priest at my side and I take damage. Chances are, the priest is going to do nothing about it. How about being able to command them to do certain things, like heal me, buff me, etc.

ngajoe
06-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Fun game! I'm surprised how much I like it. There is one thing that's been irking me for a bit--It seems pretty easy to steamroll the other covenants, even if we're on good terms. Maybe I'm only playing it too easy for now...

And what the heck is the difference between a war and a raid, aside from the graphic on the relations screen, and why does it matter?

What I would like to see: You can't raid (enter the covenant house and destroy the stone) unless their relation drops below X, like 25 or so. You can still go to war at any time(killing the characters), which after inflicting enough losses would lower relations to the raid threshold, granting you access to their house.

Why would that matter any? It could force the player to make arrangements with other covenants prior to starting the steamroll of Jorvik. Primarily, it would force a time buffer of sorts in trying to dominate the town, distinguishing raiding from going to war, increase tension due to the staggering of raids and character progression, give diplomacy something useful, etc. and so on. Also allows you to turn on your friends, but not at the drop of a hat. I never liked that as the "industry standard" in 4x games, but then again, I'm just me.

Thanks for the fun game!

ngajoe
06-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Now that I think about it, could I mod the raid limit into the game?

(name here)
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
And what the heck is the difference between a war and a raid, aside from the graphic on the relations screen, and why does it matter?

A raid is a direct attack on an enemy house with an expanded party size, a war is when you beat up on your enemy when you see them.

Delve
06-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Note that a war does not prohibit you from waltzing into the opposing house and trouncing them anyway.
Also, you get bonuses to your 'kill points' for damage inflicted during a declared raid.

Shadow
06-24-2008, 12:20 PM
No, I don't think there is a way to mod a raid limit like that.

The difference between a war and a raid is that a war basically means that the two covenants will attack each other on sight, but they aren't actively trying to destroy each others houses.

Wars tend to give everyone a little buffer between peace and actual fighting so it can give you a warning that trouble is coming. This isn't always the case of course.

Delve
06-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Between AI it seems to always go straight to raiding with no prior declaration of war.

Dylan
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I'd like to see modes patterned after two of my favorite Magic: the Gathering multiplayer variants: "Emperor" and "5 colors of Magic".

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/emperor
Emperor is played by 6 players with three on each team. In each team one covenant would be the emperor while the other two are guards. Emperors cannot raid while each guard may only raid the guard across from them.

I can't find a link to "5 colors of Magic" anywhere, but the idea is that there's 5 covenants arranged in a pentagon and each one wins by defeating the two across from it. That way you share an enemy with each neighboring covenant.

Both of these ideas keep alliances from changing which could improve cooperative multiplayer. Since the humans would have no intention of attacking each other it would be fair if the AI had fixed alliances too.

GeorgiaBoy
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Howdy,

Just popped in again (lots of RL action) to see if there is any further info of an expansion?

Hopefully it will have multiplayer, more monsters (unless some folks made some 3D models), more than one town (to build a WoW like world...), and some of the excellent ideas already mentioned on this forum. Hope to be back more soon...

Have a good one,

GB

Crimson Avenger
07-04-2008, 02:38 AM
3 things I've been thinking about:

1: I agree with people who have mentioned that populating Jorvik would make it feel like less of a ghost town. I think a really dynamic way to do this would be to populate Jorvik with the barbarians who go renegade or get killed and need to be avenged in the quests. That way not only would Jorvik seem more lifelike, but also when Hildigunn goes renegade or Saski's mother dies and needs to be avenged, your character will be like "NOOOOO!!!! not Hildigunn! not Saski's mother!" If this was implemented, the new civilians would have to be designed so they wouldn't nerf town attacks which are one of the most fun parts of DP. Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to attack, only die, or maybe there would just be more and stronger town attacks.

2. Add the game mode "Hardcore (World)". Some people on the forums have complained that DP is too easy (which is completely ridiculous in the first place because DP is specifically designed so that the difficulty is completely customizable) because they get godly equipment from creating 100 lvl worlds and trading for the best gear from the other covenants. They then get smacked upside the head on the first 100 lvl raid, start a new world at their level and become gods with their new equipment. This mode would make players die permanently if they ever lose in one of their worlds. I think it would add some of the edge of normal Hardcore without all the risk (purple energy traps for instance).

3: There are a few exploits with trading (I'm sure Shadow is aware of most of them). The one that bugs me the most is when I trade with a covenant and milk a ton of influence and crystals out of them in return that I raid someone, when I hit "offer" and it goes through, I receive all the bounty, but my relationship is not set to raid for the enemy covenant. One can also possibly do this over and over and over again milking the covenant dry without ever having to raid. This should be fixed so that as soon as you trade for the "raid..." option in the trade screen, you are instantly teleported with your covenant into the enemy house. You also shouldn't be able to cancel the raid for 15 seconds or so.

Sorry I've rambled on... I feel like I have more thoughts that I'm forgetting, but these were the biggest annoyances to me. Great game though, especially since Diablo II no longer runs on MacBookPros.

Oh, one final thing (promise): All items would be enhanced 100% if there were some enchantments that did more than just boost stats (it's a little too vanilla this way. Strategy for choosing which items to use is a little watered down):
freezing, % chance to cast a spell or buff on hit, slowing creatures, extra crushing blow critical or deep wounds, life steal, energy steal, bonus damage to specific creature type (think Corpse Eater Bane).
It's probably way too much work, but if Shadow ever gets a long weekend with nothing better to do....

jureidinm
07-04-2008, 08:03 AM
2. Add the game mode "Hardcore (World)". Some people on the forums have complained that DP is too easy (which is completely ridiculous in the first place because DP is specifically designed so that the difficulty is completely customizable) because they get godly equipment from creating 100 lvl worlds and trading for the best gear from the other covenants. They then get smacked upside the head on the first 100 lvl raid, start a new world at their level and become gods with their new equipment. This mode would make players die permanently if they ever lose in one of their worlds. I think it would add some of the edge of normal Hardcore without all the risk (purple energy traps for instance).

3: There are a few exploits with trading (I'm sure Shadow is aware of most of them). The one that bugs me the most is when I trade with a covenant and milk a ton of influence and crystals out of them in return that I raid someone, when I hit "offer" and it goes through, I receive all the bounty, but my relationship is not set to raid for the enemy covenant. One can also possibly do this over and over and over again milking the covenant dry without ever having to raid. This should be fixed so that as soon as you trade for the "raid..." option in the trade screen, you are instantly teleported with your covenant into the enemy house. You also shouldn't be able to cancel the raid for 15 seconds or so.

I'm pretty new to the game, so I'm not understanding how point #2 works. A level 5 (example) player can roll up a level 100 world and they trade with him? If that's the case, maybe all that's needed is a cap set on level difference for the AI to trade. So if you're not within a certain range of levels, the AI won't give you anything. Or put more level restrictions on what can be worn by players.

I agree with point #3. Overall, trading/diplomacy has to be tightened up a bit as it is relatively easy to increase your standing with the other covenants by dumping your junk on them throughout the game or outright giving them money/crystals. They are too willing to pay for everything you give them, no matter how worthless it is. They should be able to "just say NO" to some of the offers (no influence change).
Maybe make them a bit more aware to "spamming" of gifts. So the first time you give away things (example crystals) they jump for joy, but if you continue to just give away things (in a certain time frame maybe) it has diminishing returns on the influence gained with them - they start to get suspicious as to your "abundant generosity".

If there will be no change in the size of the city (Jorvik), then I would ask for the removal of the teleport stone for raids. The houses are close enough together and actually walking troops over could create fights along the way or just outside the target house, which may make for some more manageable fights than the chaotic madness that happens now whan your party teleports into the enemy house. They could extend (or add) positions for guards to be posted at the doors as well or set on patrol.

Extend the use of raids - stealing things from enemy houses (from their chests or relics). It would take time of course to open the chest/dislodge a relic and so you could be killed in that time by guards. This would make the thief class more useful in raids as they would have a chance to stealthily get to those areas. If the teleport stones are removed for raids, then the player has to run with his stolen goods back to his house - if killed along the way, the stolen equipment is returned. For items in the enemy chests, this can be randomly determined as to which item is stolen (snatch and run!). Of course there will be a good drop in relations with the house you stole from.

Extend the possibility of teaming with other covenants. Right now, you can only team with them if your standing with them is good enough. That's fine. But how about adding the possibility of paying them to join you for a one time mission or even for a set time frame? They could also make such a proposal to your covenant (if you have a member of a certain class/level that they could use)
"The Gilded Coin would like to hire your priest to help with a quest - payment of X and priest will be out until quest resolved/failed or 30 mins (whichever comes first)"
Of course the owning player could cancel that agreement at any time should his house come under a raid....

Delve
07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
"The Gilded Coin would like to hire your priest to help with a quest - payment of X and priest will be out until quest resolved/failed or 30 mins (whichever comes first)"
Of course the owning player could cancel that agreement at any time should his house come under a raid....

I like this idea. Looks like a convenient way to snag a little extra XP for your homebodies. Not so sure about canceling the agreement, maybe at a significant drop in relations for all covenants. Breaking your contracts can get you in trouble.

jureidinm
07-04-2008, 09:51 AM
I like this idea. Looks like a convenient way to snag a little extra XP for your homebodies. Not so sure about canceling the agreement, maybe at a significant drop in relations for all covenants. Breaking your contracts can get you in trouble.

Yes - there should be a drop if you end the contract early.
Let's even take it further.. your priest gets sent away on a contract to help another covenant (getting XP) - things go badly and now a quest pops up to rescue your priest... :D Hurry up or he might die.. permanently ?...

Delve
07-04-2008, 10:17 AM
No, he'd still be tied to your lifestone. Try this on.

The quest goes poorly, and now the AI covenant leader and your recruit are in trouble. Save thier bacon, and get a 50% bonus to your contract price and some good relations with the AI covenant; or fail and lose relations and some lifestone health. I'd say 150% of the normal lifestone loss for losing that recruit to give it some oomph as I normally wouldn't be bothered much by that penalty.

jureidinm
07-04-2008, 10:50 AM
ahh - forgot about the lifestone. Yes, a sufficient lifestone hit would have to be in place for such an event.

Of course the current way of questing together (for free) would still be available once you get in good standing with another covenant.

The AI would have to know when to say "NO" to such a one time arrangement though. It could be abused to purposely try to drain an opponents lifestone without having to actually attack them. Or make it a bigger penalty for the one who made the offer.

ShaggyMoose
07-04-2008, 11:39 AM
2. Add the game mode "Hardcore (World)". Some people on the forums have complained that DP is too easy (which is completely ridiculous in the first place because DP is specifically designed so that the difficulty is completely customizable) because they get godly equipment from creating 100 lvl worlds and trading for the best gear from the other covenants. They then get smacked upside the head on the first 100 lvl raid, start a new world at their level and become gods with their new equipment. This mode would make players die permanently if they ever lose in one of their worlds.
This doesn´t stop them from simply abandoning the world after doing a round of trading. Or just before their lifestone is destroyed. You should make an abandoned world count as a loss as well for this mode to work.

Silent_Tales
07-07-2008, 02:01 AM
-I would like to see the expansion having advanced classes.. Like when you reach a certain level, you can proceed to a much better class..
-I wish the AI covenants could equip armor the complete way, not just 3 pcs. of clothes..
-Every character can equip ALL armor sets (Warrior-Cape etc.)\
-Longer story line (longer MAIN QUESTS)
-a dual-wield ability (one "one hander" in each hand) for the warrior..
-a healing priest NPC :D
-lower weapon requirements.. The weapon requirements are too much.. If you put several points on some stats not needed for equips, you might get left behind..
-more HP per Vit. point
-a different effect or additional effect for spirit..
-Younger looking characters Hehehe!! (The warrior is a man in his 50's :()

Delve
07-07-2008, 09:52 AM
-a healing priest NPC :D
-lower weapon requirements.. The weapon requirements are too much.. If you put several points on some stats not needed for equips, you might get left behind..
-more HP per Vit. point
-a different effect or additional effect for spirit..
-Younger looking characters Hehehe!! (The warrior is a man in his 50's :()

I'm pretty sure all of these can be modded into the existing game.

GaiaThanatos
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Haven't seen many people actually post any new character types, besides a ranger.
But lets try something new ^_^
Suggest a non overused/original type playable character!

Aka, something that is not commonly for player availability.

I'll start off so people can feel the flow ^_^

Character type:
Overlord!
General Overlook:
Towering figure loomed above perilous alcove, the strings of silence being played with serene atonement as clash of rain riddled ashen fields.
When Frame lifted a mere finger, shrieking hordes swarmed across the vast lands. Pillaging and looting valuables from freshly fallen foe's.
While weak, the minions number many.
And why are we doing this you ask?
BECAUSE HE TOLD US TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
[Loving the loyalty here.]

Way of dealing with enemies offensively:
Send out the minions!

Defense:
Plate armor and 2H weapons only.
Slow movespeed.
Send out more minions!

Stat distribution
Very low dex, high HP, str and int balanced.

Weaknesses:
Most abilities are minion based,
If the question of: "where are my minions?" is ever raised,
run away faster >.>

Build:
Minion Tab -
Select the minions you like, many minion choices. More points in a specific minion allow more of them to be created.
Leadership Tab-
Goes according to the minion tab, except choosing a minion upgrades that minion. Giving them better stats. [No leveling automatically for the minions.]
Inspiring Tab -
Global boosts regarding all minions, Some affect the overlord only.
Say a rally call that speeds up minions momentary, or a "must run faster" ability for the overlord.
Power Tab-
Of course, each lordy needs a good set of things that go boom ^_^
Mostly power words, debilitating attacks, and some passive stat boosts, maybe a base minion amount boost.

Thats it for the overlord, ill do one more :p

----

Character type:
Living Weapon!
General Overlook:
As swarming hordes had passed to new grounds for plunder, Lone dualblade lay not so dormant in the serrated leaves of bloodstained grass. Its entity not stirring as stand alone goblin burst out from the threshold. Beady eyes and sniveling grimace drooling about the scene.Squinted Eyes settling on blackened weaponry, greedy hands blindly extended towards it.
Gut-rending slice loudly carved the creature steadily in two, its sudden and unexpected howl cut short as head rolled down the mountain path. The now soaked and hovering blade spinning on axis to clean itself of filth. Before it silently floated away in the shadows, attempting to find its long lost creator, and better material to improve itself.

Offense:
Unexpected strikes from unexpected angles, usually ignoring armor since enemy is perplexed, surprised, and off guard.

Defense:
Besides "playing dead" its best defense is a killer offense.

Stat distribution:
High str, medium dex, Low health, low int.

Weaknesses:
Barely any defenses, no armor slots.
Only weapon slots *[see bottom]

Build:
Core-
Basic attacks and counterstrikes.
With a few passive abilities to choose from.
Also gives expensive option to open up more weapon slots**
Imbue-
A couple imbue types, special enchants that temporarily boost the weapon in some way. Lightning imbue, chain arcs multiple opponents.Fire imbue, AoE damage, Cold Imbue, a slower. Poison imbue, +poising dmg with every hit, and lifesteal as most expensive imbue?
[More then one imbue can be active at a time if mana is available ^^]
Deception-
The defensives of the living weapon, simple ones like play dead. Unerred stab, and lethal accuracy when breaking "play dead" mode.
Also something according to the lines of HP/mana regen when playing dead.
Material-
Material tab refers to the weapon makeup.
thinking only 4 skills in this tab, but all are linked and skill shared, though you have to pick 1 [and only 1] to have active.[all passive]
Axe -
Brutal damage and crits., but attack speed greatly reduced.
Dagger -
Insane speed, but damage reduction.
Staff-
Bonus to imbue abils, [ex, turns a fire imbue into a conflagration imbue][+1 to level of imbue for every level of staff]
Dualbade-
Balanced version, minor boosts to everything.

Dualblade inventory:
Uses only weapon slots, the base stats of all weapon inserted make up the base damage of the weapon.
Living weapon is constantly trying to improve itself, but cant carry normal equip. However can carry other weapons within itself to make itself stronger.
Every level in dualblade inventory opens up another slot, with max of 9.[gives a nice 3x3 square]
Inventory slots are reaaaaly expensive skillpoint wise.

---

And thats the gist of it!

Let loose and put new stuff to the table, its to have fun. so go wild if you feel like it ^_^

-GT

Logorouge
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
-Add more effects to middle and Complete equipment Sets.

-Healing spells for the NPC priest. (with hidden cooldown of 5 seconds for balance issues)

-Add third party member (Level 50 required to unlock)
Taking 1 recruit on the field give 75% xp to party, so taking 2 recruits could give 50 or 60% xp. The full party mod is nice, but I would like an official feature to unlock.

-Change the class level titles.
Instead of Apprentice, Amateur, Expert [class name], it could be different for each class. Like Fighter, Warrior, Warlord, Wargod and Mage, Archmage, etc.

I think the next wishes would be for an expansion:

+Make the covenant HQ bigger.

+Make covenant trait available for player too. Player would have to buy it for a few thousand crystals. The covenant would have only 1 trait and, like the guards, it would not transfer to the next game, BUT the bonus would be nice enough so we would not care.

That's it for now!

krozman
07-16-2008, 10:32 PM
I would add content by making set armor for your level quest armor with different storylines. That makes it less random.

Maledictus
06-10-2009, 05:56 AM
It would seem this thread isn't as lively as it once was, but i'd like to add some things to the wishlist, so here goes.

1. a way to buy off the xp debt.
I understand the need for a death penalty, but i have had occasions where i got killed a few times in a row by mobs. Working of the XP debt is a lot of work, then. What if you could use money to buy off the debt? It would have to be expensive, so that death remains a bad thing and feared. But at the same you give the player the option to choose: pay big money to buy off (part of) the debt, or just continue on. And i like having another potential money sink in the game.

2. the immersion factor.
a. My main reason for playing is always suspension of disbelief. Because of that i find the individual areas (the forest, the desert etc.) rather small. It would be nice if they would be much bigger, so that it doesn't take a minute to walk through them. That would give a much more epic feel to the areas, and makes the use of portals much more valid.
b. The town could use a little more atmosphere. For instance, not having the faction houses planted perfectly aligned creates a much more organic feel. Making the houses look different would be even better. Also, spacing them a bit further apart would be nice.

3. true wide screen. I know the main screen does it right, but the interface is still stretched.

That's about it i guess. I don't care about multiplayer, never liked it much, and the rest has been said already. Thanks.

Killen
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Multiplayer, with the ability too ether play in the same convent, or play in different convents

New kinds of quest, like raids on enemy monster's homes and base of operations, raids on enemy trade routes, ect.

New kinds of weapons - Bows and arrows, throwing weapons, pole and spear weapons

New classes, such as a Ranger class. Skill branches could be an Archery branch focused on skills using the bow, a Traps branch that let's the Ranger set hidden traps, and Bush skills that gives him/her and edge when adventuring (like the ability too find more food, or extra damage when fighting a certain type of monster, or the ability too locate a certain kind of monster)

Duel wielding, some classes should be able too use two one handed weapons, like a Rouge or a Warrior. Duel wielding could even be a bought skill.

Choice of Gender

New Convents

Venerus
06-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Love the game, but a few things really disrupt the tempo for me, and keep me from actually playing the game I like. Disruptions from actually playing the game make the game a lot less fun:

1. Having to go back to base to stand around healing so often. This is a direct result of my being able to kill monsters 10-20 levels above me -- which I do because the rewards (especially experience, but loot, too) are worth it. The difficulty and classes could probably use some tuning so that:
a. Leveling isn't laborious for some classes but a breeze for others (ie warriors)
b. It's more rewarding to quest at-level than to just farm 15 levels ahead/above, but spend half your time at home next to the healthstone. In other words, potentially make quests reward more xp or more cash or items/better items or even skill points (even temporary ones)
c. Include a healing effect for every class -- ie, a portable covenant stone, activated abilities on a long-ish cooldown, regaining some health per kill (bonus: but only if they're withing 5 levels of you, above or below) , cheaper food, higher healing potion droprate, healing NPC's, etc etc

2. Magic find gear -- magic find is a fun idea in principle, but it's inclusion in a hack-n-slash grinding game can really destroy a lot of the fun. The reward for playing and killing difficult monsters is experience (minor) and loot (major). Cool loot is a huge motivator -- it takes a lot of fun out of the game if the cool loot I'm being rewarded with ends up in the pack, replaced with a magic find set. I want to be decked out in legendary artifacts of awesomeness -- not a bunch of yellows/greens with magic find, that's purely there to... wait for it... get the artifacts. Currently, it seems like my "best" option for getting good gear is to wear all magic find, swig a potion and potion my teammate, and let them do all the killing while I follow around collecting loot. The game should reward play and involvement, not passivity and observation. Want to play game, not watch computer play game.

I mean, if I can kill stuff 2x as fast with my teammate, then that's like wearing +100% magic find. If I wear 1000 and kill nothing, I'm still at a 5-fold advantage.

Even more laborious is wearing the great gear, pausing, putting on the magic find gear, unpausing, killing, repeat as needed. This really disrupts the game. It's just not all that fun. If magic find is to stay in the game, please consider:

a. taking it off of gear; only potions can have magic find
b. making a second set of gear for all slots, not just weapon, that's easily switcheable
c. capping its effect (at, sat, 100% magic find) so that I don't feel obligated to min/max my magic find at the expense of the fun toys you've given me to play with.

If magic find is removed, please consider:
a. making quest rewards better or specific (get a piece of draaien's gear every time you kill him, for example, or always get a yellow or better from blacksmith quests)
b. changing loot tables on monsters drastically -- regular mobs only drop silver/gray/green, orange mobs drop yellow and blue, red mobs drop blue and orange, and purple mobs drop orange and purple.

3. Slow, eliminate, or control monster spawns -- it's really quite frustrating for classes that have to kite or dodge around (or heck, just when you have to run sometimes) to find that one side of the map they just carefully and diligently cleared has all of those monsters again. Please consider:
a. removing monster respawns in the absence of specific events (player takes new quest in an area, player command resets monsters, a boss monster appears)
b. warning a player when monsters have or are about to respawn
c. giving the player an option of turning monster respawns on/off in the options menu

peirceg
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I would like to see the option for "Equip Best" button. Simply put it looks through your inventory and the covenant inventory for compatible items and equips them onto all recruits and yourself (based on item level etc) will be a great saver on micromanagement.

also for the computer to be more active on certain quests like recruit recruiting, poison quests, rescue quests etc