PDA

View Full Version : Question about modding.

Douweeh
03-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Hello there, I've been playing Depths of Peril for a few weeks and today first started modding stuff to see if that's any fun, turned out that it is :D

After messing around with experience rates for an hour or two (doesn't everyone start there? :p) I decided to make my own class, which might be a ridiculous idea but I thought I'd at least give it a shot ^_^

Problem is, it won't show up on the character creation screen. All I've done so far is edit the classes.gdb file. What step am I missing? ^_^ and can it be done in the first place?

Thanks in advance and I hope to be part of this nice forum,

Douweeh \^_^/

SamMcMackin
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Welcome to DoP! Modding this game is something I had a lot of fun with. Sadly I never tried making my own class, so I can't exactly help you with that. However, I do know that it is very easy to change the name of a class, edit their stat points, stat growth and edit their skills and skill trees. If you are interested in any of this let me know and I can show you where to look.

Good luck!

Douweeh
03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Welcome to DoP! Modding this game is something I had a lot of fun with. Sadly I never tried making my own class, so I can't exactly help you with that. However, I do know that it is very easy to change the name of a class, edit their stat points, stat growth and edit their skills and skill trees. If you are interested in any of this let me know and I can show you where to look.

Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply ^_^ I think I have editing figured out but I'd really just prefer making my own class, I think it shouldn't be that hard really.
Especially because that way there'd be some variety in the characters running about (4 classes is ok I guess, but more is better, right? :D)

One thing you might be able to help me with though, since you mentioned you know your way around with skill-editing. Is there any way to reduce the copper/silver cost of skill upgrades? that's one thing I couldn't find by myself.

Thanks again ^_^

Douweeh.

Shadow
03-12-2008, 01:33 PM
If I remember correctly, to change the training prices for the skills, change ValueEachPointTraining in systems.gdb.

As for creating a new class. The game is unfortunately fairly hardcoded for 4 classes (which is pretty stupid on my part) so there probably isn't a good way to add an additional class. You can however choose one of the player classes that is already there and completely modify it into a different class.

Douweeh
03-12-2008, 01:57 PM
If I remember correctly, to change the training prices for the skills, change ValueEachPointTraining in systems.gdb.

As for creating a new class. The game is unfortunately fairly hardcoded for 4 classes (which is pretty stupid on my part) so there probably isn't a good way to add an additional class. You can however choose one of the player classes that is already there and completely modify it into a different class.

Awww, and I was looking forward to it too ^_^; thanks for the reply though, I'll try that then. One more question though, the "ClassNpcRogue" versions in classes.gdb are for your opponent I assume?
If I'm going to give my enemies access to the class I'm going to create then I was thinking of powering them down a bit :p

The ValueEachPointTraining variable is indeed exactly what I was looking for, thanks Shadow :)

Douweeh.

Shadow
03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
ClassNpcRogue would be most of the rogues that are in the game except for the player version and true monsters. So this could be rogues in other covenants, rogues that you recruit into your covenant, rogues that need to be rescued, etc.

Douweeh
03-12-2008, 07:11 PM
hmmm, the classes only seem to have animations for the things they're supposed to be able to do. So no rogue model wearing plate armour... too bad, though I guess it would have been odd if that had been in there :p

Slowly but surely my class is taking shape though ^_^ it probably won't be very balanced (I'm no professional after all) but if you like I can post the edited files here when I'm done.

Thanks again to the people who helped with my questions, the ClassNpc_ thingy makes sense I guess :)

Douweeh.

Douweeh
03-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, I've been trying some more things that don't seem to work :p any help/insight would be appreciated.
- Is it possible to have a negative basecost for skills? so I can give my character bad traits in return for skillpoints.

EDIT: Nevermind this one, I figured it out ^_^; it was StatMultMaxHealth, I looked it up in the MagicModifiers.
- I've been trying to edit Health directly (so not the Vitality stat) but with little luck, I'd expect StatMultHealth to be the trick to boosting it percentually but that did nothing. Also, lowering my Vitality didn't change my health total at all, which I thought was kind of odd.

Thanks in advance ^_^ and do stop me if I'm asking too many questions, I'm beginning to get the feeling that I'm a bit of a nuisance. I do really appreciate your answers though,

Douweeh.

Shadow
03-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Hmmm, I've been trying some more things that don't seem to work :p any help/insight would be appreciated.
- Is it possible to have a negative basecost for skills? so I can give my character bad traits in return for skillpoints.

You could try to put a negative number in for BaseCost for a skill but I doubt it would work like you want it to.

EDIT: Nevermind this one, I figured it out ^_^; it was StatMultMaxHealth, I looked it up in the MagicModifiers.
- I've been trying to edit Health directly (so not the Vitality stat) but with little luck, I'd expect StatMultHealth to be the trick to boosting it percentually but that did nothing. Also, lowering my Vitality didn't change my health total at all, which I thought was kind of odd.

Yeah, changing your current health probably doesn't do much, you can only really change MaxHealth. In general higher Vitality will result in more health. I don't think I've tested negative numbers much so it wouldn't surprise me too much if it didn't work for some reason.

Thanks in advance ^_^ and do stop me if I'm asking too many questions, I'm beginning to get the feeling that I'm a bit of a nuisance. I do really appreciate your answers though,

I'm not sure you can ask too many questions. Well I'm sure you could if you really tried, but you're not even close yet. :)

Douweeh
03-14-2008, 04:02 AM
You could try to put a negative number in for BaseCost for a skill but I doubt it would work like you want it to.
Yeah, it didn't ^_^; thanks anyway though

Yeah, changing your current health probably doesn't do much, you can only really change MaxHealth. In general higher Vitality will result in more health. I don't think I've tested negative numbers much so it wouldn't surprise me too much if it didn't work for some reason.
The MaxHealth worked well enough as a negative effect for what I had in mind, actually it's kind of a relief that there's been need for negative stats otherwise :p *remembers negative effects on items in the Diablos <_<*

I'm not sure you can ask too many questions. Well I'm sure you could if you really tried, but you're not even close yet. :)
Thanks ^_^ and thanks for your answers, they're helping a lot,

Douweeh.

kaeruu
03-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Goodbye Priest class...lol

I'd better create other classes as well. :D

Douweeh
03-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Actually I'm replacing the Rogue at the moment myself, never really got into her skills with distractions and stuff so I'm making it completely different and Assassiny ^_^
Though I guess it's very much personal preference as to which class is the least nice/useful in the original game. I like the Priest because she can heal stuff :p (though damage is more than a little lacking)

One technical thingy I ran into last night, I'm trying to make a regeneration skill that lets my Assassin regenerate Health in exchange for Power and can't get it to work properly. Any help with any of the following points would be much appreciated ^_^;

How do I get the power regen inherent to the character to halt while the skill is in effect?
Is there a way to increase the percentage of healing per level of the skill? I tried this and it didn't do anything, making me pick a direct health edit for now.
Is there a way for me to set it up that I can actually disable the skill when I want it to stop? like maybe activating the skill again to make it stop?

Lots of stuff again, I know :o

Douweeh.

Shadow
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't think there is a way to stop you normal power regen, but you can make the skill burn power as it is giving you health. Look at StatusEffectNecroDrain in Database/Monsters/statusEffects.gdb for a look at how to drain power (PowerChange stuff).

You should be able to make it regen more per level. Look at StatusEffectRegeneration and StatusEffectRegenerationPerLevel in Database/statusEffects.gdb for an example.

As for canceling like you want, look at StatusEffectStealth in Database/statusEffects.gdb. If you make the EffectType Cancel like stealth I think it will turn off when you use it again.