PDA

View Full Version : Skills poll

Shadow
08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
What skills are you guys using? What is your favorite skill? What skills don't you like?

waargh
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
This is a little difficult for me to determine given the level limit.

As I usually run as a tank at first, I saved up my points and went for plate.

So all I have access to is plate and the default "extra damage" skill, which I use frequently.

I've been hoarding stat points and spending only as needed to be able to wear the highest mitigation gear.

Started a mage but not far in.

Vas
08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
warrior
-------
favorites:

powerstrike - not god mode like before.. but still very good ;)

crush - no reuse timer so can spam it when lots of rage(wouldn't take it if had reuse timer).

weapon masteries - always have one of em as main skill

arms mastery (cheap method to boost dps with a few points)

focus (focus deal damage - cheap method to boost dps with a few points)

plate armor

gut

left over points in precisicon or if no-dex hammer build - a bit more.

1 or 2 levels of whirlwind /cleave more is not worth it (maybe at very high level) - boosting passive dps first is better overall.

Overpover! -stun is fun

enrage is usefull

----------------------------
don't like / never take:

bleed and crushing blow are better now but wouldn't ever take those at lower levels .

quick temper

taunt

deflection - block and parry have priority in defensive build - to triger the defensive skills.

revenge

some skills become more usefull if you spend enough skill levels on em ..but you would usually only do it at real high levels - retaliation,devastating blow,bleed, crushing blow, quick temper.

nefariousD
08-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Priest -> Mace Mastery
*Awesome* skill. A perfect example of why the Priest is probably the best class. High melee damage, healing, buffs, magic attacks, the best of all worlds. My intuition tells me this skill may even be too powerful, but it is impossible to say until we get the full version in our hands.

Priest -> Regeneration
Without being able to cast this on allies, its simply not awesome enough to plop points into, at least not with the 7 levels worth of skill points we get in the demo. Again, this is likely to be different with the full version.

Honestly, I think a poll like this is likely to give skewed results because of how precious and important the skill points we get in 7 levels really are. With the demo its all about picking skills that are most effective for a level 7 maximum, with the most bang for the buck.

Shadow
08-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Honestly, I think a poll like this is likely to give skewed results because of how precious and important the skill points we get in 7 levels really are. With the demo its all about picking skills that are most effective for a level 7 maximum, with the most bang for the buck.

I'm sure it will be skewed, but hearing what skills people like and dislike even just for the first few levels is useful.

AnalogKid
08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Sorry for being imprecise here, but I'm writing from memory...

There are some skills that increase chance of deep wounds. They seem horribly underpowered. When my henchmen or a monster cause a deep wound, I mouse over the icon and it says something like "0.1 damage per second". As a rogue, I can get serpent poison (not the instant poison, the other one) and at level 1 it does 5 damage per second for 8 seconds. And without a low %chance to activate.

I'll write up a comprehensive skill review per class, based on the demo and my perceptions of what would be useful or not, if you think people (yourself included) would like to read it.

Shadow
08-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey AnalogKid, welcome to our forums. I'm still going to reply to your Codex post also, I've just been a bit busy :)

I have boosted the deep wounds damage since the demo build, so it should be better now. I think you mentioned this in the Codex thread also, but the deep wounds skill needs more/better text.

I think hearing your thoughts on the skills would be useful.

nefariousD
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry for being imprecise here, but I'm writing from memory...

There are some skills that increase chance of deep wounds. They seem horribly underpowered. When my henchmen or a monster cause a deep wound, I mouse over the icon and it says something like "0.1 damage per second". As a rogue, I can get serpent poison (not the instant poison, the other one) and at level 1 it does 5 damage per second for 8 seconds. And without a low %chance to activate.

I'll write up a comprehensive skill review per class, based on the demo and my perceptions of what would be useful or not, if you think people (yourself included) would like to read it.

If you end up putting together any kind of skill review or analysis, please post it in the strategies forum! I'd love to see that kind of info, and I bet plenty of other folks would too! Although, seeing as how many skills are being tweaked for the final release, it may make more sense to wait..

AnalogKid
08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey AnalogKid, welcome to our forums. I'm still going to reply to your Codex post also, I've just been a bit busy :)

I think hearing your thoughts on the skills would be useful.
Thanks, I decided to come here to continue my incessant bitching because it seemed like it was getting more detailed than a general forum would be interested in.

I've now played all 4 classes at least once to the demo limit, and I'll put together a little something in the strategy forum for each, but I don't think I'll go overboard because of possible changes/balancing between demo and release. Maybe it'll be at least somewhat interesting to see the general impressions of balance from someone outside the dev/beta team...

(if only I could alt-tab so I could see the skills tabs at the same time I write ;)

leetby
08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
In general, it seems mage and rogue skills aren't as effective as warrior and priest skills.

As a priest, I could run around shooting holy bolts on the move and never get hit, or I could play a melee priest with greater heal and be able to tank mobs of enemies. As a warrior, anything I made could kick ass with pure killing power.

Priests seem to do more damage and have no downtime compared to mages, plus they regain mana quicker and don't need any potions w/ prayer and self healing.

For rogues, the stealth mechanic didn't really seem effective at all, especially when you're racing to complete objectives before the other covenants. Too easy to see through, too much movement penalty, too many mobs around so you're constantly running away just to get stealth back up, and once they train on you, you have nowhere to run to restealth. Even worse is when the entire maps trains on you while you're trying to find somewhere to restealth. There needs to be a way to vanish in combat, I think.

It also seems like I had to pull off long complex chains of multiple skill investments to do what a warrior could with their autoattack and a single basic rage skill. The one skill I found useful was that death blossom that did AOE on killing something, which almost put me on par with a cleave/whirlwind warrior or aoe fire priest. Applied poison takes too long to act and doesn't really do a lot of damage when I can just kill stuff outright in a second as a priest or warrior. I think the rogue skills with 5 minute recasts should be lowered drastically, even 1 minute recasts are too long, especially when you're up against warrior/priest covenants that level and get things so much faster.

AnalogKid
08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
In general, it seems mage and rogue skills aren't as effective as warrior and priest skills.
I agree completely, and the rest of the detail you mention is almost exactly my impression of Rogues. Nice to see I'm not the only one with those thoughts...

leetby
08-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Aggro mechanics don't seem to be a factor at all. Maybe if this game had multiplayer with a lot of huge, tough mobs or parties of 5+. In this game you can only take 1 follower at a time, unless you're raiding, and even then I found it a lot more worthwhile to just focus on DPS enhancing skills.

I think mages either need bigger aoe's, stronger single target nukes, and faster natural mana regen/more massive mana pool (or something like prayer for priests). Priests are better in every way at the moment. Same with rogues and warriors. Warriors pretty much dominate rogues in every aspect. Shouldn't rogues be getting the best single target damage, while warriors have better defense/survivability/crowd control? The poison blossom aoe seemed like the only really fun/cool skill, but that hardly matters in raids because it only triggers on a kill. Also I've tried multiple rogue builds and usually things die before you can pull off the entire combo chain so you end up wasting a lot of expensive momentum. Warriors get better skills, two handed weapons or the choice to use sheilds - they have much better DPS and tanking. I think rogues need dual-wield or ranged weapons to be able to compete with warriors.

I agree with you Analogkid, dots in general don't scale well and seem like a waste compared to straight damage esp. when you start collecting better weapons. Maybe there needs to be items that enhance DOT duration, DOT tick speed, DOTs that are based on a % of health, maybe a plague skill that spreads poison from one enemy to another, and more poison skills with different effects (poisons that slow enemy speed, make them more vulnerable to damage, lose mana/spiritual power, etc.).

Of course these are only my experiences from building about 20 lvl 7 characters. Maybe the mage and rogue experiences improve with more levelling of specific skills, while priests and warriors are kickass right off the bat and are very hard to break levelling the "wrong" skills..