PDA

View Full Version : occasional CTD type bug

Brysos
03-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Occasionally I get a crash to desktop with the error:

Error: Access Violation 0x42C80000 (tried to read from 0x42C80000 ) Program Terminated

I guess it is a memory error? It seems to happen after I have been playing for a while. Happens a couple of times a night

Shadow
03-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Are you doing anything specific when these happen? A lot of times random crashes are driver related, so you might want to make sure your graphics and sound drivers are up to date.

Celes
03-28-2008, 12:01 AM
You know. I has these errors lots over the span of a few weeks. Almost every time I turned around. I don't know what happened but they stopped almost as suddenly, though I do get the occasional one still but not as much as I did those few weeks and I did nothing to my computer settings or drivers...I usually don't touch too much of anything.

Now that I just said this, I'm sure I just jinxed it.

Gragt
03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Dumb question but is your ram in perfect shape? I once had no problems at all in any games but one. After a while and testing the ram with memtest I discovered one bar was defective. I replaced it and had no more problems at all in that game. Why other games did not have this problem, I guess it was because of the way it used the ram.

Anyway if you aren't sure of it's state, it might be worth testing it with memtest.

Brysos
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Of course I haven't had this problem since I posted! I will try and see if I can discern a pattern. One issue I have been experiencing is nvidia sentinel has been giving me warnings about power consumption and downstepping my video card.

I turned off the various nvidia services (the warning is a bug, not a real problem). Perhaps the two were related.

Delwynndwn
03-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Brysos:
Is it power consumption that it's complaining about? Or is it more heating? I know my vid card has been under-clocked due to over-heating, but once I opened up my laptop and cleaned out all the dust, the problem stopped.

It might be that you just need to get a can of compressed air and do some cleaning. And you're going to need to open your comp right up to do it, not just blow the air through the fan grills.

Brysos & Celes:
Definitely test out your memory if you're getting those kinds of errors:
http://www.memtest.org/

You'll need a CD-burner, with a program that will allow you to burn images (pretty much every one that I've known about). You'll need to restart your system, and boot from the CD once you've burned it. However, if it doesn't boot from CD or give you the option to, you may need to go into your BIOS settings and change your boot order. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can try googling it, or have a comp nerd help you out with it.

Also, as mentioned by Shadow, drivers can be the cause of the problems as well. Make sure your drivers are up-to-date.

Additionally, there's the potential of stray drivers that may still be installed on your system, which could also cause a problem. Remove any random programs that you're not using anymore, and those drivers should be removed. However, if they still show up in the device menu in your system settings, you may then need to manually remove them. However, only do this if you know what you're doing. If you don't, then get the help of someone who does.