PDA

View Full Version : Quests to kill same npc in two different zones

Brysos
03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
I have a quest (storyline) to kill Shankar (purple name) in Deadfall Forest, and I also have a quest to kill Shankar (red name) in Wicked Desert!

That is one overworked viper naga.

I had abandoned the non-story line quest, and then later I got another non-story line quest to kill Shankar, again in a different zone. But this time I actually went to the correct zone and killed Shankar and got credit for both the story-line and the non-story line quest.

I guess it is more confusing than a bug, since the wrong zone location is listed ..

Delwynndwn
03-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I've actually encountered this myself, though with the guy who you need to grab an item from after you kill him (forget his name though).

When I killed the version of him that was in the dungeon, I completed both the story and non-story versions of the quest. Though, later on, I found him again in the location mentioned by the non-story quest. ^_^

I think it's simply that the game engine reuses names, regardless of whether or not the names are for story-quest NPCs, for random quests. I'm sure digging through the various text files in the asset zips could glean a bit more information on this.

(name here)
03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
the bosses aren't actually distinct monsters, they are monsters with legend= 1 who are called up for the story quests, which means they can spawn as quest monsters randomly. your problem comes from assigning a quest to the spawned monster, and the quest doesn't check for which one you killed. check to see if there is a boss named shankar in deadfall forest. each time a monster with the same name spawns, it is exactly identical to every other version you've fought. that's because they are defined as monsters with certain traits.