PDA

View Full Version : Message window transparency

Brysos
03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Is there a way to change the transparency of the message window? It tends to stay pretty large and fairly black long after any significant text has rolled off of it.

Delwynndwn
03-28-2008, 03:01 PM
You can actually use the Up and Down arrow keys to move the messages up and down accordingly. So if you just want to get rid of the messages, just hit Down repeatedly until they're gone. Though, if you want to see a certain message you may have missed, you can simply press Up as often as needed until you get the message you were looking for.

I know how annoying it can get when you have a bunch of messages stacked up, especially after a big round of diplomacy. 0_o

Brysos
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Even when there are no messages it is still pretty big, maybe a 4th of the screen tall. It won't go any smaller, like it gets stuck at that height for a while.

Delve
03-28-2008, 09:08 PM
That happens to me a lot too. If you wait a minute or so it will allow you to manually scroll it back down.

However, if you dig around in the UI folders in the asset zip files (maybe game.mnu? I don't have DoP on this computer) you should be able to find that widget and I think you can adjust it's transparency setting.

Shadow
03-28-2008, 11:11 PM
The background is actually in code for a change, so you can't change it. Usually you can just use the up and down arrow keys to scroll the text messages. I'll have to track down why sometimes you get a bunch of empty lines though.

Delwynndwn
03-29-2008, 03:17 AM
I only occasionally get a empty line or two or three, but never too many. However, after hiding them by pressing down, and then pressing up again, the text for those lines returns.

Brysos
03-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Right now I have 11 lines showing, one line on the very bottom (a recruitment message for my team) and then 6 or so lines until some recent messages. If I play with the scrolling more messages will apear in the blank spots.

After playing a bit more I still have about 11 lines, 3 showing at the top and all blank spaces to the bottom.

Delve
03-29-2008, 10:44 PM
The text will sometimes fade before the line scrolls off. That doesn't bother me much, but what's really irritating to me is when I can't manually scroll the messages. It's noticable right after I complete a bunch of quests or sign a number of treaties, the message box will be large and it won't respond to the arrow keys for a while. Which often leaves me standing around waiting for the messages to start behaving before I go off adventuring again.

Shadow
03-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I forgot there is also a way to change the max number of lines that can be shown at once, the default is 10. The variable is called ui_maxTextEventsShown, you can change this value at the console or in User/user.cfg.