PDA

View Full Version : Gas Bandit Gaming review

Shadow
04-14-2008, 04:17 PM
And another good review over on Gas Bandit Gaming (http://gasbandit.blogspot.com/2008/04/review-depths-of-peril.html). Here's some quotes as usual:

...under the modest exterior the game has an interesting hook that, if it is your particular cup of tea, will keep you tussling at it long past your bed time. ... Novel concepts in combining action RPG play with political intrigue...

Gragt
04-15-2008, 06:54 AM
He makes a few contradictions or should have given better explainations. For exemple he starts with:

The graphics and user interface, truthfully, are probably the game's only truly noteworthy shortcoming.

But at the end praises the:

[...] intuitive interface[...]

At least he liked the game even though he (like many others) seem to take for granted that complex graphics are a mark of quality. I read his review of Crysis to come to that conclusion.

It's my belief that Depths of Peril should be praised to managed to look good while being able to run on older systems. It's not the most complex graphics ever but they are very pleasing and colourful.

Ah well as I said at least it seems reviewers manage to see past the technical aspects (that are outstanding if you look at it a certain way) to see the gameplay under it.

Yeah I'm bitter at the current state of the gaming industry, can you tell?

Edit: I forgot, I do not get the last comment about the gamebryo engine... what's wrong with the current DoP engine?

Delve
04-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Video game reviewers use their eyes too much, and their brains not enough. Fun is fealt through the brain, not the eyes.

It's a bit of a travesty, but they can be forgiven for this because humans are overwhelmingly visual creatures. In fact, I find that I've gotten spoiled and have difficulty enjoying some older games that I used to like. If it doesn't reach a certain level of visual clarity (my threshold is still much, much lower than most reviewers and depends on clarity more than 'realism') or is extremely compelling indeed then I tend to lose interest quickly.

Gragt
04-15-2008, 07:29 AM
I can stand dated and old look, not ugly. Actually some of the games that aged the best are those that did not rely that much on technology and were laughed at at release time. Take King of Dragon Pass for exemple, that game is pure gold and still looks very good as it did back in 1999 because it relied on 2D paintings. Now take the early 3D games and compare them to that...

Anyway at least the good thing is that indie games seem to have a special status in the eyes of reviewers that allow them to not be technically stellar and still get good points for the gameplay. I wish all games would be reviewed that way but then I'm sure many mainstream games would get poor grades.