PDA

View Full Version : NPC names

Kruztee
04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Never tried to mod DoP before, and have a simple question to ask.

I want to add names to the list of randomly spawned NPC's. You know, recruits, rescuees, wandering vendors etc. Not many, but enough that every now and then a name that I have added will appear. Now, I've had a look inside my C:\Games\Depths of Peril\Assets\assets001.zip and found a directory "Names", but there are so many (seemingly unused) lists of names in there that I'm unsure of which one to use... Can I add my own list in there somewhere, or do I need to edit an already existing list?

Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Shadow
04-15-2008, 10:25 PM
You want to add your names to npcsFemale.txt or npcsMale.txt. The rest of the files are just there for reference purposes and aren't used by the game.

Also, the names in those files are used to piece together random names and won't necessarily generate the full names you put in there. You will sometimes get the full names, but most of the time you will get some kind of combination.

Kruztee
04-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Excellent, that's just what I wanted.:D

It's actually very clever the way you have got the random name generator working. Every now and then you might come across a completely unpronouncable mess of a name but on the whole you get some very good mix and matches from the database. I've yet to see "Steve" appear in a game, but I did see a wierd varient of it while I was rolling random names for my new hardcore mage...Something like "Halvesteve", which actually sounds like a pretty good name for a mage.

StealthBunny
04-16-2008, 07:16 PM
I just got a Fred yesterday.

Kruztee
04-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Also, the names in those files are used to piece together random names and won't necessarily generate the full names you put in there.

Cool. I notice that some of the names are proceeded with \\ <whatever>
Looks like traslation from Norse or something similar. Are these names also included in the database?

Shadow
04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
The \\ means everything after that and on the same line is a comment and is ignored by the game.

In the case of the name files, that's usually what the names actually mean.

Delilah Rehm
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah. those were my notes, including some Norse translations. :) It's kind of weird thinking people playing the game can see that stuff!!!