PDA

View Full Version : Speech Mod

torikamal
04-26-2008, 02:30 AM
TKs DoP Speech Mod 0.6 .zip (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/TKs%20DoP%20Speech%20Mod%200.6%20.zip)

10-4-2008
Ver. 0.6
Updates

- I correctly normalized all the voices, so they should actually now play out at proper volume.
- I have now added Varin the Armorsmith dialogue to the mod.
- The warmaster dialogue, "What now?" will now play correctly (instead of not).

Next up is the audio for the tutorial dude.
When that is done, I will record the quest dialogue for the male characters.

I'm still figuring out how to deal with the female characters, though it appears that Delilah may have taken interest, and I'm still trying to get my wife to record one of them (she favors the apothecary). Failing that, I could just get a sex change, though it seems perhaps a bit extreme for a mod. But it's always good to have options :)

09-15-2008
Ver. Beta 0.5

This mod finally works! It's still very much in the early stages. However, you will now get dialogue chat for Torsten the Steward, Airik the Warmaster, and Oslo the Vendor. The Armorsmith is now fully recorded but I haven't spliced it up into individual files yet. Once that's done, I'm going to work on the tutorial guy (is that Torsten or somebody else--I can't remember). Then I hope to record all of the quest dialogue for these characters.

To use this mod, just drop the file above (in the blue text) into the following directory (just create an assets folder if you don't have one):

C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\Assets\

Now you're ready!

To uninstall, just delete the .zip file.

Please let me know of any issues you have of any kind and I absolutely welcome constructive feedback. Let me know if you run into any dialogue (except quest dialogue, which I haven't done yet) that sounds bad, garbled, poorly acted, not loud enough or is just plain missing.

I really hope you guys enjoy!

Gragt
04-26-2008, 11:01 AM
From my experiences, voice messages made by fans are usualy pretty bad.

torikamal
04-26-2008, 03:25 PM
I would absolutely agree with you. However, it can't really hurt to try. Worst case, it all gets scrapped. Best case--cool new mod.

torikamal
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
All that said, what kind of accents do you guys think would be best. It's important question because it is important not to be corny. English, Scottish, Irish, Texan? (j/k). Striking a balance between drama and corny can sometimes be tricky.

(name here)
04-26-2008, 10:47 PM
german. somthing about the forest and the town's desgin make it seem aproppriate. failing that, a best-guess at ancient gallic would be nice.

Kruztee
04-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Scandinavan perhaps?

(name here)
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't think they had the right kind of forest.

Gragt
04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I got an outrageous French accent if you need.

Delve
04-27-2008, 04:11 PM
How's your viking accent these days?

torikamal
08-14-2008, 08:04 PM
I've now been working at Spotlight Department in Comcast, Minneapolis for about 4 months where I've been encoding commercials as well as adding graphics and voice overs for local promotion spots. That said, I've been getting better at the whole vocal thing, so if anybody is interested in givin me a shot, just shoot me some text and I'll lay it down and send it back to ya.

Shadow: I love this game and even if you'd only want some short greetings for some of the villagers, I'm all about collaboration. (Plus I work for free because I want to establish myself as a gaming voice actor. I've got Pro Tools and a good Condenser Mic).

Plus, like I was saying earlier, if I truly do suck you can all have a good laugh.

Silent_Tales
08-15-2008, 03:32 AM
Anyone know about the game named "Fable"?.. I recommend using the game using the accent from that game..
I like to see vendors shouting like market people when you get near them.. Or bosses talking when you get near them just like the game "Titan Quest"..

fab
08-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Can you even add voices to the NPCs in Depths of Peril ?

I haven't looked in depth at the SDK yet, but I doubt we have access to the game code (understandably), other than maybe the shaders I saw in a folder. Maybe there's some AI scripts somewhere? But if the executable did not plan for a sound file to be played along dialogs; you won't be able to do it.

torikamal
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
By the way, I also speak fluent Spanish, so if voice gets added either by a mod or an expansion, I can lay that stuff down, too.

OK, here's some fun--somebody, anybody, give me some lines to record (like just a short paragraph) and I'll record em. Even something stupid. I'll try it in a couple different different accents, post them on my page and y'all can give me some good feedback (bad, too if you'd like; I can take it--I usually only cry for a couple of minutes when I get a papercut)

-TK

Boru
08-22-2008, 05:02 PM
There are some great lines directly in the game. Why not start with one of those?

Oslo: Take everything off their stinking corpses. Take it back. They stole it from us and from our neighbors in the first place. None of it belongs to them.

Torsten: Welcome to Jorvik. We always need volunteers, even ones who can't fight like you. What's that? You're here to fight? Oh sorry. ...

Arikik: Don't come back until you're covered in blood. Their blood!

torikamal
08-26-2008, 11:38 PM
A fair challenge. I'll see what I can do.

torikamal
08-30-2008, 12:10 AM
OK, I gave it a shot and here are my first attempts at some voice acting for DoP. Of course everybody probably already has their own vision as to what the characters sound like in their heads--especially Shadow, so if anybody is interested in proceeding with beginning a mod--send me the scripts, some direction as to what you think would sound good for the characters and whatnot, and let's see what we can do. These are only meant to give an idea of my style and a little exploration of my voice acting range. It's quite fun, actually--put me to work!

I'd also love to hear anybody's feedback--constructive of course. Cheers!

http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/Torsten.wav
http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/Oslo.wav
http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/Arikik.wav
http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/Arikik-Low.wav

There are some great lines directly in the game. Why not start with one of those?

Oslo: Take everything off their stinking corpses. Take it back. They stole it from us and from our neighbors in the first place. None of it belongs to them.

Torsten: Welcome to Jorvik. We always need volunteers, even ones who can't fight like you. What's that? You're here to fight? Oh sorry. ...

Arikik: Don't come back until you're covered in blood. Their blood!

Logorouge
08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow, that's really impressive! I'm amaze by the variety of voice tones and the accent. My favorite is Arikik's speech.

One thing: Torsten seems to speak too fast in my opinion.

By the way, does someone know if we can actually mod this into DoP?:confused:

Shadow
09-01-2008, 12:22 PM
The voices sound pretty cool. To answer someone else, there is not a way to play sounds for the dialog lines right now, but I can probably fix that. I'll look into it for the next patch.

torikamal
09-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys,
That was actually quite a bit of fun, so I think I'm just going to start laying down the voices, so that whenever the patch comes out, they should be mostly done. I'll keep making links to the files so that you guys can continue to give me feedback and guide me in the right directions--make sure to call me out on something, like if a particular phrase doesn't sound good or something sounds just too goofy.

I'm trying to strike the best balance between making things sound dramatic enough, yet as short as possible so that people are less inclined to just click through the dialogue. Thank you, Logorouge, though for the feedback on Torsten--I will keep that in mind and try to tweak my approach to him a little bit. I'll also do Arikik second since you liked that voice. Did you prefer the regular voice or the low one? Also, folks, let me know what you think a particular character should sound like--I really like the Torsten voice (I've always felt he was kind of a tongue-in-cheeky kind of character, so I like how he turned out) and Arikik seems to work, but I don't have much of a direction for the other characters.

I think I may have managed to talk my wife into doing some female vocal parts, though I'm not sure what the results will be in that regard. I'll keep you posted on that and if it doesn't work out, there are definitely other things to try.

I know this is a bit premature, but Shadow, what would be the best way to break up dialogue phrases to incorporate them into a mod (ie by sentence or paragraph, etc.)

Once again folks, thanks for your support and I hope you like however this turns out. Cheers!

Logorouge
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I prefer the regular Arikik.
A patch for allowing voice dialogues will be a great addition.
I can't wait to see that happen! :D

torikamal
09-04-2008, 01:19 AM
OK, here are a few more recordings I've made for Torsten. I took the text from the files in asset03. I'm thinking the easiest way to record them is just to do it in the chunks written in that file. I'll keep updating this, hopefully with a few each day.

Here's my plea to the community--I know I've said it before, but I'll just keep asking--please do quality check on me. If a particular cut just doesn't, well, cut it, please let me know and tell me how you think it would be better. So, if you get a chance, drop me and ear and tell me what's what. Thanks.

StewardIntro.wav (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/torsten/StewardIntro.wav)
StewardChat1.wav (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/torsten/StewardChat1.wav)
StewardChat2.wav (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/torsten/StewardChat2.wav)
StewardChat4.wav (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/torsten/StewardChat4.wav)
StewardChat5.wav (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/torsten/StewardChat5.wav)

Delve
09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Can you make the file managment easier for me?
As in, zip up all your cuts as a single volume, and also provide a zip of just the newest ones? I'm too lazy to download all those files individually ;)

Shadow
09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I know this is a bit premature, but Shadow, what would be the best way to break up dialogue phrases to incorporate them into a mod (ie by sentence or paragraph, etc.)

Off hand I'm not sure. Assuming I can find a good way to add speech support in the first place, I would guess that each dialog would have to be one long wav file (ogg would be better actually).

torikamal
09-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Sure thing. I'll try to put them into packs of 20, if that sounds cool and convert them to .ogg

torikamal
09-11-2008, 12:37 AM
I just thought I'd drop an update since it's been a little while since I posted here. I've finally got a good flow going now for recording, so I should really be able to vamp up production. I'm laying down long tracks in pro tools and then editing them in Audacity. If any of you out there are interested in audio editing, check out Audacity! I just discovered it and it an awesome open source program. Although it multi-tracks, I prefer the single-file editing in it--like Soundforge or Peak.

Anyway, I've got 1-17 of the Torsten chat recorded and should really be able to flow much more easily now. Hopefully by sometime Saturday I should have the first 30 tracks recorded. Maybe even more if get crackin. Stupid work keeps getting in the way, though. Cheers, folks!

scragar
09-11-2008, 01:22 AM
can I point out in advance that ogg is smaller and better quality than mp3, so if you can save directly to ogg, rather than converting, or your going to get some loss in quality.
The default quality setting vorbis will encode with is normaly 6, which is around 192 kb/s although you can set this higher(to 10 which is around 400 kb/s or lower to 0, which is around 64 kb/s). I'd say stick with the default, since most MP3 audio uses a bitrate of 128 anyway.

There's also a pretty good reason why shadow wants them in ogg on the ogg vorbis (ogg comes in 2 formats, vorbis = audio, theora = video) website: http://www.vorbis.com/faq/#dev

torikamal
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Definitely some good info. I probably should have specified. I'm recording to .wav and converting .ogg so we should be good. I am also using vorbis. However, I didn't know about the video format, so I'm totally gonna check that out. Thank you.

torikamal
09-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi folks, here is the first pack of audio files. Give 'em a listen and let me know what needs to be worked on and whatnot. I'm going to try and crank out all of the Torsten files in the next few days and then go back and revise anything that isn't looking so great. Make sure you don't let me skimp out on quality--if something should be redone, don't let me off the hook!

stewardchat1-30.zip (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/stewardchat1-30.zip)

Anyway, thanks again, folks, I hope you like them.

torikamal
09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Scragar,

I love Audacity for vorbis audio, really seems to be just as good as soundforge, if not as pretty (but who cares about pretty? It's open source!).

Do you have a recommendation for an open source program that is like Final Cut for theora?

Audacity-Soundforge,
??????? - Final Cut

Thanks for your time.

torikamal
09-14-2008, 02:55 AM
I went crazy tonight and just decided to finish everything off. Here are all of Torsten the Steward's dialogue files:

stewardchat 1-68.zip (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/StewardChat%201-68.zip)

Enjoy!

Delve
09-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Got 'em. Hopefull I can have a listen soon.

torikamal
09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Just a quit update:
I've got half of Airik's dialog recorded now and should get the rest recorded and edited in the next couple of days. I'm going to do Oslo after that, followed by the armorsmith.

After that, I'm going to tackle the quest dialog which will be a little bit trickier since in a lot of cases you run into situations like this:

Go kill (this many) of (monstertype).

What do you guys think would be the best way to handle this? I'm thinking just have a generic line recorded like "I need some monsters killed" or something like that, though the contrast to the actual text might be kind of jarring.

Female voices--the beastmaster, weaponsmith, and apothecary might be a little bit of trouble.

Delilah: are you at all interested in laying down some female voices? I'm currently in negotiations with my wife to get her to do it, though I don't have her won over yet.

That's it for now, cheers!

Shadow
09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I think I have the code working now so that this will work in the next patch which should come out in the next couple days. Well the beta patch at least.

torikamal
09-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Shadow, you are the best! That is extremely cool. Now, I'll try to keep holding up my end of the bargain. Here is the file for all of the dialogue for Airik the Warmaster:

warmasterchat 1-68.zip (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/WarmasterChat%201-68.zip)

I will probably have to re-record a few of these, but for now I just want to get all the voices out first and then do some replacement fixes later.

Oslo is next.

torikamal
09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Here are the voice files for Oslo:

vendorchat 1-68.zip (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/vendorchat%201-68.zip)

Varin is next.

torikamal
09-26-2008, 08:01 PM
You're probably going to post it somewhere soon since the patch was only just released, but how do I tie the voice files to the audio hooks? (I'm too excited to be patient).

Shadow
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
There is a new section in systems.gdb called DialogSoundSystem, You want to make a new gdb and override DialogSoundSystem. Then you want to add lines like this:

DialogName SoundFileName

where DialogName is the chat name from npcChat.trn and SoundFileName is the sound file you actually want to play.

ex.
StewardIntro Sounds/Torsten.ogg

torikamal
09-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Shadow, I've been normalizing all the files to 0dB. But it occurred to me that your sounds may be set to -3 or something completely different. What would you recommend I use as a peak?

torikamal
09-30-2008, 01:04 AM
TKs DoP Speech Mod Beta Ver 0.5 .zip (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/TKs%20DoP%20Speech%20Mod%20Beta%20Ver%200.5%20.zip )

This mod finally works! It's still very much in the early stages. However, you will now get dialogue chat for Torsten the Steward, Airik the Warmaster, and Oslo the Vendor. The Armorsmith is now fully recorded but I haven't spliced it up into individual files yet. Once that's done, I'm going to work on the tutorial guy (is that Torsten or somebody else--I can't remember). Then I hope to record all of the quest dialogue for these characters.

To use this mod, just drop the file above (in the white text) into the following directory (just create an assets folder if you don't have one):

C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\Assets\

Do an "unzip to here" command so that you end with two new folders looking like this:

C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\Assets\sound
C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\Assets\database

Now you're ready!

To uninstall, just delete those two directories.

Please let me know of any issues you have of any kind and I absolutely welcome constructive feedback. Let me know if you run into any dialogue (except quest dialogue, which I haven't done yet) that sounds bad, garbled, poorly acted, not loud enough or is just plain missing.

I really hope you guys enjoy!

Shadow
09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Shadow, I've been normalizing all the files to 0dB. But it occurred to me that your sounds may be set to -3 or something completely different. What would you recommend I use as a peak?

I wouldn't actually know. They sound like a reasonable volume in the game though, except one of them sounds a bit quiet (Oslo if I remember correctly).

Do an "unzip to here" command so that you end with two new folders looking like this:

Actually it doesn't need to be unzipped. The game can use the zip file directly.

Delilah Rehm
09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
How would I go about recording voices? I worry about background noise like the fridge or the computer. :confused: What equiptment would I need?

scragar
09-30-2008, 12:47 PM
How would I go about recording voices? I worry about background noise like the fridge or the computer. :confused: What equiptment would I need?

A mic and some good software, top recomendation = Audacity, since it's free, open source, and can save as ogg, which you'll want(I don't know if wav would be supported, so just stick with ogg, that way you know it'll work).

audacity has a few options for cleaning up background noise etc, the best way is to find a section where you are silent, and set that piece up as a noise profile(Effect > Noise Removal, Get Noise Profile), then highlight everything and do the same thing, but this time use the slider to decide how much audacity should try to clean it up.

torikamal
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Scragar is right. Audacity is a really great tool. (open source and that rocks!).

The Noise removal plugin that he mentioned in Audacity is also really awesome, too.

It's also really not overly essential in this case to eliminate all background noise since there are so many other sounds going on at the same time in the game.

I've found the best way to record the lines is to just record all the way through. Do each line two or three times (some are tough and just need to be read quite a few times). Don't delete anything, though because it call all be edited together afterward.

If you want, you can just send me the long file and I can cut it up and get it ready.

By the way, Delilah, thank you for even at least considering this--it would be a great help.

torikamal
10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
TKs DoP Speech Mod 0.6 .zip (http://www.torikamal.com/dop%20mods/TKs%20DoP%20Speech%20Mod%200.6%20.zip)

10-4-2008
Ver. 0.6
Updates

- I correctly normalized all the voices, so they should actually now play out at proper volume.
- I have now added Varin the Armorsmith dialogue to the mod.
- The warmaster dialogue, "What now?" will now play correctly (instead of not).

Next up is the audio for the tutorial dude.
When that is done, I will record the quest dialogue for the male characters.

I'm still figuring out how to deal with the female characters, though it appears that Delilah may have taken interest, and I'm still trying to get my wife to record one of them (she favors the apothecary). Failing that, I could just get a sex change, though it seems perhaps a bit extreme for a mod. But it's always good to have options :)

torikamal
10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Shadow, I've got a couple questions here:

I would like to start recording the quests that I think are pretty much just given out by Airik and Torsten.

Do these work the same way as dialogue, so that if I record:

QuestTitleKillTurenScout

it will just play the hook when it comes up?
Also, is there a way to tell who is actually going to speak the dialogue (they don't seemed to be labeled as to whom will do what), and do they also always get them same dialogue or does it rotate like some other quests out there?

Thanks!

P.S. Folks, Hildigunn is the Tutor, so it may be a while until I'm going to have to find some lady to record that.

DetlevH
10-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Vas,

do we have some german guys for the german version of the speech mod?

torikamal
10-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I do speak Spanish, so I'm willing to do a voice for one of the characters (probably Airik or Torsten since I feel like they turned out the best).

If someone sends me a script for one of the characters in Spanish, I'll gladly lay it down.

DetlevH
10-06-2008, 02:41 AM
I do speak Spanish, so I'm willing to do a voice for one of the characters (probably Airik or Torsten since I feel like they turned out the best).

If someone sends me a script for one of the characters in Spanish, I'll gladly lay it down.

There is a spanish mod. Please refer to the mod page.

Shadow
10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I would like to start recording the quests that I think are pretty much just given out by Airik and Torsten.

Do these work the same way as dialogue, so that if I record:

QuestTitleKillTurenScout

it will just play the hook when it comes up?
Also, is there a way to tell who is actually going to speak the dialogue (they don't seemed to be labeled as to whom will do what), and do they also always get them same dialogue or does it rotate like some other quests out there?

Right now I don't have the quests hooked up to play sounds in any way. Quests would/will be tricky to do voice with. Most of them have some kind of variation (ie different monster, person, food/water, etc.) that would make voice awkward or need tons of variations.

torikamal
10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
That's true.
How about just the storyline quests? I think only Airik and Torsten give those out. (I could be wrong on that, though)

However, if it's really too much coding to be worth it, I totally understand. I'm already extremely happy with being able to do the voices for the dialogue.

torikamal
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I think that the voice files are still a little bit too quiet. I'm gonna work on that and get them to a slightly higher level.