PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to mod DoP?

GeorgiaBoy
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I am an amateur modder looking to purchase a game which is easy to mod. My graphics knowledge is limited. I can import .bmp, .gif, .tga files--3D stuff--no dice. I would like to edit .txt files if possible. Editing .xml files can be tedious for me due to formatting (maybe there is a .xml to .txt conversion tool...). So, given this background, would Depths of Peril be easy to mod?

Thanks for your time,

GB

Shadow
04-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Well I think it's pretty easy to mod, but I'm kind of biased. There is no xml so you don't have to worry about that. Pretty much anything that makes sense to do so are plain text files. There is an sdk that contains a few extra tools and documents how a lot of the stuff works also.

Usually you wouldn't have to do anything 3d unless you are making new models.

Oh, I also answered your other questions in the other thread.

Welcome to the forums GeorgiaBoy.

GeorgiaBoy
04-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Shadow. I looked at the map editor. I have a intel dual core t7500 cpu (vista) with a NVidia 8600M GS (laptop video). The objects on the right of the screen look like some are cut off. The map is displayed, but only the bottom half...Is there anything I can do besides deinstall Vista (which I have been DYING to do)?

GB

P.S. I spread the word amongst my D2 playing fans about DoP.:)

Shadow
04-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Can you post a screenshot so I know exactly what it is doing?

GeorgiaBoy
04-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Screenshot attached...

Thanks again,

GB

Shadow
05-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Ok, I know what is going on. It's a bit hard to tell because the editor has a black background and so does the console. The top is cut off because the console is still up. Hit the ~ key again and the console will go away and then you should have an unobstructed view of the editor.

GeorgiaBoy
05-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Shadow,

As usual, thanks for the quick reply. Looks like that works out...looks like I will have to do some tinkering. when I get it figured out, I will post a step-by-step procedure for adding a new map (I learn better hands on)...

Question: Are all maps randomly generated, or can you also have 'preset' maps where the content is always the same (not just Jarvik, the town)?

GB

P.S. A little OT, but I notice Soldak is in Dallas. Ever been to Sonny Bryant's BBQ?

Shadow
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Question: Are all maps randomly generated, or can you also have 'preset' maps where the content is always the same (not just Jarvik, the town)?

P.S. A little OT, but I notice Soldak is in Dallas. Ever been to Sonny Bryant's BBQ?

If you are careful you can make a map that is not random and is the same each time. Just start with the town map, save it as a different name, and build off of that one.

Basically, each map is built randomly based on the connections of each block. Each side of a every block has a connection type. Two blocks can only by next to each other if they have the same connection type. Most of the random levels just have open connections, so almost all of the blocks will fit next to each other. With the town though all of the connections are very specific and there is only 1 block that can fit in each place. So it works exactly like the other levels and goes through the random generator except there is only 1 solution.

Actually I have eaten at Sonny Bryant's many times. When I worked at Ritual there was one within walking distance down the street.

Delve
05-02-2008, 04:38 AM
It's been too long since I had some good Texas barbeque. This pale imitation they serve here is too sweet, just like the tea.