PDA

View Full Version : Collection of small bugs...

fiacaid
05-01-2008, 01:48 AM
First off, I should note that I play Depths of Peril on Debian Linux (lenny) using wine. I've never actually played it on Windows as, for the most part, it works great using wine. Some of these bugs I suspect are bugs in wine, others are more general. None are all that critical.

All (except the first) exist both in 1.009 and 1.010.

- This first may be specific to the 1.010 beta patch (which overall I like): I started a new hardcore game as a priest. This priest is now level ten and to date I have seen two recruits who have been recruited by other covenants and one recruit killed by a monster raid the moment she appeared. I'm guessing this extreme rarity of recruites was *not* intended, though it was a rather different type of game. Tedious beyond words killing the boss mobs without a recruit to give high damage output. One unique was a stalemate because neither of us could damage eachother faster than regneration!!!! On the other hand, probably the first time a solo priest has ever won a conquest victory in Hardcore (and without even a single guard!).

- Don't know if this one is a bug or not: Playing as a priest in Hardcore with a Rogue recruit, the recruit frequently got more experience than I did, even if a level higher and never touched the mob that died.

- Many graphics take about a minute to load after first viewed. For example, the icon for a dagger when first viewed will be some random image, then some time later when viewed again (and from then on) looks correct. Same for monsters when seen for the first time. The shape is correct, but not the coloring. Most like this is specific to wine.

- In the Diplomacy screen when trading with another covenant, if I select something to trade for that I don't have sufficient crystals (for example, a new trade route with a covenant that doesn't like me), if I manually add all my crystals then ask "what would make this trade work", crystals get added to the trade a second time. Doing this it is possible to add up to twice the number of crystals to a trade as I actually have. I've seen the same happen with money and influence, but not as repeatable.

- Earless orcs, Headless skeletons, and other obsurdities. I admit, this one just bugs me. I freuqently get collection quests for body parts, then kill a few dozen of the correct monster without even ONE drop of the requested item, much less the FIFTEEN I need. Did all the orcs cut off their ears just to annoy me? Have the skeletons sold their own heads to my rival covenants?

- Of course, not half so annoying as getting a recruiting quest for a something that doesn't actually exist in the zone....seems to happen a lot with dimensional gates. Usually fixable by restarting the game or killing everying and waiting for the respawn, but still annoying.

- Rediculously simple quests: I sometimes get a quest on the order of "kill one monster" in a zone I haven't been to in ten levels....for a reward of 20 exp. Why exactly would I want to do this when I'm getting 150 exp per kill in the zone I'm currently in for the main storyline quest?

Shadow
05-01-2008, 04:38 PM
First off, I should note that I play Depths of Peril on Debian Linux (lenny) using wine. I've never actually played it on Windows as, for the most part, it works great using wine. Some of these bugs I suspect are bugs in wine, others are more general. None are all that critical.

- Many graphics take about a minute to load after first viewed. For example, the icon for a dagger when first viewed will be some random image, then some time later when viewed again (and from then on) looks correct. Same for monsters when seen for the first time. The shape is correct, but not the coloring. Most like this is specific to wine.

I believe this is a wine issue. The only other person I have heard this from was also using wine. It did the same thing for him. The texture would be missing for a bit and then when loaded would work fine.

- In the Diplomacy screen when trading with another covenant, if I select something to trade for that I don't have sufficient crystals (for example, a new trade route with a covenant that doesn't like me), if I manually add all my crystals then ask "what would make this trade work", crystals get added to the trade a second time. Doing this it is possible to add up to twice the number of crystals to a trade as I actually have. I've seen the same happen with money and influence, but not as repeatable.

- Don't know if this one is a bug or not: Playing as a priest in Hardcore with a Rogue recruit, the recruit frequently got more experience than I did, even if a level higher and never touched the mob that died.

These two sound like they might be bugs, I'll look into them.

- Of course, not half so annoying as getting a recruiting quest for a something that doesn't actually exist in the zone....seems to happen a lot with dimensional gates. Usually fixable by restarting the game or killing everying and waiting for the respawn, but still annoying.

This is true, the thing you are looking for might not exist at this exact moment because of the random spawns. It will have a much higher chance than normal of spawning though.

The other issues were basically bad luck.