PDA

View Full Version : Two More Questions...

GeorgiaBoy
05-02-2008, 05:23 PM
The more I look into this game, the more I can see a cross between WoW, but not an MMO (GREAT!) and Diablo 2. Anyway, I have two questions:

1) Has anyone added any new monster animations (goblin, kobold, bugbear, giants, etc.)?

2) How does one set the amount of damage a weapon does or the amount of protection armor renders (another noob question)?

This game is like an onion--MANY layers to peel back...

GB

Shadow
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I'll answer the second question at least.

To change the damage of the weapons, change the values of the following parameters in the gdb of which weapon you want to modify (like Database/Items/dagger.gdb): MinDamageBase, MaxDamageBase, MinDamagePerLevel, and/or MaxDamagePerLevel.

Note: the game automatically changes these values to take into account the speed also. What this means is that if you went and changed all of the weapons in the game to the same values, they would have the same damage over time. However, daggers would have the lowest damage per attack because of their high speed.

For the armor stuff you want to change some parameters in Database/systems.gdb. Below are the current parms/values.

BalanceArmorClothBase 8.0
BalanceArmorLeatherBase 16.0
BalanceArmorMailBase 24.0
BalanceArmorPlateBase 32.0
BalanceCapeBase 8.0

BalanceArmorClothPerLevel 4.0
BalanceArmorLeatherPerLevel 6.0
BalanceArmorMailPerLevel 8.0
BalanceArmorPlatePerLevel 10.0
BalanceCapePerLevel 4.0

BalanceArmorPiecePercentChest 22.2
BalanceArmorPiecePercentBack 16.7
BalanceArmorPiecePercentLegs 16.7
BalanceArmorPiecePercentHead 16.7
BalanceArmorPiecePercentFeet 11.1
BalanceArmorPiecePercentHands 11.1
BalanceArmorPiecePercentShoulders 11.1
BalanceArmorPiecePercentWaist 5.6
BalanceArmorPiecePercentWrists 5.6

GeorgiaBoy
05-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks! Very helpful...

However, it appears to me these parameters cover classes of items, rather than individual items (like uniques, artifacts). Is that true? If so, I would like to mod individual items as well...

GB

Delve
05-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Add a bonus stat to the item. The base values of an item are randomly generated based on (presumably) level, difficulty, the balance values that Shadow pointed to, and I don't know what all else.

So you can't quite directly set the armor value of your 'High Mucky-Muck Robe of Magic', but you can give it a direct 20 point armor bonus, or even better a 20% armor bonus. The bonus would be applied to whatever is calculated for the base value.

You can see this happen pretty often when you start getting duplicate named objects. The enchantments are the same, but the base value will be slightly different (or very different if it has a high percentage bonus, which is what makes percent bonus so much more powerful).

GeorgiaBoy
05-03-2008, 05:21 PM
That should work. Thanks, Delve. I looked at animations briefly. Having NO animation background whatsoever, I would think, say, "the goblin" would have 32 frames (8 for direction, 8 at rest, 8 arms up, 8 arms down). So, if I get 32 pictures this way in .tga format, would that be enough for 3D max? I know zero about shaders, shadow, etc...Just full o' questions (wifey says I am full o' somethin' else sometimes, but this is a family forum...).

GB

Shadow
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
All of the animations in the game are actually real 3D animations not just sprites. So if someone wanted to create a brand new monster they would have to model, animate, and skin it in Max and use the exporters that are in the SDK.

GeorgiaBoy
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Shadow!

GeorgiaBoy
05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Does anybody know of an "animation pack" of monsters available somewhere that I could purchase based on the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual? I looked at the price of Max, and it is a bit pricey...

GB

Delve
05-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Didn't Shadow mention something about creating Blender filters?

Blender is a free, open source 3D modeling package.

Shadow
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
No, we don't have any support for blender. However, if blender can export to the fbx format and you know someone with max, you might be able to use it. Some of our artists do this with Maya. They do all of there work in Maya, export the model stuff in the fbx format, and then load it in max just to export to our format.