PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty after Draaien

fiacaid
05-17-2008, 06:34 PM
I suppose technically this is not a bug, I just consider it a minor design flaw (as a software engineer myself):

I love the game and its a great escape between tasks, but sometimes a bit easy, even with everything avialable to make it more diifficult.

On each difficulty level, the difficulty of monsters incrases steadily as you head deeper into the wilderness. This works great. Game too easy? Head further in. Risk of dying in a hardcore game too great for you? Just back off while leveling up.

Then this progression suddenly stops at the Black Forest....frequently with many character levels until the next difficulty level. (for example, killed Draaien at level 41 recently as a Hardcore rogue).

So why not allow this same progression of more difficult zones to continue?

ShaggyMoose
05-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Or maybe stick a bottomless dungeon in the last zone...

Shadow
05-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I actually would like to do this. It is more a matter of figuring out how to do it in the code.

fiacaid
05-19-2008, 11:58 PM
I actually would like to do this. It is more a matter of figuring out how to do it in the code.

Heh, sounds a lot like my current project. I know exactly what the new code needs to do. It isn't even all that difficult. Now all I need to do is figure out how to integrate that into the existing code. That is turning out to be an exponentially growing nightmare!

Baskar
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
On this note, there a way to add mobs or quests through the gbd files? :)

Delve
05-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Mobs yes. Quests? I don't know.
Methinks we need a 'Add a creature' tutorial in the mod forum.

Baskar
05-21-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll probably poke around (yes I know to backup stuff, common sense), but I usually like to ask first. Heheh, time to do some tweakin. :)

Shadow
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Here's what a monster needs:

1) An entry in Database/Monsters/MonsterArchetypes.gdb to define the overall type of monster (like orc)
2) An entry in Database/Monsters/MonsterTypes.gdb to define the specific type (like green orc)
3) New mdl and all sorts of model files in the Model directory and subdirectories if you are adding a new model, skin, and animations
4) Add a MonsterSpawn line in Database/world.gdb so the game knows to spawn you monster

That's really about it. BTW, you can have as many monster types as you want for each archetype.

(name here)
05-22-2008, 08:37 PM
The final boss is plenty hard at 41st level for me as a warrior. i decided to beat him out of sheer subbornness, and killed him in about 20 suicide runs with the armor focus on.