PDA

View Full Version : Patch 1.010 available

Shadow
05-19-2008, 02:35 PM
The official 1.010 patch is now available for Depths of Peril over on our patch page (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Patches.html). As usual you can see the list of changes here (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Patches/Changes.html)(a bunch of small fixes and a few things to make moding easier).

Delve
05-19-2008, 03:29 PM
The update that you ever so subtley tucked in at the bottom is my favorite. Your description doesn't highlight the impact of the change very well though. If I'm understanding it right it means that most mods won't need to be fiddled with at each release, and no mods will have to duplicate every line in a data file just to change a single value. Best thing ever. To munge the party size limit now I should only need a file assets\Database\systems.gdb that contains
GameSystem
{
MaxAdventureGroupSize 6
}

And absolutely nothing else. In fact, from the other update description, it looks like I don't even have to call the file systems.gdb, and could instead call it party_size_mod.gdb?

Some other questions (I'm full of them :) ). If two loose files modify the same object, which file gets precedence? And has the precedence order of the assets/loose files changed?

Shadow
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes, this is one of the changes to make mods a little more stable and simpler. It is documented a bit better in the database.txt file in the SDK.

Here's how your example should be setup.

In GroupSizeMod.gdb:

GroupSizeGameSystem overrides GameSystem
{
MaxAdventureGroupSize 6
}

GroupSizeMod and GroupSizeGameSystem can be named whatever you want of course.

The normal precedence order of the assets has NOT changed, so if you are using the overrides stuff you don't want to use the same gdb filename or the system won't find the original stuff correctly.

If more than one file overrides the same database entry it should work perfectly fine as long as they don't touch the same exact parameters. If they do change the same parms, then I believe the override that is found first
will be the one that is actually used (non-system gdbs are sorted alphabetically).

Delve
05-19-2008, 05:18 PM
So what would occur in the following situation:

MoMoneyGameSystem overrides GameSystem
{
MoneyChance 90
}

GroupSizeGameSystem overrides GameSystem
{
MaxAdventureGroupSize 6
}

Do both mods get applied like I expect? Is there a requirement that the construct's name (for lack of better terminology) be unique?

>EDIT: Nevermind, I should learn to read documentation first. Looks like you already pretty much answered the first question with a 'Yes' in the SDK documentation. As to the second, based on what I see, I suspect that they need to be unique, or one will overwrite the other. Is that correct?

Shadow
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Do both mods get applied like I expect? Is there a requirement that the construct's name (for lack of better terminology) be unique?

Yes, both will work fine and yes each database entry needs a unique name.

(name here)
05-22-2008, 08:44 PM
"hopefully fixed a problem where a parent quest gets deleted when it has child quests"

um, i can't make heads or tails of that line.

ncc386
05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm new to this whole deal. What exactly does the max group size define? Is it the number of NPC guildies you can take with you as you explore and whatnot?

Delve
05-22-2008, 11:32 PM
"hopefully fixed a problem where a parent quest gets deleted when it has child quests"

um, i can't make heads or tails of that line.

I suspect this is a fix for this bug. (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526)

I'm new to this whole deal. What exactly does the max group size define? Is it the number of NPC guildies you can take with you as you explore and whatnot?

Exactly. The usual value is 1. If you want a knock down brawl out in the wilderness set it to 6. Gets pretty boring though, the game isn't balanced for that and you can easily handle areas almost twice your level. Enemy covenants don't take advantage of the increased limit though.

ncc386
05-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Really? If that could just be modified so that the guilds would take out between 1 and the new max limit, that would be great. Now there is an inherent drawback to having 6 people with you that would be self-balancing gameplay: If your house is attacked, the other team gets the drop on you.