PDA

View Full Version : Considering the game- has it become more balanced?

shadow9d9
05-20-2008, 09:11 AM
A complaint with many reviews was the balance in the game.. quests being too hard, bosses being hard, poor diplomacy.. has any of this been address in patches? Still considering the game. Thanks!

Baskar
05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, I got this from Reflexive Arcade. Glad I spent my money for this game (especially seeing as how I hate paying for games online) and I use version 1.009. (Note, I keep hoping to see the next patch on reflexive soon -hint hint-)

While there are some things that are hard, what it comes down to is strategy...and if that doesn't work, tweak things around in the .gdb files, lol. As for me, I made things a lil bit harder and made it so that chests drop magical items a bit more often. Then made the low experience quests give a tiny bit more exp.

As for Diplomacy, I have but one thing to say - I like to make sure that the other covenants are at least 30 levs higher than myself and are at Aggressive. Makes things more interesting if you ask me.

serioustiger
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't find the game to be unbalanced in the sense of quest and boss difficulty, and I don't consider myself a spectacularly good player.

I too had read a review noting difficulty spikes. Sure, some bosses are hard (some very hard) and it can be discouraging at times, especially from about level 6 until the late teens or low 20's - on some maps (especially the ones with self-spawning mobs which your party member seems reluctant to attack), it's easy to get swamped. But all can be overcome, and in the teens you start to figure out what's going on, how to use your skills to greatest effect (and indeed which ones are worth having), and how to defeat bosses. Surely bosses are supposed to be hard, and at least here there's no sense of being blocked from continuing the game (partly because there's no discernible plot track, which is both a good and bad thing depending on where you sit on the value of plot in ARPG games).

The XP rewards sometimes seem unbalanced - at level 20, maybe 10,000+ for a group boss quest a level or two higher, versus only a few hundred for a level or two lower. There's no science behind that comment, that's just how it feels. What that does mean, is that it's worth taking a few minutes longer to do the hard ones.

I haven't gone much above 20 on any character so I can't comment on the medium to high end, and I've focused far more on the questing than the RTS elements.

Probably the biggest single imbalance imho is the class balancing, most obviously between "mage" and "mage with healing and chain armour", but that's a different topic and may change at higher levels. Up to 25 at least, if you want an "I win" button, priest ftw. TBH though I'm having much more fun with my rogue, which is equally viable once I figured her out.

Overall, for around half the cost of a "regular" PC game, tons of fun to be had here.

Delve
05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
The priest's ability to heal is an absolute godsend (I couldn't help it, sorry). It makes up for the inefficiency of thier damage spells, which don't seem to scale horribly well. I can't compare to mages much, as I've only gotten a mage to level 6 or so. At 40-something though my priest's holy bolt spell (I forget the name) doesn't seem horribly effective. Especially compared to keeping my warrior partner healed up and running like mad (they don't like it when I heal for some reason!). I deliberately seek warrior recruits without plate; I'd rather see a better damage skill in place because I'll take care of making sure he lives, thankyouverymuch. ;)

Class balance over all seems pretty tight, although I must say that I find warriors sort of boring to play. Not hard, just not horribly exciting. :) Rogues on the other hand seem the most interesting to play over all, they're like fighter jets.

serioustiger
05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Rogues on the other hand seem the most interesting to play over all, they're like fighter jets.

What, you mean they're deliberately designed to be unstable so that without human intervention they fall out of the sky?

Baskar
05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
LoL. I'm stuck on the Warrior. Closest thing to having a Minotaur race so it'll do. I like brute force, plain and simple. *see's a door in my way and smashes it to smithereans* Magic (or archery) has never been an interest of mine. I blame that on 26 years of gaming. Too set in my ways I guess. The rogue may be an interest of mine, but there's no Drow or night elves present and I have no interest in playing a female character. I know, I'm just a bit picky...

Shadow
05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll let everyone else that's not biased say whether or not we have made any effective changes to the balance of the game since we released the game, however we have made a lot of balance changes. There are a number of them in the patch change list (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Patches/Changes.html) if you want to dig through them all. Some things I remember off the top of my head though are: made rogues do more damage, made monsters easier at the beginning of the game, made several changes to make diplomacy AI smarter, increase the reward for many quests, changes to individual unique monsters, and probably a ton of other things I don't remember.

Oh, also to answer Baskar, I gave Reflexive the 1.010 patch stuff yesterday, so hopefully they will update sometime soon.

Baskar
05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Cool beans. Thx. :) Well worth the long download time. (Yes, I'm on dial up)

shadow9d9
05-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Aye, I assumed some of the initial complaints were fixed in the patches.. glad the game has been supported. I will indeed buy the game shortly. I was disappointed in Eschalon, but love Spiderwebgames' games. I try to support indie games(rpgs and adventure games) if they look promising enough(some suck but many are great).

Just out of curiosity, were sales numbers ever released? Has the game sold well?

ncc386
05-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, be sure to buy it. This is one of the best games I have ever played. There have been a lot of games that tried to be like Diablo and felt like cheap imitators. Depths of Peril feels more like it built on Diablo's strengths and then further innovated by merging it with a few other tried-and-true aspects from other popular, culty games.

I have no complaints against Depths of Peril. There are some aspects I would like to see changed, but nothing about the game was put together "incorrectly". It's just a matter of personal preference... like the way Covenant wars and raids are handled, for instance. I don't think you should be able to raid another covenant so easily nor do I think you should be able to damage their life crystal if you just declared war.

In fact, hell, I'll explain what I'd like to see right now. hehe Why not?!

I don't think that a raid should be an available option until their life stone is down to 50% and I think that a life stone should be immune to physical attack until it is down to 25% health. This would dynamically change the way raids are played out. You see, the opposing team would have to commit to a long-term war prior to being able to raid. They would have to kill a lot of their members over time to force the defenders to respawn so much as to drain the crystal down before a direct attack on it could be made. Raids are too accessible at the moment and too easy to abuse, in my opinion.

Just my two cents. This in no way has interfered with my enjoyment of this game. One of the best games I've ever bought! My favorite feature is the ability to respawn a new world at any time. Replayability and sandbox gameplay is my #1 drive when playing!

Delve
05-21-2008, 06:45 AM
What, you mean they're deliberately designed to be unstable so that without human intervention they fall out of the sky?

Something like that. They require constant direct supervision. Distractions can more easily become fatal than with other classes.

serioustiger
05-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Great analogy - it's why I too love the rogue so much. I'm hardly a twitch gamer (unlike my son I don't have the reactions of a fly) but I like to feel involved to some extent, and managing a few buttons at once (more than say 1-3) is just about within my ability.

Shadow
05-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, were sales numbers ever released? Has the game sold well?

We haven't released any numbers, although I have been tempted to. Although now I'm not sure it would be very wise to release anything specific (too many partners to annoy).

In general terms, for an indie game, I would say we have sold pretty well. However, we really need to sell more than we have to stay in business in the long term.

ncc386
05-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Actually, I take it back... I would make raids only possible once the lifestone reaches 25% at which time it would also become vulnerable to attack. I was tired last night. I don't know where I got 50% from. Anyway, it would make it to where a war would have to go on for a while and remain pretty active before a raid would become feasible. Not everyone likes to raid or be raided so that would give those players plenty of time to work out a peace treaty. :)

Delve
05-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Unless you've got a Fortify priest in the ranks, in which case you're losing like 2% or more of your life crystal every time the game reloads. :)

ncc386
05-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Unless you've got a Fortify priest in the ranks, in which case you're losing like 2% or more of your life crystal every time the game reloads. :)

I noticed my priest kept obliterating my lifestone but I wasn't sure how. Looks like she's buffing all the guild members and then they're sucking off the lifestone... over and over and over. Might have to boot her out!

Delve
05-21-2008, 04:32 PM
It has to do with the interaction between the lifestone health calculation (which is based on total covenant member HP, if I recall correctly), the way your lifestone's health is serialized, and the fact that you lose your buffs at reload. At least, that's my hypothesis. :)

But, in the end, the HP bonus is more than worth the lifestone damage in my opinion.

shadow9d9
05-21-2008, 08:44 PM
We haven't released any numbers, although I have been tempted to. Although now I'm not sure it would be very wise to release anything specific (too many partners to annoy).

In general terms, for an indie game, I would say we have sold pretty well. However, we really need to sell more than we have to stay in business in the long term.

Aye, I figured as much. Thanks for the response though.

Delwynndwn
06-05-2008, 02:29 AM
It has to do with the interaction between the lifestone health calculation (which is based on total covenant member HP, if I recall correctly), the way your lifestone's health is serialized, and the fact that you lose your buffs at reload. At least, that's my hypothesis. :)

But, in the end, the HP bonus is more than worth the lifestone damage in my opinion.

Actually, your lifestone isn't being damaged at all by the health buffs everyone in your covenant are receiving. What's happening is that the maximum lifestone health is increasing due to increased member health. However, the current health doesn't increase immediately like the maximum health, so it appears like your lifestone is getting damaged when it's really not.

Besides, it doesn't take too long for your lifestone to work its way up to its new maximum once all the vitality buffs are cast.

(name here)
06-05-2008, 08:24 AM
then the buffs fade and you have to repeat. percentage of lifestone health should subtract all timered bonuses before calculating.

Delve
06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I remember seeing a small but noticable drain on my lifestone when I recruited a Hardiness priest. The circumstances involved quitting and reloading, with the effect being that I'd lose some percentage of my lifestone each time I quit after the priest cast Hardiness. The effect grew proportionately with the power of the priest recruit's spell.

However, I can't seem to reproduce that now. Either it's been fixed, or I'm misremembering.

I will point out though that if you have a significant Hardiness buff it could take longer than the 5 minute effect of the spell to regenerate the bonus you get. In my warrior's world, my lifestone will go from nearly full to <75% anytime I load the game. I end up getting a 29235 point (58%) bonus on my lifestone health by the time my level 59 Hardiness recruit finishes casting her +140 VIT spell on everyone. That's pretty drastic.

(name here)
06-05-2008, 05:15 PM
i think your problem was actually this: the game ANNOUNCED you'd lost lifestone health because you now had 75% of the NEW lifestone health. i have a priest with hardiness, and that does happen. also, lifestone regen is a set percentage.

Delve
06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I know that. Read my post.

The percentage is what changes, not the current health value.