PDA

View Full Version : The Cave below Gremelkin (sp?) Forest and other questions...

GeorgiaBoy
05-25-2008, 06:07 PM
How would I change the map tiles to make it look like a cave instead of a field of crystals? Or make a custom map tile set for that matter?

Edit: I looked at the SDK...just get a .tga file. But how large to create one tile (dimensions in pixels)? How do you designate the area of a file (like rock) unwalkable? Through the editor?

Also, would it be easier to 'reskin' the monsters for more variety? I have seen many skins on the D2 modding site.

I went ahead and renamed some of the monsters--which files do I need to edit so it shows up throughout the game (NPC conversations, quests, et al).

As I said before, the game is like peeling an onion...it's great!

Thanks again for all of the assistance...

GB

Shadow
05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry, my response took so long. I've been really busy with Mac stuff.

How would I change the map tiles to make it look like a cave instead of a field of crystals? Or make a custom map tile set for that matter?

Edit: I looked at the SDK...just get a .tga file. But how large to create one tile (dimensions in pixels)? How do you designate the area of a file (like rock) unwalkable? Through the editor?

First, since the world is built randomly you won't always see a dungeon or cave below Grimalkin and when you do, it won't always be the same one. If you open world.gdb and find the Section1 entry, you will see that there are 3 dungeons and 2 caves that can show up anywhere in the first 1/4 of the game.

If you want to change a particular zone to look different you can either change its level data or make a new level in the editor. If you make a new level, you need to change the AreaFileName parm in the correct zone's database entry in world.gdb to point to your new level file.

Either way you need to change stuff in the editor. Type editor 1 at the console to get in the editor. Load whatever level you want to modify (you can "save as" if you don't want to overwrite the old version). Use the arrow keys on the left to move through all of the blocks or the blocks menu at the top. You can now place ground textures or models to make the zone look however you want.

You can make new ground textures if you want. All of our ground textures were 128x128. You can make yours whatever size you want as long as both width and height are powers of 2. No matter the size of the texture, they will still display the same size as the other tiles. The textures need to be uncompressed tga files.

As for rocks. Normally a rock would be a real model and thus have a mdl file that describes everything relevant for that model. As usual this is really a text file. You can find tons of examples of this but there is collision data that you can add to the mdl files that specifies collision stuff.

Also, would it be easier to 'reskin' the monsters for more variety? I have seen many skins on the D2 modding site.

You can reskin the monsters. Make a new skn file for that monster that points to your new texture. A skn file is just a text file that specifies which texture to use for each surface on that monster. Then either change the specific monster type to use your new skn file or create a new monster type and point to the new skn file. If you create a new monster type just make sure the database entry has a unique name.

To create a new texture for a monster you will need to get one of the old ones. So when in the game, bring down the console with the ~ key, and type in buildTgas. This will build all of the full sized textures in tga format. The old skn file will point to the texture that you want to modify. Modify it however you want, save it with a different name, and make your new skn file use this texture.

That's really all you have to do. The game will automatically start trying to spawn your new monster type when it tries to spawn monsters of the level of your monster type.

I went ahead and renamed some of the monsters--which files do I need to edit so it shows up throughout the game (NPC conversations, quests, et al).

Assuming you changed the name field in the monster type (or the name directly in the localization file) it should just work everywhere else.

Ok that was pretty long. Hopefully all of that made sense.

Delve
05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Made sense to me. Maybe GeorgiaBoy can whip up a 123 procedure document with some notes at the bottom while he fiddles with all the info you just dumped on us. :)

GeorgiaBoy
06-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Been very busy lately with RL. Would like to get into serious modding, as D2 forum assistance is very brief (ie--encouraged to look at other posts after asking a question, then an hour later ending back where you started.). However, it is a matter of an extended period of time (and assistance)...

GB