PDA

View Full Version : 11 Months of Books, The Best

Delilah Rehm
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
These are in order by which I read first. (****)

Master of Dragons by Margaret Weis – Though the title doesn’t make any sense to me, this third book of the series was very good. Two very bad dragons’ plans are reaching fruition, and a war begins. I love Draconius, the skin walker, and his quest to find the very bad dragons while protecting the twin boys with different fathers, both born with dragon’s blood in their veins.

Command Decision (Vatta 4) by Elizabeth Moon

Steal Away (YA) by Jennifer Armstrong – I picked this book up at the library because Jennifer Armstrong is one of the authors of the YA Fire-Us Trilogy, which I love completely. Steal Away is compelling, following the story of a young white girl orphaned in the North and sent to live with family in the South. She flounders in the strange culture and navigates a volatile friendship with a black slave girl. Together, they attempt to escape to the North.

Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon – The functional autistic experiences life differently from the general population, and in Speed of Dark, we can share that experience, seeing the world in a whole new way through Michael, dealing with friendships, work trouble, love, and a jealous rival.

Thin Air (Weather Warden 6) by Rachel Caine – One thing I love about the Weather Warden series is that every book is unique. In Thin Air, Joanne has amnesia! And to make it worse (and it’s always worse, luck and Joanne don’t get along too well), someone or something is parading around pretending to be Joanne! Fun, fun stuff.

Musashi Flex by Steve Perry – When you love an author, you tend to pick up books you wouldn’t have otherwise, and I’m not the action/fighting type reader. Yet, Musashi Flex was exciting and fully engaging. This mix has a very illegal fight club and is full of martial arts. Add in a player questioning his quest, a rich man paying to be the most powerful person in a physical sense by skating the rules to grab the title, a reporter who doesn’t know how to navigate these dangerous players, and a spy. All that’s missing is a pirate and the kitchen sink! Just kidding. There isn’t a pirate (but there probably is a kitchen sink, or some kind of sink), but this book offers a great deal while remaining seamless. Excellent work.

The Burning City by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle – This isn’t just another wagon train adventure (because I’m sure you’ve had your fill of those), nor is it merely another bit of California mythology. It has these things, but it is a fascinating delve into a bizarre culture, following Whandall Placehold as he explores his place in the world, through street gangs, vengeance, a disreputable wizard and a powerful magic from the gods. This elaborate adventure gripped my imagination, and I longed to be part of this world.

Sporting Chance (Serrano 2) by Elizabeth Moon

Winning Colors (Serrano 3) by Elizabeth Moon

Once a Hero (Serrano 4) by Elizabeth Moon

Victory Conditions (Vatta 5) by Elizabeth Moon

Peeps (YA) by Scott Westerfeld – Tiny, tiny parasites; gotta love them! Ha! But what if vampires were real, except they came from a disease, from a parasite? Peeps is that kind of world. Crazy, insane, cycle of life stuff. Great fun, if you’re not too squeamish about these kinds of things.

Rules of Ascension by David B Coe – Don’t let the words “Epic Fantasy” scary you off. RoA is much, much more. The characters are gripping, and the struggle is very real and personal. It’s a long book without being wordy. A magical race called the Qirsi attacked the Forelands, but were defeated and then assimilated into the population. Because of their magic, they are valued as ministers to the nobility. The lost war still burns the blood of many Qirsi. What will they do to find a place of their own? Mayhem, mayhem, mayhem.

Tithe (YA) by Holly Black – Starting out with the main teen character smoking in a bar isn’t really my thing, but I stuck it out and I’m glad I did. This girl’s life changes in a big way after she has to move back to her grandmothers, a place where she was friends with fairies as a little girl. Will they still be there? Were they even real? Things get craaaaazy! So much more than I can say.

So Yesterday (YA) by Scott Westerfeld – How do corporations find the next cool thing? Easy. They higher cool hunters. But someone is jamming up the works, and Hunter’s boss has been kidnapped! . It started with a prototype of the coolest sneakers ever made, and if at all possible, Hunter and Jen really want those shoes! They must unravel the mystery and save his boss (and maybe get the coolest shoes ever!).

The Husband by Dean Koons – I had to get this book after listening to Dean Koons’ podcast promos. I was intrigued. How could an ordinary guy, a landscaper, come up with two million dollars to ransom his kidnapped wife? This wasn’t even the most exciting part though. You’ll find out after half of the book. What happens next is insane! But I’m not going to tell you that part. One of the things I liked in this book was learning about how the nut job parents royally screwed up their kids (the parents of our hero), and how they walked the line where CPS wouldn’t be able to intervene even if they knew. Crazy fun.

The Last Days (Peeps 2, YA) by Scott Westerfeld