PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful game, very happy

Maledictus
06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi all,

Just bought the game (just before midnight here) and am having unreal amounts of fun with it. This might just be a sleepkiller, so thanks to the dev(s) for creating this. Indies rule! Just thought i'd share this...

I also have 2 questions:
I play the game in 1280x800 but it sorta seems that widescreen causes things to stretch, so widescreen is not really wide screen. Is that correct? No biggy, i'll just use the 4x3 resolutions, but i thought i'd ask. Also, i noticed a spelling error. Does that count as a bug, and is development interested in hearing this? Just in case that's a yes: it was in the diplomacy screen, where one of the covenants demanded x crystals from me; the word 'collection' had only one l there. Again, no big deal, but being a dev and manual writer myself these things sorta stick out...

Again, thanks for this great game.

Tom

Shadow
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
When using widescreen the world should draw fine, but the UI will be stretched.

And yes, we are interested in hearing about typos. They aren't high priority or anything, but we do fix all of them that we find out about.

Delwynndwn
06-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Generally, only 2D elements should get stretched if there aren't any 16:9 or 16:10 elements created as well as 4:3.

However, I've noticed that some stretches can occur with 3D if the field of view (FOV) isn't calculated correctly, whether by the game engine itself or when manually set. What happens when you have an FOV that doesn't match your resolution and aspect ratio is that stretching occurs on the left and right edges of the screen. If creates a sort of "fish-eye" effect, though it might not be very noticeable.

I found a very good formula for calculating the correct FOV: http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8444
I've used with with Quake 3, which allows manually set FOV, and it looks perfect. No 3D stretches at the far right and left edges, no "fish-eye", at all. :)

However, in the context of DoP, I haven't noticed anything look off at all with the 3D elements. However, players are kinda locked into a single camera angle, so I wouldn't even be able to tell anyway.

Maledictus
06-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok, thanks for the comments. The UI stretches, yes, and so do the fonts then. It's something i don't think is all that pretty so i'm playing in a 4x3 format. I would love to see the UI be widescreen aware some day, but that's about the only complaint i can think of. Back to the game...