PDA

View Full Version : Small industry

Shadow
06-14-2008, 03:03 PM
It always amuses me how small the industry is.

Everyone probably knows of the 6 degrees of separation idea. If you don't, the short version is that for the most part there are only 5 contacts between you and every other person on earth. For a better explanation just go to this wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation).

However, the games industry is pretty small, so I would guess within our industry the average number is probably a good bit less than 6. This is going to be true of any relatively small group of people. The games industry isn't special in this manner or anything.

Anyways, to my actual point. Last night, a friend of mine hosted a board game and werewolf get together (which was quite fun). There were around 20 people there and at least 1/4 or so were friends or relatives outside of the industry. Yet there were people there that worked for Soldak (of course), Mumbo Jumbo, Nerve, 3D Realms, Blue Fang, and EA (contractor).

That's just the people I know, there might have been more. There also would have been 1 more company represented, if Escalation didn't have some deadline yesterday.

Well just some ramblings on a Saturday afternoon after way too little sleep.