PDA

View Full Version : Unable to start game (demo)

invisible
06-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I just heard about this game and decided to try the demo. However I am unable to start the game.

What happens is that it seem to start, switches resolution, but then shows a part of my desktop instead of the actual game. If I alt-tab out to windows again and then alt-tab back to the game I can sometimes (not always) see the main screen of the game, but nothing happens when I press any button.

My system is Vista 64 SP1 Swedish. I run the game as non-administrator (although it seemed to work the same way when I tried it as administrator).

Shadow
06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having this type of problem, so I would suggest that you upgrade to the latest drivers for your graphics card.

You could also play the game in a window if you wanted to. Edit C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\User\user.cfg or create the file if it is not there. Then change the r_fullscreen line to (or add) to:
r_fullscreen 0

invisible
06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Ah, that was not the sort of answer I wanted to hear. ;-)

Anyway, I do have the latest drivers already (my graphics card is Geforce 8800 GTS and the drivers are 175.16, which is the latest).

I also tried to play in window mode. This had the same effect, i.e. I now get a window frame to move around with the inside of the window completely transparent, so I see the window behind the DoP window. But it seems like there is an effect of clicking inside the window, because I have been able to click somewhere inside and it opened the web browser and somewhere else the program quit.

invisible
06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, it seems like it is solved by disabling Aero and using Vista Basic instead.

Looked really strange though.

Shadow
06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
That's strange. We have lots of Vista users and I haven't heard about Aero causing any problems (well specifically with DoP at least). It is nice to know though that if Vista users in the future have this particular problem that turning off Aero might help.

I'm glad you got it working. Sorry I wasn't very helpful though.

invisible
06-17-2008, 08:02 PM
No problem. A weird problem to have.

I'll take it as a hint and won't bother to turn Aero on again. :)