PDA

View Full Version : How to Translate

DetlevH
06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi,

how can i translate the game into german language?

Best Regards,

Detlev

Shadow
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
The easiest way is to grab the Spanish mod (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Mods/Spanish-Mod.html) and use that as a template. That will show you what needs to be translated and mostly how.

You will need to reference the original English versions of all of the files in there for translating purposes of course. When looking at the English versions make sure you are using the ones from assets003.zip, if they are in there.

DetlevH
06-19-2008, 07:47 AM
it will take several months......:eek:

Any volunteers for help here?

Detlev

Shadow
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, there is a lot of text. :)

As a first step you could just translate all of the trn files. It's way less stuff to translate and you would have most of the actual game translated. You could even ignore the dialog trn files at first.

After that the only thing left is the story and blurbs which is a ton of text, but not as critical.

DetlevH
07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, i've translated global.trn (almost 50% of the file).

It's fun, you learn the game when you translate it. Great!

Short question: What if you change the original text? How can i update my translated file?

Second question: What is xp debt?

When can i change the language from inside the game?

Regards,

Detlev

Shadow
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
If I change the English text you would have to notice and update the corresponding German text. If I add new entries, you will have to add them to your version of the files also and translate them.

XP debt happens when you die. What it basically means is that while you have the XP debt, you are getting experience at a slower rate than usual.

There is a user var (from the console) that kind of changes the language, but it's not supported really well in DoP. The easiest way is to make all of the translated files just like a normal mod so that they essentially replace the official versions of the translation files.

DetlevH
07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
If I change the English text you would have to notice and update the corresponding German text. If I add new entries, you will have to add them to your version of the files also and translate them.

XP debt happens when you die. What it basically means is that while you have the XP debt, you are getting experience at a slower rate than usual.

There is a user var (from the console) that kind of changes the language, but it's not supported really well in DoP. The easiest way is to make all of the translated files just like a normal mod so that they essentially replace the official versions of the translation files.

Are you kidding :confused:

I must check the old and the new file line by line?

Can't believe that:eek:

Shadow
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't change the translations very often and when I do it is usually to fix typos. When I do actually add new translations, I always add them to the very bottom of the file so the changes are easy to see.

So I don't it think it will really be a problem. I'm sure there are a bunch of diff programs you could get just in case to compare the old vs. new file.

DetlevH
08-01-2008, 04:08 AM
ok, fine.

Can live with that.

Thank you!

DetlevH
08-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi,

i got a problem with the plural of some nouns.

Example:

Copper piece -> Kupferstück
Copper pieces -> Kupferstücke, not Kupferstückes

You see, appending a "s" in order to show the plural is wrong with german text. In most cases, we append an "e" but this is not always the right way.

What can we do, i propose to add also the plural form of the item names to the .trn file.

What do you think?

DetlevH
08-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Another issue:

the adjectives

crude dagger -> unfertiger Dolch
crude sword -> unfertiges Schwert

Do you see the difference?

I am sorry, but german has not the same simple structure like english.

What can we do here? Any idea? :confused:

I used this one:

unfertig, Dolch
unfertig, Schwert

But that looks quite terrible :(

Shadow
08-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Well you can at least turn off the appending an s for plurals by changing AddPluralEnding to 0 in Loc/English/layout.loc

I'll have to think about and see if there is a simple method to fix the other 2 issues. It can be done (especially the crude part) by adding more specific translations like CrudeDagger and CrudeSword, but that's just going to really annoy my 2 publishers.

How does the r and s changes to unfertige work? Is this something that happens to lots of adjectives in German?

DetlevH
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, it depends on the gender of the noun.

I've used the colon, as you see in my post.

Do we have always more than 1 items in every quest to, let's sax find or collect? If yes, i can always use the plural for the german name of the quest items.

The same happens with the NPCs class. We have male and female NPCs. The class name depends on their sex. I use paranthesis around the NPCs class name in order to fix it. In english, it's easy.
Just write: <name of the NPC> the <NPCs class>,

in german <name of the NPC> (<NPCs class>)

You can drive around the problems but i want to prevent my german fellows from die laughing, shouting: What a funny translation!

I like the game, it's my wish that also german guys love to play it, let's check what we can do.

Shadow
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
It doesn't look like I can do anything about the Crude stuff without breaking save games.

I believe it is possible to get a quest to kill 1 thing, but it's probably pretty rare (except for kill a unique monster of course).

DetlevH
08-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, if we have 99% of all quests with more than one items to collect, monsters to kill, .... then i'll use the plural of these nouns and set AddPluralEnding to 0.

I think, if the quest is "Kill one monster", the quest will not tell this but the name of the monster, right?

Think, i'll use the colon for the crude issue, would be great if you could consider this in your next game.

Shadow
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, almost always when it is kill 1 of something that means it is a unique monster and it will say Kill UniqueGuy.

Oh, and yeah I have fixed a lot of things for the next game that I can't in Depths of Peril. The localization stuff has already had a bunch of changes.

Silent_Tales
08-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Yeah, almost always when it is kill 1 of something that means it is a unique monster and it will say Kill UniqueGuy.

Oh, and yeah I have fixed a lot of things for the next game that I can't in Depths of Peril. The localization stuff has already had a bunch of changes.

Oh, Can you give us a sneak peek at your upcoming game :D:D:D

DetlevH
08-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Shadow,

What is the longest possible name of an item?

Here is an example

FortifiedChainGreaves "verstärkte Kettenschienbeinschützer"

The german name is 35 characters long!

Your opinion?

Shadow
08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
There isn't any specific size limit. The only concern would be does it still fit in the UI.

DetlevH
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Shadow,

where can i find the text with the yellow border around it?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/DetlevH/ss0006.jpg

I've translated the whole quest.trn file and could not find it.

It's a monster group quest.

Shadow
08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Well the monster names are in global.trn, but you may or may not want to translate those. The others look like they are not going through the translation system correctly. I'll fix these in the next patch.

Good catch btw. The game has been translated to 3 languages so far and no one has caught that bug.

DetlevH
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
No, i don't mean the monster names, i mean the text "Kill" and "completed"

There seems to be other text to translate hidden in some database files.

E.G. "Left click to change" in the Key Shortcut definition screen. I've found it in the "UI" folder.

Please collect all text which is ougth to be translated in only a few files in one folder. It's frustrating to play the game, found a already untranslated text bit (e.g. the delivery type of the delivery which has been poisoned; "food" or so), search for the text, translate it and play again etc. ,etc.

Can you consider this in an update or patch?

Other issue: sometimes you add the plural "s" or the counting "th" by your own, so i have no chance to translate it correctly.

Shadow
08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought. Currently the kill and completed, in this one case, are not going through the localization system (it will in the next patch though).

All of the text is supposed to be in those few trn files or in the stories directory. Anything else is something I missed and will gladly fix in patches. So any of these you find, just point them out and I will fix them.

Assuming you turned off the plural stuff, where are you still getting an s appended?

As for the th, you can turn that off also in the layout.loc file, just change AddRankEndings to 0.

DetlevH
08-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Check this out (Popup windows)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/DetlevH/ss0014.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/DetlevH/ss0015.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/DetlevH/ss0016.jpg

Here the "open" command in the popup window for the map screen

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/DetlevH/ss0018.jpg

fab
08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone

I've been fooling around with a French translation since last week.

Oh the nostalgy trip! This is so cool, I'm back on my Amiga in the 90's hacking into the data files of the Bard's Tales trying to fit french words in the same space occupied by the english text; no more characters allowed :D This is fun, I Haven't been to the items yet so I don"t know how I will handle gender (similar problems than German I guess).

One thing that made it difficult is that sometimes a word is used in different contexts, for example the word "Trade" is used as a confirmation text on a button when closing an item transaction with a covenant; but it also appears as an option in the menu of interaction wiht merchant NPC's. Do you think there's a chance to separate those strings? Currently I have to use either a very literal translation like "Transaction" which is awful, but fits both, or something like "Offer" (in english) which coulmd mean here's my offer, and 'let's see whats on offer', do you see what I mean? i.e. "trade" is both "a trade" and "to trade" but it doesn't work in French :(

Can you add strings for the plural of numbers? Such as _st, _nd, _rd, _th, ?

I think these would work let's see: "1er", "2ème", "3ème", "4ème", etc. (well French is simpler here who would have thought ;) !)

I liked the fact that some sentences used separate variables for the number and the "ending", because I could skip the ending in French, for example "5th level warrior", doesnt work well as a literal translation, due to word order, the equivalent (in English) of "Warrior of lvl 5" sounds better.

As a backwards compatible solution, I thought maybe you can add some control with special codes? Similar to the ^c124 color codes. So for example
"Warrior level ##1##^n+" could mean to add the ending, but
"Warrior level ##1##^n-" could mean explicitly not use the ending (because some vraibales in those strings currently have the ending sometimes but sometimes not)

I also added a little colour in some places for readability, do you have a list of color codes? (The numbers dont seem to be RGB)

fab
08-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh sorry I almost forgot.

Regarding the word "covenant".

I've looked up the word in several dictionaries but it seems to always refer to a kind of treaty, but not to a group of people; or a place. Intuitively, I understand it in english, but I have difficult to make my mind on a translation in french.

The game seems to use the word as a "guild" or "faction", is that how I should translate it, or is it something closer to an "alliance"? (this one covers both the "treaty" and "group of people" terms).

DetlevH
08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Oh sorry I almost forgot.

I've looked up the word in several dictionaries but it seems to always refer to a kind of treaty, but not to a group of people; or a place. Intuitively, I understand it in english, but I have difficult to make my mind on a translation in french.

The game seems to use the word as a "guild" or "faction", is that how I should translate it, or is it something closer to an "alliance"? (this one covers both the "treaty" and "group of people" terms).

I use the german word "Bündnis".

It's great to hear, that someone else is translating the game into another language.

If you want to profit from my expierences, here is the way i took

1. Translate global.trn
2. Play the game often and long in order to check the correctness of the translation
3. Translate items.trn, use the World of Warcraft (TM) item databases on the Internet for the correct names, there are some for german, maybe there are also some for french
4. Translate quests.trn, npcchat.trn and convenantdialog.trn (the last is less important)
5. Check the event window for the correct translation of quests.trn

The monster descriptions are not in this folder. I hope, Shadow will put them also there someday, so i will wait until this before i translate it.

Have fun!

DetlevH
08-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Shadow,

in quests.trn

the text

QuestAnnounceUniqueMonsterSpotted "##1## has been spotted in ##2##"

is in the event window

"<monster name>, a <race> has been spotted in <location>

the red text is added by the game. Please change that.

in quests.trn:

QuestAnnounceCrystalLoss and QuestAnnounceCrystalGain add a "s" to crystal, even with AddPluralEnding set to 0

the same is true for QuestProgressMonsterGroupFull and QuestProgressMonsterGroupPartial

fab
08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi DetlevH, thanks for the tips!

Yeah I started with global.trn as well. Actually I swapped step 1 and 2 because at first I had no idea where some text was used so I just translate along as I play. Eventually I'll have to do 1-2 like you. So basically I translate the most common text I see as I play first, then will have to fill in the rest.

Thanks for the WoW tip. I was looking into Diablo french community sites to see how they translated some items. There is also Guild Wars (I was curious to see how they translated "reward chest' for example).

I wouldnt use any names of uniques or sets from those games though.

Items will be hard. I already pulled my hair after 5 min into the file trying to find unique translations for "hand axe", "hatchet", "axe" and .. "one handed axe". AAaAAAARGH

I also checked Wikipedia for help but often there is no French version of the page, though the German version is more frequent.

Yeah covenant dialog sounds like fun, I think we need to keep a different personality for each covenant (they each have their own version for all the replies).

5. Check the event window for the correct translation of quests.trn

You mean the quest screen? Ok.

The monster descriptions are not in this folder. I hope, Shadow will put them also there someday, so i will wait until this before i translate it.

You sure? There is also a bunch of files in the /Stories folder you need to unzip it as well, all the .txt files. Then there is a subfolder also for "Heroes", "Monsters", "Races", "Villains".

Have fun!

Thanks; you too. I do, but sigh, I wish I hadnt known about this until I played a good while. I just cant help myself to switch to deskop and change some text every minute or so >_<

But.. it's really nice to read in one's native language. I've become so used to english I think in english very often. But there's no denying that when I read the text in my native language the words just have that extra flavor..

How did you manage the item translations in German? Does German use a similar word order ? This look like its gonna be a real problem in French. As you pointed out there is the problem of gender.

I had some ideas for Steven for allowing gender "inflections" in the files with some extra codes, but I'll wait until I have a good grip of the issues and specific examples. Global.trn isn't too much of a problem.

fab
08-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi Steven

Could you add the covenant name into the strings (##n##) :

CovenantsLifestoneInDanger
CovenantsLifestoneIsThreatened

There is no xxx 's yyy possessive construction in French, so short of that, I have to use a unusual phrasing equivalent to:

COVENANT NAME voit leur pierre vitale menacée

(i.e. I'm phrasing "COVENTANT NAME sees their life stone threatened" which sounds strange, but grammatically correct, in French)

Ideally it should be :

La pierre vitale de COVENANT NAME est menaçée!

La pierre vitale de COVENANT NAME est en danger!

Thanks

DetlevH
08-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Hi fab,

the word order for items is the same in german as in english (mostly).

I asked Shadow to put all text to translate in only a few files in one folder. He promised to do so. That's wyh i don't translate text in database files.

Are there no french WoW fan sites with item databases?

I wish i could speak french, so i had the chance to check your translations....

Maybe you can check mine?

Are you going to translate the tomes also? It's tons of text....

Shadow
08-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I also added a little colour in some places for readability, do you have a list of color codes? (The numbers dont seem to be RGB)

I just posted all of the colors in this thread (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944).

I don't know how it's going to translate into French, but I've always thought of our covenants as something between a family and a guild. They aren't necessarily related so they are like a guild, but they are very loyal and will defend each other with their lives if necessary like a family.

All of the monster descriptions are in the Stories\Monsters directory which unfortunately I can't really move any more.

I asked Shadow to put all text to translate in only a few files in one folder. He promised to do so. That's wyh i don't translate text in database files.

What I said (or at least I meant to say) is that I will move all of the untranslated stuff from the database, menu files, and code and put those into the translation files so you don't need to touch any of that stuff. I can't move all of the stuff from the stories directory though.

The only things you need to worry about translating are the 4 translation files and all of the text files in the stories directory (and that's only if you want a full translation). The stories directory is easy (concept wise). Every file needs to be translated and are pretty much pure text (no menu commands, database entries, etc.)

DetlevH
08-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Shadow,

good to here from you!

If you leave the monster descriptions and the tomes in these folders, that's ok for me.

I worry about updates. If you are going to extend only text to the exisiting trn -files and inform us, when you added new files, that's ok, i think.

Have you read all the things i wrote down for you in this thread? What do you think about it?

What I said (or at least I meant to say) is that I will move all of the untranslated stuff from the database, menu files, and code and put those into the translation files so you don't need to touch any of that stuff. I can't move all of the stuff from the stories directory though.

That's what i meant to say, sorry if it was not clear.

I hope, i can finish the translation in september.

Shadow
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes, I've read everything. I'll see what I can do about all of them. Off hand, most of them should be pretty easy to fix.

I don't think I have added any new files (translation wise) since we shipped and I add new lines to the bottom of the trn files. That will probably continue, so updates shouldn't upset you guys too much.

fab
08-16-2008, 06:14 AM
I don't know how it's going to translate into French, but I've always thought of our covenants as something between a family and a guild. They aren't necessarily related so they are like a guild, but they are very loyal and will defend each other with their lives if necessary like a family.

Thanks! I guess something close to a group or band then (i.e. "Band of brothers"). I may have to stick to "Alliance" for the general covenant term for lack of better terms, but this gave me better ideas for translating the enemy covenant names.

I wish i could speak french, so i had the chance to check your translations....

Maybe you can check mine?

Well I did a bit of German way back to play a adventure game on Amiga which was called "Erben der Erde". Unfortunately I forgot most of it now!

It's a good idea to check translations though. But I guess we should check with players. Maybe contact a few sites; tell them about the game and a Unofficial translation. You could get some feedback that way. Or create a topic here for the german translation and redirect german players to it for feedback, corrections.

I've optimized the process a bit now and I enjoy playing more as well : I just PLAY but I take screenshots whenever I come accross something new that I'd like to translate. After half an hour of gaming then I translate these things in one sweep by looking at the screenshots.

On MAC you have to press Cmd + Shift + 3 to make a screenie.

Logorouge
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi Fab,

If you need any help for checking your French translation or searching for a word in particular, I'm here to help!:)

By the way, to translate 'Covenant', would 'communauté' work?

fab
08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Shadow, is there a string for the replacement variable in QuestAnnouncePoisonedSupply and the next 2 lines ? (should be "food" or "water" or something else?). I don't know how to translate those. I might have to use "d'eau" and "de nouriture" instead of just a noun "water/food", so if those are not present yet and you can add them; can you make them unique rather than re-use a possibly existing one somewhere?

Logorouge Great! Glad to know someone else will be able to enjoy (hopefully) a native translation. It's not complete yet; I'll try to upload an archive so you can test it out. Will keep you updated.

"Communauté" is an option, but the problem is the covenants are quite small (hence Shadow said something like a family), so it's a bit strange. "Alliance" isn't great either, but I've settled on it for now, as we also need to take in account the length of the text. The game adapts in most places but sometimes it makes the popup boxes too big, or the text is too wide for buttons ,etc. Yet another option was "faction" which is a bit like a "group" I can't say if that's better than alliance.. eventually I settle on one or another depending on how it sounds. But in french we don't hear this word much? (well except for Guild Wars ;-) )

fab
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Ack! Game text is corrupted in some strings in-game. I did "diffs", searching for special characters etc, I can't see anything special. Is there a debug mode somewhere in the console that tells if there is a problem string ?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got around it by moving a string from the graphic option menu down into the file, restarted the game, check if the string was corrupted or not, rinse repeat until I could locate the problem part (a double " at the end of a string).

fab
08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I've created a new topic to post corrections for the French translation:
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962

fab
08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I can't find those strings for translation (in bold), for a group monster quest :

Kill Exilica (Bark scorpion) (completed)

Are they somewhere outisde of global.trn / quests.trn ?

Shadow
08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Shadow, is there a string for the replacement variable in QuestAnnouncePoisonedSupply and the next 2 lines ? (should be "food" or "water" or something else?). I don't know how to translate those. I might have to use "d'eau" and "de nouriture" instead of just a noun "water/food", so if those are not present yet and you can add them; can you make them unique rather than re-use a possibly existing one somewhere?

Yeah, it's not translated correctly right now. I'll look at fixing this for the next patch.

I can't find those strings for translation (in bold), for a group monster quest :

Kill Exilica (Bark scorpion) (completed)

Are they somewhere outisde of global.trn / quests.trn ?

DetlevH also ran into this issue. It should be fixed in the next patch.

fab
08-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Great, thanks!

DetlevH
08-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Can't find the word poison in the trn files (see green frame) of skill ConcentrationPoison.

Shadow, can you help?

Shadow
08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Poison is in global.trn a few times actually. It is probably only using the first entry though.

DetlevH
08-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Poison is in global.trn a few times actually. It is probably only using the first entry though.

I translated all poison in global.trn but the english word is still in the skill description.

In the spanish mod the word poison is also not translated at this place.

DetlevH
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
i found the text in equipment.mnu.

Shadow, please move it to global.trn.

Shadow
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok, I'll look at the poison and the weapon switch issues.

DetlevH
08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
See green frame.

It appears when the cursor is moved at the cross for closing the window.

DetlevH
09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
The variable WorldMapConnectionFromXToY (global.trn) is used in the map, but not in the minimap, so in the minimap i still see the english phrase.

Shadow, please mind all my remarks and fix it in the next patch.:)

DetlevH
09-02-2008, 12:01 PM
See green frame.

It appears when the cursor is moved at the cross for closing the window.

Found the locations, it's hard coded in all dialogue mnu files. So it can't be translated.:(

DetlevH
09-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Ok, I'll look at the poison and the weapon switch issues.

The same is true for the physical damage (please see yellow frame in attached picture) in the stealth skill.

BTW: Also in the exported html file of the character properties, some words are still english.

Shadow, do you have time to change that, because you are working in the very promising new game, Kivi?:confused:

Shadow
09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I'll look at both of them.

I've been working on Kivi for much of the year and we have still released a bunch of patches for Depths of Peril, so don't worry too much about that.

DetlevH
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
The word damage (see yellow frame) is also english with the german and spanish mod.

Shadow, please bring this to global.trn.

DetlevH
10-05-2008, 05:58 AM
This english text ist still there

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5611&postcount=48

Shadow
10-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Apparently I missed one. I just fixed it, so it will be fixed in 1.014.

DetlevH
10-12-2008, 06:55 AM
There is still some text missing in global.trn (see red frames)

1. Crystal
2. Description of the military alliances

Please add it in 1.014.

DetlevH
02-19-2009, 05:14 AM
The vendor screen close button has still the tooltip in english, even with 1.014.

See attached picture.

The same is true for the bookshelf screen.

Shadow, please move this post to the Depths of Peril forum, sorry for the mistake!

DetlevH
02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Lately i found the Necklace Ember.

Although i added the german name in items.trn the game shows still the english name.

Shadow, would you please check it?

DetlevH
03-05-2009, 07:34 AM
As you see, the popup window on the trade screen is still in english.

DetlevH
07-24-2009, 05:57 AM
I am back!!!! With some remarks ;-}

The Close button of the book shelf window is still in english.

If you move the cursor on a text which is also a button (like fog of war in map window) the text becomes green, a popup window with a help screen appears and you can press the button. But if the translated text is longer than the original english text, this won't work on the whole text area, only in the part of the text which has the same length as the original english text had.

The close button of the vendor screen is also still in english.

In global.trn you'll find

Fire "Feuer"
Poison "Gift"

But there's not entry for Curse.

DetlevH
08-10-2009, 09:18 AM
@Shadow

Do you see also the edited messages or only new messages? What is the best way to add some things to a message?

Shadow
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Edits are hard to notice. Unless you are correcting grammar type things, it's probably best just to add another reply to a thread.

DetlevH
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Ok, so here is the edited text as new post:

The close button of the vendor screen is also still in english.

In global.trn you'll find

Fire "Feuer"
Poison "Gift"

But there's not entry for Curse.

Shadow
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Ok, I'll fix those. Where are you seeing Curse?

DetlevH
08-11-2009, 02:29 AM
I think, i've seen it here. But it was only a short time to see, maybe i am wrong and there is no curse.:confused:

DetlevH
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I've checked it again. I think it is in the section // Monster status effects of global.trn.

I already translated it but is is still in english.

Shadow
08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, it's probably one of the monster curse status effects. I'll track it down.

all_zebest
05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I am trying to translate the monsters files and the tomes contents, but nothing happens. What should I do ?

Shadow
05-19-2011, 11:15 AM
I am trying to translate the monsters files and the tomes contents, but nothing happens. What should I do ?

If I remember correctly you just need to translate everything in the file and put the file in the correct directory in the Stories directories.

DetlevH
05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
It's great that you are interested in translating DoP.

1.Use the german_mod.zip or the spanish mod as a template. Download it and save it in the assets folder. Unzip it.
2.You will find a directory structure. Translate the files you like and save them.
3.Zip the directory structure you got in item 1. Use a name like german_mod.zip. If you change the name, delete the original zip file, you have downloaded.
4.Open the zip and check if the directory structure is the same.
5.Start DoP and enjoy.
6.If you get no result, please post your zip file here and I will check it.

Have fun!

all_zebest
05-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Thank you gentlemen. I put my file (a tome content) in the original directory (not in the "English" directory) and it worked !

all_zebest
05-30-2011, 12:31 AM
I have another question. If you put a " (quotation mark) instead of an ' (apostrophe), bugs will occur. But what about / (slash)? I think we have the same problem with slashes. Because I still have bugs after I checked my ". I remember I added a shash or two in my translation. Maybe it comes from there.

It is not so important, but my bugs are : the water supply quest name being corrupted and in the revenge quest "my son" being corupted too.

Thanks in advance.

Shadow
05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
I think / is going to be fairly safe, but \ is not in general. Like \n will get converted into a line feed basically.

It seems there is some error in quests.gdb. Start at where the water supply quest name and son stuff is and work your way up.

all_zebest
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
I finally found what went wrong with the poisoned supply quest and the revenge quest.
The terms "son", "aunt", "water", "food" etc are not in the quest file. You just have to add lines like these in the appropriate quest locations :

RevengeMother "mère"
RevengeSister "soeur"
RevengeDaughter "fille"
RevengeAunt "tante"
RevengeFather "père"
RevengeBrother "frère"
RevengeSon "fils"
RevengeUncle "oncle"

PoisonedSupplyFood "nourriture"
PoisonedSupplyWater "eau potable"

all_zebest
08-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Shadow, I have a question. Is the number of skipped lines an important matter ? Because I suppressed some and I hope I didn't cause any bug.

Shadow
08-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Shadow, I have a question. Is the number of skipped lines an important matter. Because I suppressed some and I hope I didn't cause any bug.

You mean lines that you removed from the trn files? If so it will just print the index name (the part on the left) when it gets to something that isn't translated. For example,
SomePhrase "Some phrase goes here"
it will print SomePhrase

all_zebest
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I meant the blank lines. Sometimes there is one, sometimes there are two, or more.
I think it doesn't change anything, but I wanted confirmation.

Shadow
08-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh, the game shouldn't care about blank lines at all. You can have as many or as few of them as you want.

all_zebest
08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Thank you very much !
So now my only care is not to forget any quotation marks. I forgot one two days ago and it screw up the whole game. Fortunately, I found where it was yesterday.