PDA

View Full Version : modding mac verson

chirsoldwiz
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
hey there

went to have delve around but I'm not getting anything working

My first thought was that I am being dumb so apologies in advance...

from what I gathered here on forums, if I have a modified file, say systems.gdb unzipped the assets folder, it would take precededence over the ones on the zips?

Other thought is that maybe Apple's TextEdit is adding something to the files they don't like?

final thought is that I have no clue as no change shows up and so I would be grateful for some help.....:)

Nice game by the way, has been fun

oh, and one other question if I may? The sound output only recognises the apple's own speakers in the box, which are not the best, not the external ones I have plugged in - any thought on how to change that please?

Shadow
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
What most people miss the first time is that you need to preserve the directory structure that is in the zips. Systems.gdb should be in the Assets/Database directory. Assets is the directory that the zips are in.

The easy way to tell if it is working is to temporarily change the version in the systems.gdb file and see if it changes on the main menu in the game.

I'll have to look into the speakers issue. I'm surprised it just doesn't work. I'm not sure the game has much control over something like that.

chirsoldwiz
06-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Ayre was surprised myself, but I'm even more puzzled that now it is using the external speakers and not the fizz box in the Mac Pro

The mere threat of you looking into it seems to have been enough

Oddly enough now that I am using the directory structure as you suggested that is working too :)

Thanks

(name here)
06-23-2008, 05:42 PM
What most people miss the first time is that you need to preserve the directory structure that is in the zips. Systems.gdb should be in the Assets/Database directory. Assets is the directory that the zips are in.

i don't quite understand what you mean with that. do i have to have an unzipped folder named database with any modded files in it?

Shadow
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
i don't quite understand what you mean with that. do i have to have an unzipped folder named database with any modded files in it?

Only zip files will work directly in the Assets directory, everything else is really expected in a specific subdirectory that depends on what type of file it is. All of the gdb files are in Database, all of the sound files are in the Sounds directory, etc. This is hidden some because everything is normally in the zip files and zips sometimes hide the directory info.

So anyways there is directory structure information in the zip files and if you keep it intact correctly your loose files will work fine, but if you don't the game won't find your new or changed files because they will be in the wrong place.

Paladin Sponge
06-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Granted, my programming ability is laughable, but I still can't make it work.

The changing version number thing.

I go in, unzip assets001, open up systems.gdb, change the version number, and get out. Can't play the game with it uncompressed, apparently. After compressing it, DoP still wouldn't start up. I had to toss the original assets folder and replace it with a backup.

Shadow
06-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, you are probably hitting the 2nd most common issue. The systems.gdb file in Assets001.zip was the one that shipped in the original game. That particular file has changed many times since then. Any time a file is changed it goes into Assets003.zip and the other two zip files are not changed. This keeps patches really small.

So you need to start with the systems.gdb file in Assets003.zip.

Paladin Sponge
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Hrmm, I tried that too, didn't work.

Basically, I unzipped assets003, edited systems.gdb so it would display a different version number, saved it, compressed it, and left it all just as found.

What happened was, instead of it displaying the version number I wrote into assets003, it displayed the version number listed in assets001.

Subsequent changing of systems.gdb in assets001 causes consistent crash on attempt to start DoP.

Not a big deal, just kinda curious. I wanna see what the game's insides look like. In a totally non-creepy, non-threatening manner.

Delve
06-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Granted, my programming ability is laughable

Ahah. No wonder you didn't get the 64 joke. ;)

Try this. Create a folder "<DoP install folder>/assets/Database"

Unzip systems.gdb from assets003.zip and put it in that folder.
Change the version number in the unzipped file.
Now open DoP.

Do not zip the file back up, do not put it back in the assets003 zip file. You could, but it's more complicated and there's no point to it right now. When you publish a self contained mod then you can worry about packaging, when you're just messing about with the game files for your own amusment it doesn't matter at all.

What you just created is usually referred to as a 'loose file' around here. With the latest version there is also the option of creating a file that very specifically mods a single aspect of the game. It's only the tiniest bit more complicated to do, and much more effective. That's the next thing you should look at once you can get a simple mod working.

Caveat: I don't play on a Mac. I expect the file structure is pretty much the same, but i'm a PC dork myself.

Paladin Sponge
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Since I've got you, can you explain this one to me?

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3531&postcount=3

although I downloaded SDK, of course because it's a mac, I can't use it.

---Edit---

On a lark, I just went to the line that says, "max party size" and made it 6 instead of 2. Loaded up the game, and now I've got a full out party! Area heal, you may no longer be useless. Mage, you may see some playtime. Mwuahahahaha!

I'll report back with any problems, but squee! I'm so excited!

Paladin Sponge
06-25-2008, 11:55 PM
(Was supposed to be before my last post! X_x)

*begins worshipping*

I am not worthy!

it now says 2.0 ^_~ Thanks D!

Yeah, I was mostly a PC kinda guy myself, but Vista sealed the deal for me and I made the jump to Mac for stability. Though I consider this my personal work computer, it's nice to be able to play a few games on it when I've got a lot of quiet time at work. If/when I build a new gaming rig, it'll probably be an XP based desktop.

I'm not really one of those hardcore computer guys, just got a bro-in-law who's a white hat, and what I would consider passing familiarity. You know, I can do some stuff just because I picked it up over the years, but I'm really just a layman.

At any rate, next stop, modding party size! =D

Delve
06-26-2008, 05:27 AM
You got the party size bit. That's all it takes. You can now obliterate pretty much any zone less than about your level + 20 with impunity. You still have to worry about enemy covenants though.

I did this for a while with my warrior, for grins. It was disgustingly easy as long as I stayed out in the open where my recruits weren't always in the way.

Next step is to do a quick review of the documentation in the SDK (if you can get it) and figure out how to rewrite that loose file into a self contained, maintainable mod. The entire file will be 4 lines long in total if you get it right.

Spoiler: That post you linked earlier is actually exactly what you want. The override keyword indicates that you're, uh, overriding a property that is already defined elsewhere. This lets you change something without having to completely duplicate the original data, making mods much more, heh, modular.

Paladin Sponge
06-26-2008, 06:09 AM
heh heh, strange. I didn't do the "override" thing, I just went in, found the line that said max party size = 2, replaced the 2 with a 6, and it worked. *shrugs* At any rate, if you couldn't tell me MO around here, it's to fiddle around and post my perspective on things. Kinda my way of contributing something back to the community. That and buying the game. =D

Delve
06-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Overriding is slightly different from messing about with the original file. The loose file you made actually replaces, completely, the original file in the asset zip. Essentially the game finds your file and completely ignores the original.

This works, but it's extremely ugly, excessive, and not the least bit friendly to patch upgrades and/or other mods. Override files dispense with those flaws by only changing the properties you want changed. I don't know the algorithm used but the result is that the game loads the originial files, then it loads your mod file and changes just the properties that are there and leaves everything else from the original file untouched. This is cleaner, and allows patches and mods to coexist peacefully.

Paladin Sponge
06-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Hrmm, well thanks for the succinct explanation. I really didn't know what overriding meant until I read that.

By the way, working on a post for the strategy section on mass grouping.

Also, you wouldn't happen to know how put lesser heal as one of my NPC priest's skills, would you?

Delve
06-26-2008, 07:21 AM
I can whip up a mod that'll make it an option for priest recruits. Skills are randomly assigned though, and it'll probably take a while before you get a recruit with the skill.

I did it a while back, but it seems that the AI doesn't handle healing spells particularly well so I took it out. I think I saved the file though, and it should be trivial to package it up for you. Then you can dissect it to see how it's done. ;)

Edit: I don't remember exactly where the data is stored, and I don't have the file on this computer. I'll put it up in this thread as soon as I can though. :)

Paladin Sponge
06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks D. In the meantime, I'll dig through the hex editor again. Maybe I can do something on my end. Or horribly mess up my game. Definitely agree on it probably taking awhile though. I waited about 20 or so levels before my warrior found a priest with vitality.

Paladin Sponge
06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Success! Well, at least I'm 1 for 1 so far. The heal spam wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It looked like, on load up, the first thing she did was buff. After that, she started healing. I went into the woods for a quick fight, she seemed to heal when we were down a bit of HP, but stops short of topping off, so I think there's a bit of sense built into it, specifically against overhealing maybe? I'll need to test it out a bit more before I can comment further methinks.

Delve
06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Maybe Shadow tweaked the AI in a release after I took my mod out? If I recall correctly, my priest only ever healed during a fight, and then only rarely. Anyway, I may have to try it again.

Delve
06-26-2008, 10:11 AM
And, here's that file I promised. Just drop it straight into your assets folder, as is. Don't bother extracting it.

This will add Regeneration, Lesser Heal, Greater Heal, Group Heal, and Divine Intervention to the list of random skills available to recruits. Remember, that means healing for AI covs as well, and it may be a while before a priest comes up with one of these skills.

If you want to see how it was done, just extract it and open the file in a text editor.

Paladin Sponge
06-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks D. I like how there's a second method to do this, one I'm unfamiliar with. I'll fix it posthaste.

Paladin Sponge
06-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Haven't gotten to there yet, still kinda enjoying the modifications made thus far. I think after I read up on SDK and reverse-engineer your two packages I downloaded, I wanna see about creating/modifying two of the classes.

I'd heard that I can't make new classes, but I can modify existing ones to kinda move in that direction. For the warrior, I want to see about more of a paladin archetype. For priest, I want to see if I can make something akin to a soul reaper ala Bleach anime. While I'm at it, updating and modifying some of the more useless skills may be in order as well. Just getting away from fixed damage would be nice. Change Warrior gut to a deep wound proc, things like that.

In addition, maybe toss in some flavor to the combat as well, from a procedural standpoint. Like say, a skill to thrust, which'll increase armor piercing, or feint for the warrior, which realistically shouldn't be out of the question. Just thinking.

Delve
06-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Yeah, the game is hardcoded for 4 classes. But you can do just about anything to those classes as long as you don't mind giving up one of them.

Let me know what you come up with, I'd be interested in giving it a go.

Paladin Sponge
06-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Will do, but it might be awhile. I'm having a lot of fun =D

(name here)
06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
It would seem that i was correct about the loose files being in a folder called database was needed to make them work. it would also seems i caused a crash bug in one of those.