PDA

View Full Version : Weapons?

o8strider8o
06-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I downloaded the demo off of Apple's website and I'm curious on weapon speed: Is a lower number faster?

Also, is dps the number that really counts? What should i look for with my weapons?

and are there range weapons?

ShaggyMoose
06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I think a lower number means you swing more often. The number is part of the DPS calculation though, so you can just look at DPS for an overall indicator. However, I think additional effects like fire damage etc. are not included in the DPS rating, so you should also consider this in your choice (if I am wrong about this, someone please tell me). At this time, there are no ranged weapons, but I hope Shadow will change this in the expansion...

Paladin Sponge
06-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Depending on your class, I'd go with a weapon with a high damage range over DPS. Many of the skills for warrior, rogue, and to a lesser extent, priests, are instant hits.

Shadow
06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Weapon speed is the time to attack with that weapon, so yes lower is faster.

DPS does include everything that makes sense (min & max damage, all of the elemental damages, multipliers, speed, etc.).

There is one gotcha though. If you are looking at the DPS of the weapon itself it can be a little misleading because it doesn't take into account your specific character bonuses. For example if your character has a large bonus to physical damage and you are looking at one weapon that has lots of fire damage and one that has lots of physical damage, the fire damage weapon could look better from its DPS and other numbers but once equipped the physical damage weapon might end up being better.

There is also what Paladin Sponge said, sometimes a slower but higher damage weapon can be better than a higher DPS weapon. This can happen in cases where you get a lot of your overall damage from skills that only apply to one hit.

Delve
06-25-2008, 06:11 AM
On the flip side, if you're specced out for criticals and, to a lesser extent, crushing blows* then you want a low speed weapon even if it has a slightly lower DPS. More hits gives you more chances at a critical. There's a lot of math and planning behind finding your cutoff between DPS, max damage, and speed. :)

* High max damage is good for crushing blows, but gargantuan 2-handers hit so slow you're not going to get very many. There's math there too. One of these days I may have to whip up a spreadsheet to toy around with the numbers. Right now I just go with my gut. ;)