PDA

View Full Version : Tentative modding project wishlist

Paladin Sponge
07-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Alright, I've had my fun with six-manning the game. At this point, all I've got to look forward to is grinding on towards lvl 50 on my mage and rogue in order to start the next epoch of the game. Kinda dull work and I figure I might as well try my hand at this modding thing while the grinding has me stuck in a rut.

This is more my agenda than anything else. I'm posting it up to get a bit of feedback in terms of direction and implementation.

Here's the changes I want to try and make in my game:

World:

X-More bags. I'm ready to use 14 slots, but am still running around with 10's. I'd rather not screw with world drops, rather, modifying the selection of Oslo the vendor.

-Quests that are scaled to the areas I'm traveling in rather than my level. If I'm in Black Forest, give me quests there, not Deep Desert.

X-On the topic of quests, I do not want any quests in dungeons. I hate being forced into them. They're okay when I feel like it, but if I've got 10 minutes to make it to the fifth level of a randomly generated cave, there may be a problem.

X-When I start a new world, I want dungeons to be spawned in high level areas. I want one in Black Forest all the time.

X-When I clear areas, I want them to stay cleared. I'm not sure how it'll balance out with random quests, but this is really speaking to the dungeon thing. If I clear out an entire level, leave it clear until I log off. Due to the turn-arounds and dead ends, I hate coming back to an area I went to five minutes ago and having to clear it again.

X-More frequent and greater in scope town attacks. Give me more dimensional gates. Give me more than the lone scout.

First off, the dimensional gate thing was cool, but short lived. Less of a real threat than I would've liked. Put five or six of those things scattered around the town and there's more of a problem. I want to have to get guards to fend off monsters, not just other covenants. I want to have to make the decision between defending my covenant house and saving the Warmaster because there's two gates smack dab next to my front door and another in the town center.

If there's a scout, I want a sense of urgency. Like, if you don't kill the scout within 1.30 minutes, the advance force of 15 or so monsters will arrive. And if they're not killed in short order, the 1st wave of an invading army will arrive, etc.

I want combos and attacks in tandem. Wave 3 of the army wasn't beaten fast enough. They've got a foothold and dimensional gates were established. Wave 2 brought the support battalion, siege towers are in the woods bombarding me while fighting off monsters in the town. Something like that would make the world more... interesting.

I want them to establish a base of operations. Uprising of X in wicked desert wasn't suppressed in time. They've sent out a scout, which wasn't killed. They've sent in the advance force, which wasn't taken out. The 1st wave of their army has arrived, their siege towers have been set up. Quest failed, new quest for X unique monster sighted in Grimalkin forest. X leader has formed a group of monsters. So now you've got the enemy literally at the gates, providing a sense of clear and present danger. If this is the last bastion of civilization in the wild, there's gotta be those who would see it burned to the ground. Make it so.

X-Combat needs to be more lethal. I'm talking one hit from a sword and me or mobs are in a world of hurt. None of this bash-fest stuff anymore.

-More than one buff at a time, or elixir, or resistance pot.

-I want access to the buffs that some recruits and monsters have. How do you like a frost nova in the face every time you hit me now!?

General Class Changes:

-Some more basic skills. Like the warrior focus tree, I think all the melee classes (e.g. not mages) should be able to focus on fighting defensively, offensively, or balanced. I'm thinking along the lines of modifying the basic attack so that these, if not something you'd put skill points in, would modify that basic auto-attack. There should be a greater tradeoff as well such as, fighting offensively will do greater damage but will reduce armor and defense as well. Kinda similar to the berserk buff some monsters have.

Along with the fighting mode, there should be additional basic tactical options. I want to feint, perform a limited attack that sets me up for an advantage on the next attack, and other actions. Even if I'm just fighting one on one, it should be more interactive should I choose it. And if I choose to interact, I should be rewarded for that work.

Paladin Sponge
07-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Alright, I know it fairly well. Let's change this up too. I want to take it in the direction of (you guessed it) a paladin. There's a reason I've only got 4 skills on my toolbar. So what's the harm in changing it up? I want him to have heals, buffs, and more viable offensive/defensive options.

New skills:

-First order of business will deal with faith. If possible, I want faith and rage. If that can't happen, I'll have to go with faith over rage. Dunno if it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

-There's a skill if you parry, a skill if you block, but what about when I dodge? If I dodge, I want another skill to punish my opponent. Not sure what, but there are plenty of models to choose from.

-Add lesser heal at a minimum, in keeping with my vision for the changes.

-Take a bunch of the priest buffs. It's not like they use it.

-Take the poison cure as well.

-Add a ranged attack option of some kind.

-Add a holy damage AoE or a skill that adds a % of damage as holy damage in melee.

-Will need prayer for the faith.

-Smite-like skill which will allow the paladin to power his faith by fighting. Basically allow faith to regenerate in the same way rage does. Should be a perma-buff rather than temporary.

-An emergency skill like divine intervention but more effective. Increase faith and health is okay, but how about an AoE stun or something?

Changes to existing skills:

-Gut needs to be more viable endgame. Realistically, being gutted is more of a problem than the pittance of HP it's worth past lvl 20. Maybe make it a lethal action, like, in 20 seconds, X will die. Or victim will be stunned, have a penalty to defense, have a major distraction, etc. Balancing trade offs can be made, such as "Gut" has a -50% attack rating, so it's extremely hard to land, but wildly rewarding when it does.

-Bash needs to scale better. It should provide full silence at any level for the duration of the cooldown if it lands. If I'm on a mob, I should be able to control it's spellcasting for longer than .3 seconds out of every 10. Love the idea, but the execution needs some touching up.

-Remove cooldown for power strike. Might be kinda overpowered, but I think it's fair game. I'm doing the same thing with crush, only less damage at more point cost. This'd take crush out, freeing up a skill slot.

-Make devastating blow go off faith. It retains it's use as a last-ditch tool without having to plan around it and it would be more meaningful.

-Make whirlwind hit -all- targets in melee range.

-Taunt should debuff in addition to enrage. Or just debuff, given how much I care about my followers. Cause a distraction for my rogue, decrease their defense, etc.

-Precision should also increase chance of deep wounds proc.

-Focus skills are kinda covered by the general class changes, so this'd be obsolete.

-Enrage should do what my new taunt does. An AoE debuff/distraction.

-Riposte should be a general attack skill, available to all with a single point expenditure. Probably keep the improvements for it, to keep the option open. Make the +DMG a fixed percent, improving based on skill point investment.

-Revenge makes no sense to me. Might take it out.

-Shield mastery needs overhauling. Good idea, but currently doesn't overcome the lethality a two handed weapon gives. Needs to be made more attractive. Maybe it increases armor by a % as well or take down spell damage. Stands to reason that if I'm crouching behind a tower shield as a caster shoots a firebolt at me, I shouldn't get hurt as much.

-Block, parry, and deflection can be grouped into one defense skill and should increase by a percent of defense. These must be tied into upgraded reaction skills to be made more attractive.

-Overpower should have a fixed freeze time, regardless of level. The damage should scale with equipment and it should be more significant. We're talking about overpowering through an enemy's attack, not a block and counter maneuver.

-Make plate armor a basic skill and give the option to put points into making plate armor more effective.

Paladin Sponge
07-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Because I'm kinda enamored with Bleach, I want this class to be more like a soul-reaper from the animated series. *shrug* Functionally, this will be more like a combination of a melee focused class with mage-like spell casting abilities.

New Skills:

-Change up Faith and go more in the direction of focus. I like that the max amount is based on spirit. We'll keep that aspect. I also like that you can pray or "meditate" to recharge. I want to keep that too. But I want to add in the aspect of fighting and what not to increase the amount, with the amount jumping based on intricate moves and killing mobs.

-Trees should fall under something resembling this: Zanpaktou, Kido, and Hoho. Or, weapon mastery, demon magic, and agility.

-Under Zanpaktou, we're looking at a lot of ripping off melee skills from the warrior and rogue. For the most part, that will require little innovation on my part. I'd like to see a skill revolving more around weapon improvement, to simulate the importance of the Zanpaktou in Bleach. Something like, per rank, when using swords, gives X characteristics. More than damage, attack, and crit. Toss in increased health, stun, etc. when using said weapon type. For the most part, restrict the bonuses to one-handed swords used without a shield. Dunno if it's possible, just one direction I'd like to take it in.

There will also be a true form and ultimate form (Bankai), though I'm not sure how well this will translate over.

-Under Kido, or demon magic, there's a slew of spells possible. So I had to pare it down a bit to say, five and five.

- For binding spells:

Geki will completely stun a target.

Kakushitsuijaku will put a dot on the main map where a quest target is, for instance, when tasked out to hunt a mob, instead of just a zone where they were seen, I want a marker with where they're at in the zone.

Danku will be a group buff that prevents all damage for a period of time.

Bankin is basically paralysis combined with damage over a short time frame. It'll do massive damage and cost lots of power.

There's a healing spell as well, who's name eludes me. But it should be more like an advanced regeneration spell.

- For destruction spells:

Byakurai, or white lightening, is just a bolt of electricity. Should have a stun effect as well.

Shakkaho is just firebolt.

Sokatsui, blue fire crash down, is an AoE like fireball, but without the travel time.

Haien, abolish flames, is like immolation, but faster and more damaging.

Hiryugeki zoku shinten raiho, is really really long in english. Basically, it's an awesome AoE. Minimal travel time. Think of it as calling in artillery.

-From top to bottom, cast time and power cost increases. There should also be an option that takes away the cast time but significantly reduces damage. It's more like a self buff. It's either on or you turned it off.

-There should also be a skill that increases the radius and slightly inreases damage. Though concentrating on the skill will be the most efficient way to increase damage, if the skill is super powered, there's no reason it shouldn't affect greater areas or more than one target. Could also put this in for each skill individually e.g. next rank increases radius 10% or something.

-The agility tab is kinda barren. There's flashcry which increases battle abilities with the risk of... imploding... and flash step which will basically function as teleport, only better. Maybe make this the place for the variety of passive skills that are in the game.

Changed skills:

-If I decide to use holy bolt or holy fire for my Paladin build, the damage needs to scale with equipment/level.

-Retribution, if I keep this one in, needs to improve the stun effect. Maybe not a full ten seconds, but keep it at five all the time or something.

-Lifeburn needs to scale and will likely be changed Bankin.

-Zeal will be replaced by better skill choices.

-Holy strike will be moved to the kido tree.

-Holy symbol will probably become Hiryugeki zoku shinten raiho.

-Prayer will be a fixed %.

-Precision moved to "agility" tree.

-Shield mastery will be removed.

-Cure poison will be changed to take out a percentage of the poison damage. 1st rank 25%, 4 ranks 100%, that sort of deal. (Paladin ability)

-Smite will be a permanent self-buff. (Paladin ability)

-Regeneration will be scaled appropriately to the game and duration will be increased to make it more user friendly. That or I'll make it far more effective with -very- limited duration. More like a combination between greater-heal and regeneration in scope.

-Greater heal will be removed.

-Divine intervention will heal and restore more per point, have an increased cooldown, and add an AoE stun. (Paladin ability)

-Area heal will be removed.

-Hardiness might be okay. I may try to change it to a fixed % to make it less overpowering. (Paladin ability)

-True aim suffers from the opposite problem. It sucks. Make it a fixed% and give it something more to be attractive. If my aim is truer, I should have a better chance of crushing blows, crits, deep wound procs, and stuff like that. (Paladin ability)

-Protection skills are lacking. Make it scale somehow. Maybe +1 resistance per caster's level or something. (Paladin ability)

-Shield of fire should do more damage. It'd make sense if it were like actually being shielded in fire. So if a mob hits something with this buff, they'd take damage as though from a half-ranked firebolt and receive a fire debuff on the order of a half-ranked immolate. Something like that. (Paladin ability)

-Holy shield needs to scale. It should either have a far out cooldown time or be able to keep it up all the time. Maybe a self-buff that lets you take a % of damage to your faith while it's up. (Not sure if it'll be a paladin ability or soul-reaper ability. Maybe both)

-Chain armor should be a basic skill, but will be rendered obsolete by lack of priests.

Paladin Sponge
07-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Basically I'm happy with this class. I'd focus a bit more on battle control and battle preparation.

Make the focus bar increasable. Maybe link it to dexterity or something. It should start full as well, regaining slowly on it's own or with skill use. In other words, it means the longer a rogue is in the fight, the worse the rogue will do, making it necessary to retreat and regroup. Which I think makes for a vastly different playstyle than what's currently in the class. Not sure if I'll like the change though, but might as well give it a try.

New skills:

-I want to be able to put my own traps down. Not sure how this will be done, but I think the concept of ambushing fits in well with the rogue.

-Poisoned weapons. All the time.

-Also, different poisons. Poisons that reduce strength, vitality, and other attributes.

-throw a rock? Something that'll draw opponents to where you want them. Similar to knocking on a wall and waiting for a sentry to check it out.

-Garrote or something should be a skill. If my rogue can sneak up and knock someone upside the head with a sap, they should also be able to perform a more permanent fix.

Changed skills:

Everything a rogue does should have a greater chance of causing deep wounds. Take away the distraction requirements as well.

-Viper venom needs to scale. Probably won't go with a fixed%, but tie it's damage to int. Make it a self-perma buff that costs money to activate. Make it last only a few applications before needing to be reapplied.

-Jab doesn't make much sense. Maybe instead, while under effects of stealth ambush buff, generate no hate.

-Death blow is way to difficult to use. Maybe make it like critical strike in that it's totally instant in application. Also, cloud of poison makes little sense. Perhaps, if it kills, gain a huge amount of momentum and a cleave-like or whirlwind like additional strike on adjacent opponents.

-Critical strike should be triggered by stealth as well.

-Charged strike makes little sense for a rogue. Maybe something along the lines of caltrop, some sort of goop that you throw at a target, making it difficult for the opponent to attack (reducing attack speed), with additional ranks increasing the area of effect.

-Dazzle should be more spectacular. I'm thinking more along the lines of a flashbang. Huge decreases of attack and defense scaled on a %. Also make it drastically less effective if used out of stealth. Fix duration to 10 seconds or so. Make it targetable like ice storm, to simulate tossing it out towards a group of mobs instead of centering it on me.

-Stealth should be a single point skill, if not a basic. Should have more impressive bonuses, given the infrequency of use.

-Gouge -attack and defense should be a fixed %. Should last much longer. Stabbing a knife into a mob's eye should be more than a five second problem.

-Sleight of Hand should be part of stealth bonus. Or make it a perma-buff for hate-reduction.

-Daze is... kinda pitiful. Though it's nice for dealing taking a boss out of the fight while dealing with crowds, I think it should last longer. We're talking complete unconsciousness. Or change it to a different skill.

-Dodge, evasion, and deflection need to be a % or something to keep it more relevant. Against equal level mobs, my rogue already has a 23% chance of being missed. It's more than enough without skills. Maybe something about avoiding spell damage or reducing poison damage, which shouldn't be out of line with the class. Also, unlike the warrior, there are no rogue skills which activate when I dodge, block, or parry attacks. Maybe change the skills so that instead of a distraction they require one of these things in lieu of momentum costs. Something like that.

-Smoke screen is really cool, but I'm not sure if it should cause an AoE stun. Maybe change this into the dazzle thing and dazzle into the stun.

-Caltrops need to be made more permanent to simulate having caltrops all over the place. Make it targetable and less effective the more mobs it's used on.

-Disarm trap needs to scale and max out. 10% chance per rank or something. Capping out at 98% or something, to still allow a chance of failure without turning it into the point sink it is now.

-Burst of speed, blur, and poison need to be less of a temporary thing. Make it so it's a constant drain on momentum or something.

-Combat reflexes needs drastic overhaul to make it attractive. It should reduce damage from all sources, increase damage output, chance of crit, crushing blow, deep wound proc, attack and defense.

-Precision should increase chances of beneficial random events as well. Should also increase damage in addition to attack.

-Deadly aim should be do the same. May be obsolete.

-Spot vulnerability should be a better value. Scale it with dexterity or something.

Paladin Sponge
07-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Still don't like this class much, but it's far more useful in a large group than otherwise. Casting ability should be on par with damage. If my lvl 40 warrior can crit for 1500 damage, my lvl 40 mage should do the same.

New skills:

-I'd like to see more earth skills. There's an earth AoE. There should also be a single target equivalent of arctic shard, firebolt, or lightning.

-All skills should do increased damage based on INT, like a warrior's STR affects their melee output.

-All single target skills should have a minor AoE that increases in radius per rank.

-Magic buffs for the party. Something like haste and enchanting weapons, etc.

Changed skills:

-Fiery blast, sweeping flames, fireball, spontaneous combustion, arctic shard, ice storm, frost nova, earthquake, lightning, chain lightning, and ball of lightning should do much more damage. I'm not sure if this should be some kind of % of target's life or fixed based on skill level and attributes, but it needs to do more.

-Fire debuff should be more lethal. There's no such thing as minor fire debuff. You are either on fire or you're not. If on fire, there should be penalties to attack and defense.

-Lightning skills should cause a stun effect. Ever been hit with a taser? Yeah. Lightning should be like a taser.

-Not sure what to do about Earth magic. If I can think of a relevant debuff, I'll try to put that in there too.

-mastery skills should be more valuable. They should decrease cost and cast time, increase damage and effectiveness, and as many other things as can be packed in.

-Ice storm and sweeping flames should increase in duration with skill ranks. With ice storm, the debuff just lasts longer. With sweeping flames, you cast it once and it's done. Should be a flamethrower for a second or two if you go through the trouble of setting the mobs up to use it like that.

-It stands to reason that weakness should reduce more than just physical damage output. Think HP, attack, defense, armor piercing, etc. It should be AoE and last a longer time.

-Ironskin needs to be better. Maybe make it into something that petrifies friendly targets. Or make it into a fixed%.

-Earthquake should do more damage and prevent spellcasting for a time to simulate an ongoing earthquake. Should also slow down movement, attack speed, attack and defense rating, etc.

-Petrify needs to scale up. Maybe add an AoE effect as well.

-Ball of lightning cooldown time should be adjusted to allow it to be kept up at all times. Maybe speed up it's bolt casting rate and reduce cooldown to keep it on par with ice storm. Often times, the mobs are all dead by the time this runs out.

-Counterspell should be an aura or buff. It's on or it's not. It should also work to prevent all hostile spellcasting attempts in an area, not just projectile based.

-Blinding flash should be similar to the new rogue's flashbang sorta thing. Damage shouldn't break the effect, given all the AoE's at a mage's disposal.

-Evasion should be removed.

-Armor melt should be fixed, AoE, and last longer. Should also cause some damage as I'm assuming melting armor might be hot? Dunno.

-Magic shield should fall under one of two schools of thought. You should be able to keep it up the entire time, in which case cooldown will equate with duration. It should last much longer, making it practically a perma-buff or very long duration. If I go this route, I'd want it to take a percentage of damage and take it out of mana.

The second route is the emergency use school of thought. It'd be insta-cast, cost high amounts of mana, and take a ton of abuse. It'd have a decent duration, like what it is now, and a -very- long cooldown.

-Arcane focus should be a general magic buff. Like mastery skills, but generalized to increasing effectiveness of all magic spells. Decrease cast time, mana cost, etc. Or, make it a much more effective temporary buff. Have it quadruple spell damage and such. Just make it more attractive.

-Make teleport spammable. Mages shouldn't have to walk when they're willing to spend mana for it.

-Stasis may be rendered obsolete.

-Concentration should do more than just increase regen. Decrease cast times perhaps.

-Hidden magic may need to be changed due to upgraded damage of mage skills.

---END---

That's the agenda. A tall order, but it's not like I'm going to slave away at it days on end. I'm not even sure many of these changes are possible. If you can think of anything to help me in reaching these goals, I'd like to hear it.

(name here)
07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Alright, I've had my fun with six-manning the game. At this point, all I've got to look forward to is grinding on toward lvl 50 on my mage and rogue in order to start the next epoch of the game. Kinda dull work and I figure I might as well try my hand at this modding thing while the grinding has me stuck in a rut.

This is more my agenda than anything else. I'm posting it up to get a bit of feedback in terms of direction and implementation.

Here's the changes I want to try and make in my game:

World:

-More bags. I'm ready to use 14 slots, but am still running around with 10's. I'd rather not screw with world drops, rather, modifying the selection of Oslo the vendor.
you'll have to mess with at least treasure chest drops.

-Quests that are scaled to the areas I'm traveling in rather than my level. If I'm in Black Forest, give me quests there, not Deep Desert.

the quest system is not that simple to manipulate. you'll have to set up a script to alter the minlevel and maxlevel values.

-On the topic of quests, I do not want any quests in dungeons. I hate being forced into them. They're okay when I feel like it, but if I've got 10 minutes to make it to the fifth level of a randomly generated cave, there may be a problem.

the quest system does not work that way. no caves or quests in caves. pick one.

-When I start a new world, I want dungeons to be spawned in high level areas. I want one in Black Forest all the time.

this will be easy enough, but it will mean dealing with more dungeon quests, so make your choice.

-When I clear areas, I want them to stay cleared. I'm not sure how it'll balance out with random quests, but this is really speaking to the dungeon thing. If I clear out an entire level, leave it clear until I log off. Due to the turn-around and dead ends, I hate coming back to an area I went to five minutes ago and having to clear it again.

i'm not sure how this will work, but it should be noted monsters purportedly only spawn in areas with quests running.

-More frequent and greater in scope town attacks. Give me more dimensional gates. Give me more than the lone scout.

First off, the dimensional gate thing was cool, but short lived. Less of a real threat than I would've liked. Put five or six of those things scattered around the town and there's more of a problem. I want to have to get guards to fend off monsters, not just other covenants. I want to have to make the decision between defending my covenant house and saving the Warmaster because there's two gates smack dab next to my front door and another in the town center.

If there's a scout, I want a sense of urgency. Like, if you don't kill the scout within 1.30 minutes, the advance force of 15 or so monsters will arrive. And if they're not killed in short order, the 1st wave of an invading army will arrive, etc.

I want combos and attacks in tandem. Wave 3 of the army wasn't beaten fast enough. They've got a foothold and dimensional gates were established. Wave 2 brought the support battalion, siege towers are in the woods bombarding me while fighting off monsters in the town. Something like that would make the world more... interesting.

I want them to establish a base of operations. Uprising of X in wicked desert wasn't suppressed in time. They've sent out a scout, which wasn't killed. They've sent in the advance force, which wasn't taken out. The 1st wave of their army has arrived, their siege towers have been set up. Quest failed, new quest for X unique monster sighted in Grimalkin forest. X leader has formed a group of monsters. So now you've got the enemy literally at the gates, providing a sense of clear and present danger. If this is the last bastion of civilization in the wild, there's gotta be those who would see it burned to the ground. Make it so.

that's a tall order, and i think you'll have to settle for the town attack quests calling uniques into the town instead of the forest, though you might know more about the quest-generation system than me.

a limited wave number might also be hard, but you can have each attack have a chance of bringing in new gates every 2-3 min, and i KNOW how to add more monsters to the quests. some of this will require an expansion or patch, though.

EDIT: a good idea to make them harder is to up the level value, so the monsters are higher level than the defenders. mind, if you do this mod you will never have NPCs again.

-Combat needs to be more lethal. I'm talking one hit from a sword and me or mobs are in a world of hurt. None of this bash-fest stuff anymore.

-I want access to the buffs that some recruits and monsters have. How do you like a frost nova in the face every time you hit me now!?

General Class Changes:

-Some more basic skills. Like the warrior focus tree, I think all the melee classes (e.g. not mages) should be able to focus on fighting defensively, offensively, or balanced. I'm thinking along the lines of modifying the basic attack so that these, if not something you'd put skill points in, would modify that basic auto-attack. There should be a greater tradeoff as well such as, fighting offensively will do greater damage but will reduce armor and defense as well. Kinda similar to the berserk buff some monsters have.

Along with the fighting mode, there should be additional basic tactical options. I want to feint, perform a limited attack that sets me up for an advantage on the next attack, and other actions. Even if I'm just fighting one on one, it should be more interactive should I choose it. And if I choose to interact, I should be rewarded for that work.

the status buffs are probably doable, though i don't know how, except as a cast spell or focus power. multiple buffs is probably not happening.

Shadow
07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Well I'll get you started on some of these.

-More bags. I'm ready to use 14 slots, but am still running around with 10's. I'd rather not screw with world drops, rather, modifying the selection of Oslo the vendor.

You can't add more bags to Oslo directly. You would need to change the spawn rate for bags in general. Just add a SpawnChance line in BaseBag and use a value higher than 1.0

-On the topic of quests, I do not want any quests in dungeons. I hate being forced into them. They're okay when I feel like it, but if I've got 10 minutes to make it to the fifth level of a randomly generated cave, there may be a problem.

Just add AboveGroundOnly 1 to BaseQuest and there shouldn't be any more quests in the dungeons/caves.

-When I start a new world, I want dungeons to be spawned in high level areas. I want one in Black Forest all the time.

Just go to the area database entries and add DungeonChance 1.0 and they will always have a dungeon/cave. However since the areas are always in random locations you won't know which are the highest areas except for Black Forest.

-When I clear areas, I want them to stay cleared. I'm not sure how it'll balance out with random quests, but this is really speaking to the dungeon thing. If I clear out an entire level, leave it clear until I log off. Due to the turn-arounds and dead ends, I hate coming back to an area I went to five minutes ago and having to clear it again.

You can change MonsterRespawnTime (in systems.gdb) to something way higher to basically do this. You will likely start having problems finishing quests though.

-More frequent and greater in scope town attacks. Give me more dimensional gates. Give me more than the lone scout.

In systems.gdb change QuestTypeChanceTownAttack to be higher if you want to add random town attacks. If you want more town attacks from other quests (uprisings, bosses, etc.) go into quests.gdb and find all of the TownAttackChance lines and increase the chance.

If you really want more town attacks change TownAttackChance in QuestTownAttack, then you can quickly get multiple town attacks at once.

In quests.gdb, in the entry QuestMonsterScout, decrease the MinEventTime and/or MaxEventTime and increase the TownAttackChance, KidnapChance, AssassinChance, and/or TrapChance.

-Combat needs to be more lethal. I'm talking one hit from a sword and me or mobs are in a world of hurt. None of this bash-fest stuff anymore.

In BaseMonsters.gdb, in the MonsterAttributesMonsterBase entry, change MinDamage, MaxDamage, MinDamagePerLevel, and/or MaxDamagePerLevel.

Find the correct status effect in statusEffects.gdb like StatusEffectElixirBase and change EffectType to something more acceptable to you than OnlyOne.

That should give you are good start one your general ideas.

Delve
07-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Go look at this (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791). :)

Particularly the Charged Aura skill. I like that one!

Paladin Sponge
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey, thanks guys ^_^

Per advice I've received, time to roll up my sleeves and get to work!

My only regret is I hadn't come to this point -before- they transition me to dayshift.

D: I'll download the file and put it on my desktop to tinker around with after I knock a few of these goals outta the way.

Paladin Sponge
07-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Tried four so far, three successfully, methinks.

-Bag chance changed. Put it in at 4.0. Haven't found any bags yet, but the game hasn't crashed either, so that's a plus.

-Dungeon quests removed. I'm very happy about this. I made a few rounds in the town and even quests that I'd been avoiding (like a water poison quest) had been changed to regular map areas. Not complete however, the initial contact for some of the escort quests are located in dungeons.

-Dungeon spawn added to Black Forest. This is awesome as I'm currently stuck in grind mode, about 9 levels left for my rogue and mage. This makes it easier for me.

-Tried to change elixirs and resistance pots to two instead of one. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it causes a crash immediately when I click on play game. I tried changing "OnlyOne" to "OnlyTwo" or "Two", but to no avail. Just a little thing. I really only wanted to do it because I've got -way- too many obsolete potions in my shared stash and wanted to get rid of 'em a bit faster but avoid vendoring them.

---

I want to try the town attack modifications, but I want to do it in tandem with making the town NPC's a bit hardier. Though the varied attack scheme I want will make things a bit more fun, having quest NPC's and vendors killed will serve only to inconvenience me, something I hadn't really considered in my earlier post. Is there a way to buff them up?

For the time being, I've decided against modifying the game's basic lethality. Figure maybe my toons can find things that kill them fast enough after all.

Last thing, is there a way to reduce the frequency of diplomatic requests? It's not so bad late in the game when there are only two or three of us left, but initially it gets annoying.

Thanks in advance

(name here)
07-02-2008, 09:47 AM
1. not sure yet, but their stats seem to be stored under NPC archtypes.

2. under convents is stuff managing the frequency of things.

Delve
07-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Look in the NPCArchetypes.gdb file. Do a search for the NPC's name, the names are in there as comments so that will take you to the right spot. Look at the base classes to see what your options are and add those lines to the NPC's class definition.

Shadow
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
One way to make the npcs in town to be hardier is to go into NpcTypes.gdb, find the npcs you want to change and add one or more Enhancement lines just like unique monsters in MonsterTypes.gdb.

For less diplomacy, go into Covenants.gdb and change whatever you want around GiftChanceInfluence and TotalTradeChance. There are a bunch of different values that control trades, gifts, and demands in there.

Delve
07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Oooo. Oslo with a frost nova enchanment. I like it.

(name here)
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Oooo. Oslo with a frost nova enchanment. I like it.

i need to try that

Paladin Sponge
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
I've added a bunch of enhancement lines to the various NPC's in town. Pretty much stuff I think will keep them alive longer during town attacks.

The game didn't crash, thing is, I can't tell if it worked or not, no icon to indicate they're buffed like with most mobs.

EDIT:

NM, the buffs are up.

Town attack stuff changed to make it more frequent and more lethal. It should be assured that if you get a scout, then the town will be attacked shortly. Siege towers only come in batteries of 6 to 12, no more nickel and dime stuff. If the town is attacked, they will establish portals.

Some other minor changes, in particular, enemies meet more frequently (supposedly to coordinate their plans), being in war has a high chance of spawning town attacks, bombardments, and other events.

Gotta go playtest this, see how it goes.

---

Was interesting and slightly frenetic. A scout shows up. Shortly afterwards, the town is bombarded by 12 siege towers. While that's going on, the scout's still running around town and traps were spawned. Then we got the plague and a monster was sighted in Amber Plains. Mwuahahaha

Also changed up the covenant settings. I'll have to start a new game to see the full effect, but so far I haven't been pestered once.

Lastly, I tried to address the quest area issue by changing the min/max level change setting in the quests.gdb. I figured if the quests were generated for higher levels, they'd be located in deeper areas of the game. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any changes.

(name here)
07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
what do you mean by

If the town is attacked, they will establish portals.
and how did you do it?

Paladin Sponge
07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Basically I wanted them to put down multiple portals during town attacks. I wanted the scouts to lead to large groups of scouts followed by multiple portals.

What I ended up with was messing with the probabilities. I don't know how to make an if-then structure. So, partial success.

I was able to change the quantity of the attacks. There's a full battery of siege towers when the town is being bombarded. When a single monster is sighted, in short order, he forms a group. If a scout is spotted, something happens shortly thereafter.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make the mobs, or quests, higher levels. Nor could I dictate when it would happen. Thus, I haven't had a town attack yet, but in 20 minutes of playing, I did get bombarded three times, got scouted twice, water poisoning twice, one petrify, and a unique monster sighting.

I'm thinking maybe this is as close as I'll be able to get it.

(name here)
07-06-2008, 07:54 PM
add minlevel 2, and maxlevel 4 tp the town attack quest, and mess with the probabilites until a town attack is guarnteed.

lower the probablities to a more reasonable level once you've tested them

Paladin Sponge
07-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks. I put it in, just... waiting to see what happens.

(name here)
07-10-2008, 02:04 PM
adjust the probablities to 1.0 for testing.

Paladin Sponge
07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
haha, I learned that one earlier...

See, I thought more was better and... "townattackchance 200.00" doesn't do squat. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Still no action yet. Maybe it's me?

(name here)
07-11-2008, 11:25 AM
it could be the time and you killing quest targets, or alternatly it checks the other possible actions on the list firts and only one can happen at a time. try moving it to the top of the list.

(name here)
07-20-2008, 11:43 PM
How'd it go?

Paladin Sponge
07-31-2008, 02:37 AM
Sorry! Haven't tried it out yet. I've been a bit pressed for time of late, lots of training, work, and other tasks, so I haven't been able to implement the chances ;_;

torikamal
10-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Paladin, I'm really interested in the town attack mod you're working on. When you get it up and running, I'd love to try it out. That is one of the coolest aspects of the game, I think. I know you're working on a lot of stuff, but would it be possible for you to have the town attack stuff in a separate file from your other mods so we can try it out (when you're done)? I think a lot of us are really interested in it.

Cheers!