PDA

View Full Version : Available to buy!

Shadow
09-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Depths of Peril is now on sale. Go to the buy page here (http://www.soldak.com/content/blogcategory/29/66/).

If you haven't decided to buy it yet, you can read more about the game here (http://www.soldak.com/content/blogcategory/17/30/), download the demo (http://www.soldak.com/content/blogcategory/28/65/), or see what the press (http://www.soldak.com/content/blogcategory/16/31/) has said so far.

AnalogKid
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Very cool, congratulations Steven! I have decided to buy, but I have some questions about the email download option...

- Can I install the game on multiple computers (laptop + home PC, for example)?
- Can I order from one machine and install on another?
- Basically, what kind of protection/pain-in-the-ass are you including?

Shadow
09-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Technically, installing on multiple computers is against the EULA (although I should reword it so certain situations are ok), but yes it will work fine and yes you can order from one computer and install on another computer. The protection is just a normal security key and doesn't tie you to a specific computer.

Desticato
09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
I am unable, with multiple credit cards and ample funds, to complete an order through BMTMicro. I have successfully done so in the past, as I own most great indie games available via download only and they are quite often the 'merchant' of choice.

Is anyone else having and difficulties? I would like to remove my level 7 demo limitation as soon as possible. Yes, I am already a DoP junkie. Will you be opening a clinic for the addicted among us?

I will try again after this post. Please trust you've always had a guaranteed sale with me within minutes of me starting my first game. If I could have given you my money by now I already would have!

Shadow
09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
That's kind of annoying. I've just turned on the feature that it will email me when there are failed transactions. Is it giving you any kind of reason why it's failing? Are you using a free email address (hotmail, gmail, etc.)?

Desticato
09-05-2007, 08:16 PM
That's an excellent question, and something I caught on my third attempt. I changed my @gmail to @comcast and it still failed.

I went back through my records of games ordered from previous companies through BMT and I'd used the @gmail address in every instance, so it would have been curious if that had been the problem. It was certainly worth a try, though.

Unfortunately, the 'solution' prescribed in the e-mail is to try again or contact my financial institution. Would you like me to try once more so that you can see what sort of failure is occurring in the hopes that it's more descriptive than what I am receiving?

Thanks for the quick responses.

AnalogKid
09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Technically, installing on multiple computers is against the EULA (although I should reword it so certain situations are ok)
Guess I'll buy 2 then. :)

Shadow
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Sure. That way I have something that I can send to them and complain about.

Desticato
09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, that didn't work. Apparently, more than three attempts in a 24 hours period throws a red-flag somewhere in the card authorization system. I thought this meant that I could not use my personal contact information (e.g. name, e-mail address) more than three times, but I've since had another person try with a completely different account, name and e-mail address and they must be restricting purchases at the IP address level.

I'm not venting, just disappointed. I'll either have to wait 24 hours now or try and order it again from work tomorrow (sometime around my lunch-break, provided I can get to www.soldak.com from behind our proxy and draconian web-filtering software).

No one answers at BMTMicro at their 800 number, just so you know. Until tonight I would have sung their praises. I was just thinking how nice it is to be able to order software with confidence through a trusted, convenient mechanism like BMT when this happened. Apparently, I jinxed myself.

Thanks again for your assistance, above and beyond the call of duty. Know that I have nothing but goodwill as far as Soldak is concerned.

Shadow
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm starting to think I need to setup an account with another provider so if one doesn't work for someone they can just go to the other one.

You might want to talk to your credit card people and make sure it really isn't a problem on their end.

Desticato
09-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, I'm not sure how well I'd have slept tonight if I didn't get this resolved, so I had to get a bit crafty. After some IP redirection gymnastics--as well as having someone else order the game for me until I can figure out tomorrow what's going on with my financial institution--a successful purchase has been accomplished!

She is downloading it for me as I type this. I trust that it is acceptable for her to order it for me as a 'gift.' Since it's not a special occasion, I will likely have to swap 'favors' for it, but nothing immediately comes to mind that won't make being able to play tonight 100% worth it! (And, actually, she was more than happy to grab this for me. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up buying a copy, too. Aside from not being able to toggle the text for items strewn about the game--she grumbles about having to press the ALT key--she seems to have enjoyed the demo. Also, since I suspect she'll be reading this: "You are the BEST!" Of course, she knew that already.)

Thanks again for suffering through my difficulties with me. Your thoughts on having another payment account/system as a backup in instances such as these sounds like an excellent idea. In the end, since I was able to devise my own solution, it didn't end up being that big a deal, but I wouldn't want anyone else to potentially find themselves jumping through similar hoops to get their hands on this game.

I hope Depths of Peril ends up selling like hotcakes. You know, with butter and syrup on 'em! :)

Shadow
09-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Cool, I'm really glad that you managed to buy the game. Sorry that it was such a pain. :( I'm really hoping that this is an isolated case, but I think I am going to hook up a backup solution just in case.

Jeff Graw
09-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Just bought the game since I thought the demo was kind of cool.

I think the asking price of 30 dollars is a bit steep. 25 or 20 would probably be more appropriate. Unless you plan to do some big updates to the game down the road that is.

I'll tell you what I think after I have some time logged in on the full version.

Edit:

Well, that sucks. Demo worked perfectly but when I attempt to run the full version I get this:

"Error:Access violation at 0x6B8AA69B (tried to write to 0x003E0650), program terminated"

AnalogKid
09-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Just to add some positivity here (and to make others jealous), I bought it, downloaded it, installed it, and played it 'till 5AM with no problems other than sleeping through my alarm and missing work this morning.

Jeff Graw
09-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Just to add some positivity here (and to make others jealous), I bought it, downloaded it, installed it, and played it 'till 5AM with no problems other than sleeping through my alarm and missing work this morning.

Damn you, damn you to hell.

LDiCesare
09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
and played it 'till 5AM with no problems other than sleeping through my alarm and missing work this morning.
Hahah. I resisted. Went to sleep at 1:40AM only... because my wife would kill me if I didn't wake up in time to bring my daughter to school.