PDA

View Full Version : Party mod not working

gileyal
07-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi.

I would appreciate any help. I downloaded the mod that lets you add more characters to your party and saved it in the assets directory, however the game still won't let me add more than one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Gil

Delve
07-05-2008, 12:24 PM
If you downloaded the zip file I put together here (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4135&postcount=3), all you should need is to drop the zip file directly into your assets folder, while still zipped.

It seems Macs will automatically unzip things for you, so if you're on a Mac and just have an ordinary file then that's the problem. Convince your Mac to leave the file zipped up for you as it was originally packaged, there's an important folder structure contained in the zip file. I haven't got a clue how to do that though, sorry. Someone else here can probably help with that.

If you're on a PC, then I'm not sure what the problem might be. This is the same file I've been running with just fine.

Jude
07-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I believe it's just a preference you set in for the options in your browser whether things are automatically unstuffed/unzipped. I always turn off the auto unstuff/unzip for security reasons, anyway.

BTW, under OS X, you can zip something by clicking on File>Create Archive in the main desktop menu after selecting what you want to zip.

Jude

gileyal
07-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't think its a zipping issue (i'm on an XP system). The file is unzipped in the Asset library next to the original files.

Any ideas whould be grately appreciated.

Thanks!
Gil

Shadow
07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
You don't want the file unzipped.

It will work correctly also if it is unzipped except then you need to know where the files go exactly.

gileyal
07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Is the correct directory the asset directory (there are three other zip files in there)?.

The path is: C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\Assets

Seems simple enough but still won't work for me... no idea why.

Do I need to start a new character or game? The file is unzipped.

I just purchased the game today. Looks great!

Thanks!
Gil

Delve
07-05-2008, 06:51 PM
The file is unzipped in the Asset library next to the original files.

Delete the file you have, and download the zip file again. Put the zip file directly into your Assets directory. Do not unzip the file. Do not alter the zip file. Do not pass go, etc. :)

gileyal
07-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Did everything you said. Still no luck.

Do I need to start a new character? New world with this character? Will it only apply to new NPCs who are not part of my covenant?

Maybe it's just something wrong with my computer (or more likely, I'm missing something obvious).

Anyways, kudos on a spectacular game.

Thanks!
Gil

Paladin Sponge
07-06-2008, 11:30 AM
And that's why I hate you, Windows.

No, no, and no. What should happen is, you drop it in and the next time you load up DoP, you can have the entire covenant tag along.

I'm using a mac, so I don't think I can help ya. But, stick it out, the mod is worth it.

Le_poop
07-06-2008, 12:03 PM
nevermind i figured out the problem it was that i was using demo not full version

gileyal
07-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the help... I would love to have this solved some how. Maybe it has something specific to do with my computer. Will fool with this more as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again,
Gil

Delve
07-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Lets try something more manual.
Create a Database directory in your assets directory, then create a text file named partysizemod.gdb

You can technically call it whatever you want, as long as it starts with a lower case letter and has a gdb extension. The extension will be the tricky part, I don't know about OSX but by default Windows hides file extensions and won't let you change them.

Anyway, once you have the file put this in it.
GroupSizeModGameSystem overrides GameSystem
{
// Group sizes
MaxAdventureGroupSize 6
}

Just copy and paste it straight in, save the file, and load up the game. If you did everything correctly and OSX handles file extensions in what I would call a reasonable manner, and the moons of Endor are properly aligned then it'll work.

Now you can see why I'd rather just have the zip file work properly. At this point though I wonder if there's something Mac-specific that's at fault there.

Delve
07-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh crud. I just had a thought.

Shadow, how does DoP handle different OS EOL conventions? You'd think I'd have thought of this sooner, it's just become second nature at work. :)

Shadow
07-07-2008, 01:43 PM
I believe the game should handle both Windows and Mac EOL format just fine. Most of the files in the Mac game were built on my Windows box, so the Mac game can definitely read files made in Windows.

Mods should only work in the full version of the game btw (not the demo).

Also the only difference you will see with this mod is that you can ask multiple people to join your party. You won't see any difference until you do this.

gileyal
07-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I bought the first version. Simply copied the zip file into the asset directory. No luck. Do you think maybe I should reinstall?

The manual way explained above is way more than what I feel capable to do:)

Thanks,
Gil

Shadow
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't think a reinstall would change anything.

What's the full directory path of your assets directory? And what are the file names of all of the files in there?

gileyal
07-08-2008, 03:08 PM
C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\Assets

Files are:

assets001 (zip file)
assets002 (zip file)
assets003 (zip file)
mod_maxParty (zip file)

All files are unzipped.

Thanks!
Gil

Delve
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
You've labeled them zip files and say they're unzipped. Which is it?

gileyal
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Sorry. Wrong terminology. All of them are zipped.

Thanks,
Gil

Shadow
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Ok, that's all correct. So what happens if you ask the 2nd person to join your party?

cronodevir
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Lol, I am wondering if he even tried asking people to join yet.

gileyal
07-10-2008, 03:43 AM
It says my party has reached its maximum amount.

gileyal
07-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Lol, I am wondering if he even tried asking people to join yet.

I assume you've never made a careless mistake before? Hope next time you make one, no one pops up with an insulting comment like the one you just posted.

Anyways, if I caused anyone extra work due to my lack of concentration when writing the message I apologize. I really appreciate any time and effort anyone has put into trying to help me out.

Gil

Delve
07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
What version of the game are your running? It gives you the version number at the bottom of the screen on the main menu.

Shadow
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh, that's a good question Delve. The party mod uses the overrides command which won't work with anything before version 1.010.

Is this the problem? Are you running something before version 1.010?

Delve
07-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh, that's a good question Delve.

Thanks, I feel incredibly stupid for not having asked it sooner. :/

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Actually, i did make a careless mistake before..i spent an hour trying to figure out why my new skill didn't work..when actually it did work..it just got moved down two levels on the skill tree.

Delve
07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
And I spent an hour troubleshooting that for you :P

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
It seems to move randomly every time the file is edited...now..Uberquake is the first top skill [top of the screen] on my Earth & Air tab.

Shadow, can you explain why my skills move around when I mod them?

Delve
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Don't take over someone else's thread. Post that here (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819). Shadow reads most, if not every post on here.

gileyal
07-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Thank you guys! The problem was in fact the version I was running which was 1.009. I downloaded the latest patch and now it works great.

I just bought the game a few days ago so I assumed the version I downloaded was the latest.

Thanks again for the time spent on this thread and all the help. Really enjoying your excellent game!

Gil

Shadow
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Great, I'm glad we finally figured out the problem (and by we I mean Delve).

I do update the version that is available for purchase every once in a while. It takes a while so I don't usually do it for every patch.