PDA

View Full Version : The problem of advertising

Shadow
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Some games are going to a model that is free to the user, but hosts advertisements to pay for the reoccurring bills and the development cost. Many users think this is great, and it is nice on the surface, but there's a problem. What? There's a problem with getting to play games for free?

The problem is that now the developer is working directly for the advertisers and not the gamers. Sure, without gamers you can't sell your advertising, but you are getting all of your money from your advertisers. Who do you think has most of the power here? If the advertiser tells you to do one thing and the gamer says to do another, which one do you think most developers are going to listen to? Personally I would say listening to your customers is the smart thing to do for the long term health of your company, but since when do people or companies do what is smart for the long term?

Everyone does remember a firing at a popular gaming site recently, supposedly, at the demand of an advertiser, right?

Anyways, at a minimum advertising splits a developers loyalties which can be a bad thing for gamers.

ShaggyMoose
07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
This is not new. Developers have always been under pressure from publishers, who in turn are pressuring and being pressured by advertisers and reviewers. I don't think its really going to change the quick buck vs. commitment to the consumer ratio we are already seeing. I mean, its already pretty bad. Ideally, all development would be self funded (eg. id), but that's just idealism.

Delve
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Personally I would say listening to your customers is the smart thing to do for the long term health of your company...

Which is exactly what will happen. The question is who they view as their customers. The people that pay them, or the consumers (God I hate that word) that play their games.

Which isn't to say that they'll survive for listening to whoever they view as customers. Customers can be wrong as often as anyone else, half the time they don't even know what they want in any concrete terms. Players want something 'fun' and 'cool.' Advertisers want something that will bring them sales, and my guess is nearly as good as thiers as to what that might actually be.

StrawberryJam8
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
I've seen some nice few free games around that still stick to putting customer first, and marketing initiatives second. Games like Conquer Online and Eudemons are still very good to try out.

And besides even if a particular game may be paid or have advertising ties, many gamers still work around that issue with patches, cracks, etc.

GaiaThanatos
07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/role_strategy/depthsofperil.html

Its on the main apple gamesite, wooo! ^_^

Thats good juju for advertising :p