PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake spell is now broken :(

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, i decided as my first mod, i would make the earthquake spell....a wee bit more powerful. I dubbed it the Uberquake...

This is the change i made to assests001.zip and assest003.zip, skills.gdb

SkillEarthquakePerLevel
{
Base BaseSkillPerLevel

MinDamage 8
MaxDamage 12

Power 6
}

SkillEarthquake
{
Base BaseSkillOffenseArea

BaseName "Uberquake"

TextureName Textures/Icons/Skills/earthquake01.tga

Power 60

CastingAnimation startEarthquake
Animation castEarthquake

CastTime 0.1

MinDamage 100
MaxDamage 300
DamageType Magic

MinRange 0
MaxRange 800

AllEnemies 1
AlwaysWorks 1

Interrupt 1

AreaEffect Models/Effects/earthquake.mdl
EffectTime 2.0

PerLevel SkillEarthquakePerLevel

BaseCost 4
}

And now..i no longer have the earthquake or "uberquake" skill..my skill book rearranged itself...now i only have counter spell on the bottom level of my earth and air tab... :( What did i miss?

Also, does anyone have the original skills.gdp for each assest .zip? because i actually forgot to backup that txt file.. :(

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Download the SDK and read the database section, particularly the bit about overrides. :)

Also, don't edit the asset zips. That's asking for trouble. Create loose files for testing with, then package them up as mod zips.

The SDK documents have all the info you should need to do that.

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Actually..i did read the sdk stuff on database...but....didn't under stand anything it said about overriddes..so i opted to just change a few numbers and yes i made my own zip...that's when it broke...then i decided to delete the zip i made, and modify the assests.zips directly..still broken. And i forgot to backup the skills.gdp

My zip was uberquake.zip --> database [folder] ---> skills.gdp

Exactly how it was in assests001.zip

I did it exactly like the groupSizeMod.zip was done..only i changed a different text file...

can anyone paste me the original two earthquake entries? :D

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think you can use the same filename. That confuses the system.
What didn't you understand about the override system? Maybe I can explain it for you.

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
It should be kosher to post the original entries. Shadow can correct me and I'll take it down if I'm wrong.
SkillEarthquakePerLevel
{
Base BaseSkillPerLevel

MinDamage 4
MaxDamage 8

Power 3
}

SkillEarthquake
{

BaseName $$Earthquake$$

Power 20

Animation castEarthquake

CastTime 1.0

MinDamage 10
MaxDamage 30
DamageType Magic

MinRange 0
MaxRange 400

AllEnemies 1
AlwaysWorks 1

Interrupt 1

EffectTime 2.0

BaseCost 8
}

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't think you can use the same filename. That confuses the system.
What didn't you understand about the override system? Maybe I can explain it for you.

Well, i wasn't sure if i just jam the overide into the original files or what...but i figured it out [looked at another mod]

But still, I changed only numbers...how does this have any baring on the fact that the skill vanished? i only changed the ingame name, the power, the range, the damage, and the cast time. I am guessing i used a value too high or low for one of the entries.

Will reinstalling mess with my saves in any way? and if i do reinstall..will my mage have the original skill back...and i will be able to try again?

i'm suprised i messed up..ive been modding diablo 2 for years..and its exactly the same as modding for DoP..despite a few minor differences.

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Reinstalling shouldn't affect your save files, but it never hurts to copy your 'User' directory. Before modding actually, in case you accidentally corrupt your character data.

Reinstalling should give you the original skill back, which means your mage would have his stuff back the way it should be.

I think your problem is that you named the file the same, so the system got confused and threw out both of them. Maybe. At any rate, it sounds like no skills were loaded into the database at all; that would explain your skill tabs being empty. I'm not sure what you messed up when editing the original assets, but you don't need nor should you mess with those anyway. You're probably best off reinstalling to get the original files back (and re-patching if necessary) and starting your mod over using the override system which will make your mod much smaller and more manageable.

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Ok, so i got everything working fine and back to normal..then i create a folder called database and a skills.gdp file..in the file i put:

SkillUberquakePerLevel overrides SkillEarthquakePerLevel
{
Base BaseSkillPerLevel

MinDamage 8
MaxDamage 12

Power 6
}

SkillUberquake overrides SkillEarthquake
{

BaseName "Uberquake"

Power 60

Animation castEarthquake

CastTime 0.1

MinDamage 100
MaxDamage 300
DamageType Magic

MinRange 0
MaxRange 800

AllEnemies 1
AlwaysWorks 1

Interrupt 1

EffectTime 2.0

BaseCost 4
}

My skill book is now completely empty.. o.O

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
You're still using the same filename. You can't do that.

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Also, the override system is designed so that you don't have to put all the lines in your override object, just the ones that you're changing.

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 02:38 PM
AHHH...i see, i need to change the .gdp file name...well, just so happens i just tried it..and..we are back to square one....i have ALL my skills, except Earthquake/Uberquake... :(

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 02:52 PM
SkillUberquakePerLevel overrides SkillEarthquakePerLevel
{

MinDamage 8
MaxDamage 12

Power 6
}

SkillUberquake overrides SkillEarthquake
{

BaseName "Uberquake"

Power 60

CastTime 0.1

MinDamage 100
MaxDamage 300

MaxRange 800

BaseCost 4
}

This doesn't work either. It has to be something in this txt file....If i remove my mod folder...everything works fine.

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I wonder if you need to rewrite the skilltree as well. I'm not real clear on whether the overrides actually create a new entry with a different internal name or simply change the values in the existing entry.
Try extracting skilltree.gdb from assets003 (or 001 if it's not in 003) to your mod folder. Open it up and change the SkillEarthquake line to SkillUberquake and see what happens.

cronodevir
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Correction..never mind. It works! the skill was moved to a different spot on the tab is all.

Delve
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Ah, then ignore my last post. :P I wonder why the skill moved though. That's interesting.

Shadow
07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
The position on the tab is controlled by the starting skill point cost.