PDA

View Full Version : Unique Monsters

Thrugg
09-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok, so I'm not sure if I need to suck it up and die a few (dozen) more times, but I was playing earlier and was more or less insta-killed by one of the uniques.

I'm level 7ish, it was a unique lvl 6 I think (one of the OwlBears?).

The fight went sorta like this, I run up, he wails on me for 3-4 hits (2 seconds?) and I fall down dead. In the stunned silence that followed, I looked at some of the cute icons under his health bar, which included 150-200% extra fire damage among other things. I was getting hit for 40-60 damage, which doesnt take much to quickly end my life.

Options? As it is, I'll just give up on him and skip that area. Are the powers given to unique's random for each game? This was the first monster I've seen that was really dangerous on it's own, and it was *way* off the chart as a melee character.

-Thrugg cranks the danger dial to 11
________
Hawaii Medical Marijuana (http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/)

Shadow
09-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Well if it was a unique or legendary monster then the special enhancements are the same each time. There are some uniques that are much harder than others, so you might have found one of the harder ones :)

If it was a champion or an elite monster however then the enhancements are random each time. Usually these are easier but every once in a while you get a really nasty combination.

As for your particular monster, if you really want to kill him you could try to buy a fire resistance potion at a vendor to try to resist some of that damage. You can also put up a gate and use hit and run tactics.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Thrugg.

Thrugg
09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Ah hah, ok well I'll keep that in mind for the future then. I've been sort of debating between playing my priest (for whom kiting melee bosses is no problem) and my rogue (who kills most things 3x as fast as my priest).

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure I take a good look at unique/boss powers from now on.

-Thrugg
________
BLOWJOB TUBE (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/13/blowjob/videos/1)

AnalogKid
09-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I have been meaning to mention something about this too. I notice 2 issues that are not to my liking/expectations (i.e. they're matters of balance, and I'll just provide my input)

- There seems to be far more champion/elite monsters relative to normal monsters than I expect. Between lvl 7 and 10, I haven't seen even a single "group" of monsters that didn't have 2 or more champion/elites among them.

- The champion/elite monsters seem way too powerful relative to normal monsters. I understand they're randomized, but in most cases a level x champion/elite is harder than a level x+5 normal monster. The gap just seems awefully large to me.

Vas
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
elite / champion monsters are tougher but also got higher chance to drop better loot. Also it always depends on the situation how 'tough' a monster is for a player .. a warrior will laugh at a monster with huge fire resist .. while for fire mage it will take a while to kill it.. or - the cold mage isn't really impressed by the deadly aim ench. of a monster where a warrior could get in need of pots/ portal fast etc and so on..

Shadow
09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
You also get more xp from champions and elites.

The other thing you might be seeing is that there are a variety of situations where champion/elite/unique monsters spawn more often. Off the top of my head this happens in caves/dungeons, during town attacks, and at night.

AnalogKid
09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
In addition to specific difficulties (i.e. fire resist vs. fire mage), though, champions/uniques have beaucoup hitpoints and much more damaging attacks. This, more than anything I think, makes them so much more difficult for everyone.

I look forward to the better loot, but often I just want to run across an area that's way below my level, but the champs/elites keep jumping in my way and kicking my ass.

Anyway, it's nothing I won't get used to and learn to expect, it's just very different and I thought it was worth pointing out (especially in the # of champs/elites) in case you weren't aware they were such an issue.

ShaggyMoose
12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
I had the same kind of problem, but in this case the unique was healing faster than I could hurt it. I had to level up a few times then come back. Even then it still took about ten minutes of grinding away till the damn thing decided to die!

colo
12-29-2007, 12:19 AM
that unique must have a decent regen ability like 1.5% or something. its tough to take down uniques with this ability you need to hit them continously to counter the regen. a strategy that i use is take out first all uniques with no regen then take on the one with regen. that should be a 2-on-1 fight or if you're unlucky a 2-on-2 fight. then hit it with status effect or something that does damage continously so while you heal at lifestone the unique gets damage and its regen would be countered

Josia
12-29-2007, 01:56 AM
I had the same kind of problem, but in this case the unique was healing faster than I could hurt it. I had to level up a few times then come back. Even then it still took about ten minutes of grinding away till the damn thing decided to die!

Make sure you take a high DPS recruit with you as well to help. Even at 1.5% regen if I'm 2-on-1 with my top Mage recruit there's not much that doesn't lose HP at a pretty consistent rate.

(name here)
12-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I fought a unique who had a group that fell in less than a minute, then eventually fell to two characters 3 levels higher than it. blasted thing was UNSTOPPABLE.

FloodSpectre
01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
My level 7 Rogue is having a hell of a time with Turen too. The best she can do is get him down to about 1/8 of his health, but by that point there are a dozen or more enemies surrounding him because of a combination of his summoned dead and the spawning of random monsters in the area. It makes any kind of hit-and-run tactic useless. I've had to save and load a few times just to clear out the horde and try again. He's killed me ten times now...

ShaggyMoose
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Another thing I have found is that unique or champion scavangers can be dangerous. If you don't notice them at first and they get a chance to eat some corpses, you can have something the size of Godzilla stamping around in no time. One of them murdered me over and over again for an hour as I tried to retrieve the soul spheres that I was leaving all over the place.:mad:

Kruztee
01-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Another thing I have found is that unique or champion scavangers can be dangerous. If you don't notice them at first and they get a chance to eat some corpses, you can have something the size of Godzilla stamping around in no time. One of them murdered me over and over again for an hour as I tried to retrieve the soul spheres that I was leaving all over the place.:mad:

Yep definately.

Some other really hard champ/elites are Dimentional Gates; they keep gaining hitpoints for some reason, I think it's when I nearby enemy is killed (but I'm not 100% sure).

Also I find myself dying a lot in areas with lots of Plaguebringers. If a few Plaguebringer Lava are spawned as champs/elites it's big trouble. Easy to get surrounded and those guys have a knack at getting critical hits in.

Champ/elite Sentinels can hit really hard too. I have often seen more than half my priests life taken away in one hit. Luckily these guys have a slow attack speed and you can use hit and run tactics fairly well.

ShaggyMoose
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, it can be a real pain when a plague bringer or amorph spawns an elite. Plague bringers especially are a huge distraction; they just keep spawning those little face hugger buggers constantly!

Shadow
01-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Dimensional gates gain health, armor, and defense whenever something within it's range dies (Dimensional Gate desc (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Monsters.html#DimensionalGate)).

StealthBunny
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Dimensional gates gain health, armor, and defense whenever something within it's range dies (Dimensional Gate desc (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Monsters.html#DimensionalGate)).

Oh, now that's just.... evil! :eek:

Delve
01-11-2008, 05:36 PM
It's even better when they start spawning champion plaguebringers.

Or appear near bosses.

(name here)
01-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Dimensional gates gain health, armor, and defense whenever something within it's range dies (Dimensional Gate desc (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Monsters.html#DimensionalGate)). Heh, thought so. i like to kill them first because of that.

Ir0nFist
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
My level 7 Rogue is having a hell of a time with Turen too. The best she can do is get him down to about 1/8 of his health, but by that point there are a dozen or more enemies surrounding him because of a combination of his summoned dead and the spawning of random monsters in the area. It makes any kind of hit-and-run tactic useless. I've had to save and load a few times just to clear out the horde and try again. He's killed me ten times now...

Yeah I had the same problem with my 8/9 lvl priest. I always cleared as much as I could in the area and then engaged Turen with my warrior henchman. The warrior was able to kill him when supported by my intensive healing but as you said the biggest problem were the zombies :eek:. I remember my fights with him lasted about 10 minutes at least and everytime I almost managed to kill him (while running for my life in the last moments of course), but he was the victorious one eventually - I could not avoid taking damage from the zombies anymore, else my warrior would have died and reaching Turen would be impossible then unless clearing all the zombies while Turen would have easily got his hit points back :cool:.
I was unable to kill him in the end so I lvled up and then I laughed at his face:p.

Anyway, Turen was nothing compared to legendary changeling Taris, whom I met later (about lvl 17 I think) :mad:. 2 or 3, maybe 4, hits and I was dead. With my healing skills it took a bit longer to kill me but I was only able to buy myself seconds. The one Taris I encountered was the worst monster of them all. He had incredible piercing, I suspect, as all pieces of my armor were highly efficient and his skills were actually melee. Also incredible attack speed...

torikamal
04-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Don't underestimate the power of the food/healing potion combo. Go into a fight with food already running through ya. For bosses that do more damage than I can realistically take, I take along a ranged recruit (usually a priest), I aggro the boss and just run around in to not get hit and have my recruit eventually kill it. Lame, but you can the regenerating stuff that way, too.

Delve
04-13-2008, 04:18 AM
You should always have a high value poison bearing weapon on you. Wether it's in your second weapons slot, or just inventory. It may be some now worthless trinket you haven't used in 5 levels, but the poison effect will still stack onto the boss and work to counteract regen. I think fire-damage weapons may do this too, but I'm not certain.

I'm also not sure about stacking restrictions for weapon poison either. I Imagine it won't stack with Viper Venom, but I haven't tested it or tried to dig that out of the assets yet.

(name here)
04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
i find that using the Gut skill followed by as much pounding as i can manage drops them in a couple runs. set up a teleporter to go home when your HPs get too low.

I'm also not sure about stacking restrictions for weapon poison either. I Imagine it won't stack with Viper Venom, but I haven't tested it or tried to dig that out of the assets yet.

it stacks with everything but other weapon posion, and it might stack with that.

Ir0nFist
04-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Don't underestimate the power of the food/healing potion combo. Go into a fight with food already running through ya. For bosses that do more damage than I can realistically take, I take along a ranged recruit (usually a priest), I aggro the boss and just run around in to not get hit and have my recruit eventually kill it. Lame, but you can the regenerating stuff that way, too.
I was using the same tactic. Having the recruit kill the bosses when intensively healed by myself. Often it was not enough though.
As these deadly occurencies were rather rare I didn't need the healing potions much.
Well I lvled up nearly to lvl 40. With the skill points in lesser healing, elemental resistances, the sort of "thorns aura" spell (35% of the damage back to the attacker currently, and will increase), mace mastery, crushing blow etc. etc I can do almost as much damage as my Rogue recruit. It's way better now even when playing the champions world difficulty.
I also discovered that Rogues are much better than warriors actually. The increased physical damage just rocks + high defense...
Usually I don't encounter a foe not to be killed for the first attempt now. If I do, then as ppl said here, create portal home and that's doing the job.

Boaal
06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Ok, I'm playing the Demo, using a Mac, waiting for th full game to be released, will definatly get it - so far it's been a lot of fun, love the random events and dynamic world, i love that in every game but I don't know how differant the demo is in comparison to the full game on this front. Either ay I;m the same level as you are.

So far I've had no great trouble with unique mobs. The first couple of time Karn almost flattened me and my rogue assistant, poisened her and she died after I ran for it, barely scratced him. So I came back a couple of level later and with the newfound abilities and items I had little difficulty in dispatching him. I also ran into a level 4 unique direwolf, who almost killed me and my rogue assistant . It possible that alot of damage was done by the large amount of mobs grouping around us too - but mainly we can dispatch crowds of them at level 7 with no real hassel, so Ilm assuming the main damge was done by the direwolf. I don't even notice the difficulty modifiers and such on any of the champion mobs and such, I just steamroller over them....

Delve
06-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I always wipe out the 'yard trash' mobs before I go after any uniques or bosses. This includes any trash spawned by the big guys. Elites can put up a fight, champs are generally classed with the yard trash.

The reasoning there is
1) Yard trash can still stun you (styracs and kodiacs), spawn more trash (plaguebearers and gates), brutalize you if given enough time (sentinels), provide bonuses to the whole lot (totems, torva, etc), revive already dead yard trash including champs and elites (liches), or become stronger than a boss (scavengers).

2) Yard trash dies in a couple of hits, thus eliminating the danger from 1.

3) Uniques (and some bosses I believe) often seem to have horribly painful damage shields. More often than champs and elites which rarely have a shield stronger than first or second level. Which means you really don't want anything else picking on you while you get brutalized by both the shield and the mob's attacks.

If you just sit around banging on the big guy, which is probably going to take a large number of hits to kill, then point 1 is going to slit your throat while you're not looking. Even just 3 mobs doing just a few points of damage for the length of time it takes to wipe out a boss can add up to a big fat soul crystal.

An exception here is when I'm playing with my priest. Then I just run around in circles kiting the crowd while my recruit whacks at the big guy. As long as I don't get overtaken I can usually keep us both standing at least long enough to kill the big guy. In this situation the recruit is my damage potential, and I don't really have much control over him. He usually goes for the buffest baddie on the field. As long as I heal him though I'll end up with enough aggro to keep the crowd on me instead.

(name here)
06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
i tend to go straight for the boss and kill the yard trash afterwards, because yard trash is not worth blowing 1000+ points of damage i could hit the boss with instead. honestly, yard trash is near harmless. that is why it's yard trash. if it could deal double-digit damage then i might spam AOE until it drops

Delve
06-03-2008, 07:43 PM
If it's just a few orcs or skeletons or something I might do that. Anything with a special ability though has to go.

Heaven forbid you leave a spectre around draining your power while you try to kill Turen.

Another benefit for rogues and warriors is the buildup of power while you cleanup the trash. Mages and priests have a reversed effect there, of course.

Spellbound
06-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Usually I play with conavants 20 or 25 lvls above me, so when i get stuck on a group or hard monster, i just call in my lil 40 warrior friend :D

sss4r
07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
my strategy for a lvl 64 mage when battling a group of unique monsters is to party with a warrior who has a 490 DPS, and I try to stay out of the way :) I have the anti-hate passive skill so they don't seem too interested in me no matter how much I pummel them with my fiery bolts (lvl 25 fire bolt and lvl 15 fire mastery). But when I am noticed, it can be dangerous as just one successful hit and I become a soulstone. So sometimes I run :) Strike them from a distance--whatever it takes to win!

This is random, but I swear it seems like every time I use a magic-find potion, I die within seconds grrrrr!

sss4r
07-21-2008, 03:41 PM
You should always have a high value poison bearing weapon on you. Wether it's in your second weapons slot, or just inventory. It may be some now worthless trinket you haven't used in 5 levels, but the poison effect will still stack onto the boss and work to counteract regen. I think fire-damage weapons may do this too, but I'm not certain.

wait--are you saying that i can get the magical benefits of a second staff in my other weapon slot even though it is not actively used? not sure if i read that correctly, but that's important if true!

GaiaThanatos
07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
That would be either a bug, or a nifty trick to ghost dual-wielding!

Either way, am SO testing this XD

Delve
07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Nononono. :) I wish.
I meant, you whip out with the poisoned weapon and get the regen boss poisoned. Then swap back to your usual weapon until you need to reapply the poison. That little bit of extra poison damage will help counteract the regen effect. Ditto for burning damage.