PDA

View Full Version : For the mac modding challenged (Like me!)

Paladin Sponge
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I got PM'd regarding mac modding. He couldn't get the "drop zipped file into assets folder" thing to work. Unfortunately, neither can I. I told him how I do it. It's not pretty, but it works.

Maybe those of you with similar troubles can make use of this too.

"Nah, it's not you. I've got the same kind of background and it's just... different... than most games. But definitely doable. The way I do it is different than the recommended method, but it'll let you mod things to your tastes. It'll just be much harder to share your work with others.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're a mac user, right? Here's what I did:

1. Go into your assets folder. There should be 3 zip files, assets 001, assets 002, and assets 003.

2. Unzip assets 003.

3. Make a folder in the assets directory (where all the zipped files are located). it must be named "database". Exactly what's in the quotes. Verbatim. Nothing else works.

4. Go into the unzipped files from assets 003. Find "systems.gdb" under the database subdirectory.

5. Copy this file and past it into the new "database" folder you made.

6. Once you've placed it in your newly created "database" folder, open it up and find the line of text that says MaxPartySize or something very similar to that. It'll say, "2". Change that to 6, or whatever you want. Save it and you're good to go.

---

You can also just change the version number at the top of the file to test and see if you've done it right. My current version is 2. >.>

Using the above method, you can do quite a bit. I've got the systems, quests, covenants, and world files just sitting there loosely. No need to zip it up. Just find the lines and change the numbers around. With some tinkering, you should be fairly satisfied with the results.

---

As for the character editor, a bit more problematic. I used a hex editor for it. Kinda time-consuming, but there's a few calculators out there which will aid you in changing up things like attributes, gold, bag sizes, etc.

Hope that helps. If it's not working for you, just ask. I'll be happy to try and give more precise instructions. As for the hex editing thing, it's not my forte, but I managed to stumble through it enough to change up my attributes and give all my priests the hardiness blessing. Very helpful."

Delve
07-12-2008, 07:08 PM
If you do it that way (you're making what are called 'loose files') you won't be able to apply any official patches to your install.

Well, technically you will. But your mod will conflict and it'll be a monstrous hassle.

Just check that you've got version 1.10 installed. That's the only requirement for using mods that take advantage of the override feature. Even if the zip file unpacks in the asset directory, if the internal file structure is maintained then the mod will still work.

billiam
07-12-2008, 11:31 PM
I tried too-- I have version 1.011, no luck. Do I just zip the mod and put it in the directory on its own or in one of the archives?

Delve
07-13-2008, 02:35 PM
It depends on how the mod is structured.
All the mods I've released simply need to be placed in the assets folder, still zipped up just like they were downloaded. That's also, I believe, how all the official mods (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Mods.html) from Soldak are structured as well, though I haven't looked at all of them personally to say for sure.

billiam
07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
The Official party mod does not come zipped. I, however, zipped it, and still no dice. Perhaps it works fine for pc users, but not for imac user such as myself.

Delve, if you have mac mods that work just by dropping them in, I would love to see them, as modding for my mac seems to be out of my grasp for now.

Jude
07-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to come zipped:
http://www.soldak.com/files/dopMods/mod_maxParty.zip

Jude

Delve
07-13-2008, 06:04 PM
The Official party mod does not come zipped. I, however, zipped it, and still no dice. Perhaps it works fine for pc users, but not for imac user such as myself.

Delve, if you have mac mods that work just by dropping them in, I would love to see them, as modding for my mac seems to be out of my grasp for now.

Your Mac is unzipping it for you without your permission (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4326&postcount=3). Tell it to stop. You might poke around the forum some. I seem to recall there being several threads about modding, both Mac and PC.

Jude
07-13-2008, 06:12 PM
It might also be a problem with Stuffit Expander's preferences being set to expand and delete the stuffed/zipped file. Check to see if you have Stuffit installed and change the preferences so it doesn't delete the zip file.

Also, have you done a search on your Mac for the original zipped file:
mod_maxParty.zip
?
Perhaps it's still in a download folder or your documents folder or somewhere else you wouldn't think to look for it.

Jude

billiam
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I will check my stuffit preferences--though other zipped documents appearin my download screen as zipped. Also, shouldn't rezipping solve the poroblem, if that were the problem?

GaiaThanatos
07-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Minor issue with first post.

Going by directions, we now have 2 folders named database in assets 3.
The new database folder only has the systems.gdb in it.

Now, how do we make it clear to the game to accept the smudgery we do in the new file, rather then the official original database folder file.

Because so far, Regardless of what i am changing in that "play" file, game remains unchanged,
I'm contemplating toying with the original file directly rather then having the backup.

Pro's and cons of said suggestion would be appreciated.

billiam
07-14-2008, 03:09 AM
I dld it with aol and not safari, and was able to get the zip file that way. It worked, which is weird since when I rezipped it, it didn't.

Delve
07-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Billiam,
When you re-zipped the file you probably didn't have the folder structure in the zip file that you needed. It's not the simplest thing to describe, but the zip file has to retain the Database folder within the zip file.

I don't have a clue what the Mac's compression software looks like so I can't describe it visually; I can only describe it logically which is often difficult to grok without visual aids.

GT,
Always, always, always use modular zip files for long-term modding. It's just simpler that way. Once you figure out how to do it at least. See my list of best practices. But you asked for pros and cons. It's a complicated enough description that I'm going to post it in a new thread so I can find it easier when someone asks the question again in a week. I've posted it here (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830).

GaiaThanatos
07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
A grand list of "HOW TO MOD" needs to be tagged at the top of the page with instructions on everything and what they do :P

Perhaps with a hint of How to use a mac intel added.

Still, will do ^_^, domo arigato.:D

Delve
07-14-2008, 08:04 AM
A grand list of "HOW TO MOD" needs to be tagged at the top of the page with instructions on everything and what they do :P

Perhaps with a hint of How to use a mac intel added.

Good idea. Glad you could volunteer. I'll expect ship-worthy product in three days.