PDA

View Full Version : Rogues and Deathblow

Pseudonym
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I suspect Deathblow has problems. It does not always set off the poison cloud, even when it is the last hit. I suspect the victims may be dying of poison (from other effects) before it kicks in, though I think I've seen it happen when no poison is about. Without that cloud, Deathblow is an inferior skill. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, Deathblow has a "wind-up" animation that takes a very long time to resolve (as compared to other attacks). This makes it miss. Often. If the wind-up is simply an asthetic decision, perhaps it should be shortened in duration.

(name here)
07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
1. i would think it's possible someone else sneaks in the kill

2. that's probably intended to slow down it's hit rate

Pseudonym
07-24-2008, 01:35 PM
It's happened solo. Several times. And I got rid of the poison weapon. No extra damage from special sources, but still, no poison cloud. (To be sure, I max momentum, attack alone, and do nothing but swing deathblows.)

Shadow
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Your normal melee swings still happen even if you don't see the animations. So it is possible that a normal swing sneaks in and steals the kill.

Pseudonym
07-26-2008, 11:05 AM
If normal melee is the culprit -- and it likely is -- then I am afraid that Deathblow is completely useless and needs a patch. It's simply far too inferior to Lethal Blow, and the poison damage doesn't track well enough with level to justify blowing 20 momentum on a slow strike that is completley unconrollable by the player. I had already dropped the skill before the above post and my character immediately became more effective.

Some improvements could include giving the target NPC a debuff or status effect that makes the poison cloud generate no matter what kills him in the next few seconds. Or take out the cloud entirely and make it a momentum reward (which will track with level); if Deathblow became a net momentum positive if it is used shortly before a victim dies, that would justify its high skill cost.

Anyway, it's a minor point. Useless skills can be ignored, thanks to the option to sell them. Thanks for the info on mechanics.