PDA

View Full Version : Hits and Rescues

Pseudonym
07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Simply put: I'm supposed to kill Nematoda. (The quest-giving language could be made a little less terse, btw:"X killed my sister. Kill X" is a bit gruff, even for a barbarian.) I can't find Nematoda. I've slaughtered everything on the board where he's supposed to be. Many times. For hours. Am I just tremendously unlucky or is it possible that it's bugged?

And perhaps a tracking ability of some sort could be considered. My eyes are strained from teasing out information from the minimap.

Finally, has anyone had problems with rescues when multiple encounters are stacked together? Some rescues have been literally impossible because multiple uniques are right next to the victim. The victim will be dead before he is visible on the screen. That can't be a feature.

krozman
07-23-2008, 11:57 PM
You can heal the person you're supposed to rescue by putting a potion on him while you kill the monsters. If you have uniques, you must console yourself into knowing that it was really a trap intended to kill you, and should you survive, the quest givers will cry.

Delve
07-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Is Nematoda a worm-type? Those are always a pain to track down.

(name here)
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
If he is a worm type, hold down control while looking around. also, is the guy who gave you that quest still alive? if he died, the target vanishes.

Shadow
07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes, Nematoda is one of the unique lurkers. They can be tricky to track down.

Delve
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Like (name here) said, holding down the CTRL key will show you where the lurkers are, um, lurking when they're on the screen.

They may still be rather stubborn about popping up above ground, but at least you'll know where he's hiding and if you stomp around enough he'll eventually show himself.

Pseudonym
07-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I knew he was a worm-type. However, I didn't, at the time, realize that they could be completely invisible. Plus, I'm running around stealthed.

(And I already know how to heal NPCs. It is, however, impossible to heal an NPC not in your party that is not on the screen, so the point remains.)

And I'm aware that the death of the quest-giver kills the target as well.

It has happened again on my next world, btw. This time with an elemental -- who cannot become hidden. There's two members of the enemy party that I cannot find. I have to resort to turning stealth off to draw NPCs in. (My teammate is also stealthed.)

A feature that might be useful: if there were a way to return fog of war to a zone, it could help in searching it. The fog is "proof" that you've been in the area before.