PDA

View Full Version : Armor formula

Shadow
09-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok, I said I would try to post some internal forumals before we shipped which didn't quite happen but they are still coming. The first one is on armor and can be read here (http://www.soldak.com/content/view/166/70/).

I'll post more and more of these as I can. If I'm leaving anything out or the format is bad or anything just speak up and I'll see what I can do.

AnalogKid
09-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Looks good, thanks! I didn't even know armor absorbed fixed damage amounts because it's reported as % (no doubt taking everything into account and simplifying for normal people that don't care so much about mechanics :p).

Can't wait for more!

Thrugg
09-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Hmmm!! Ok, so I'm reading this right, lets play with the numbers just for grins.

As a level 10 priest, I've got ~80 armor I think. Against monsters that dont have armor piercing, I'll be able to absorb 2-4 damage, ya? I think it currently lists my absorbtion % as ~20-25%, making the assumption that monsters my level hit on average for 12-16ish damage?

I guess it just seems like an awfully low estimate of enemy damage, they hurt so much! =) But for average monsters that's probably fairly good, the ones that stand out most clearly in my mind are usually not "normal" monsters, it's the big beasts that stomp me for 30-40+ in a single hit.

One last thing, armor is accounted for as one mass, instead of hitting a particular part of your body, correct? Wearing a floppy cloth hat, while wearing full platemail otherwise wont make me susceptible to giant crits on my head?

Thanks for the info!
-Thrugg
________
CANCER - LUNG ADVICE (http://www.health-forums.org/cancer-lung/)

Shadow
09-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, the number that is reported to you in the game when you highlight your armor value is an estimated % based on how much damage an average monster of your level does and what your specific armor value is.

So yes it is a simplified estimate.

Thrugg
09-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Feature request! =) Could we have the absorption range listed also, pretty please?

Ie: hovering over the armor value would list "25% absorbtion: 3-6 damage".

Which begs the question, floaty damage numbers shown above the character are actual damage taken, correct - after armor/resistance reduction?

Thanks!
-Thrugg
________
WELLBUTRIN SETTLEMENT INFORMATION (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Shadow
09-07-2007, 06:57 PM
As a level 10 priest, I've got ~80 armor I think. Against monsters that dont have armor piercing, I'll be able to absorb 2-4 damage, ya? I think it currently lists my absorbtion % as ~20-25%, making the assumption that monsters my level hit on average for 12-16ish damage?

I guess it just seems like an awfully low estimate of enemy damage, they hurt so much! =) But for average monsters that's probably fairly good, the ones that stand out most clearly in my mind are usually not "normal" monsters, it's the big beasts that stomp me for 30-40+ in a single hit.

Off hand I calculate 6 - 16 for an average level 10 monster hit. Yeah, this doesn't take into account harder monster types like champions which have an automatic damage boost and many times have other damage enhancements.

One last thing, armor is accounted for as one mass, instead of hitting a particular part of your body, correct? Wearing a floppy cloth hat, while wearing full platemail otherwise wont make me susceptible to giant crits on my head?

That is correct. It is not separated into body parts, so you can safely wear a cloth hat if the magic bonuses are more important to you then the armor difference.

Feature request! =) Could we have the absorption range listed also, pretty please?

Ie: hovering over the armor value would list "25% absorbtion: 3-6 damage".

I can probably add something like this fairly easily.

Which begs the question, floaty damage numbers shown above the character are actual damage taken, correct - after armor/resistance reduction?

The floaty damage numbers are the final damage actually taken by the character after all modifiers and reductions.