PDA

View Full Version : Improved The Mist ending

Shadow
08-01-2008, 11:40 AM
If you haven't watched the movie The Mist, based on a Stephen King novella, and don't want to read spoilers (especially about the ending), don't read the rest of this blog entry.

Ok, normally I don't do this, but personally I really didn't like the ending of Mist. Usually I'm ok with tragic endings, but only if there was some point. I could write up many good examples of this, but that would just spoil other movies. So what happens when I get bored or I don't like the endings to movies? My inner designer kicks in and I start making up something more interesting or in this case a better ending. So here's what I came up with about 30 seconds after David used up all of the bullets. I'm not sure how well this is going to come across in print, but here it goes.

The vehicle runs of gas. Dread settles over the car. Now what? David checks the gun, only 4 bullets left. He briefly thinks about shooting everyone, but discards that idea as the cowardly way out. He can only think of two decent choices. They can all stay in the car and hope for the best or run for it. Everyone so far has been relatively safe when enclosed by something, so that might be ok, but how long can they really sit in the car? At least running is doing something and the mist can't go on forever. It's going to be slow with the two old people and the child, but they decide to run for it.

They start running through the mist. They can hear monsters all over the place, now that they are outside of the car. They keep hearing more and more nearby sounds and even get glimpses of monsters here and there. They are all getting more and more terrified, already regretting getting out of the car. Crunch. Everyone stumbles some because the earth just shook. Crunch. All of the other monster sounds start moving further away. Crunch. The group starts recognizing the crunch noises as footsteps. Crunch. The boy, who is being carried by his father, looks behind them and screams. The huge monster that went past them earlier is now on their trail. All of the other monsters have fled. The rest of the group turns and sees also. Some of them scream, some of the curse, but they all run for their lives. They keep running, but they can't outrun the huge beast. It is quickly catching up. They are so very screwed. The monster has caught up and is bringing down it's huge head to eat them. There is this big explosion from in front of the group and then the sound of an object moving really quickly towards them. Just before the monster gets it's head down to the group, the tank shell blasts right into the monster's head. The smoke clears a bit and there is a huge gaping hole in the monster's head. The blast staggered it back a bit, but it starts falling over dead. The group keeps running to avoid the monster crushing them all. It's a close call, but they make it and as they run, the mist starts clearing up and they start seeing the army with their tanks, flamethrowers, and soldiers in contamination suits (just like the real movie). They have all escaped narrowly with their lives.

I can now think of ways to probably improve this, but like I said I thought this up like 30 seconds after the bullets scene during the movie (except the flamethrowers and contamination suits).

I'm obviously not a writer and most of this would work better with visuals than in print, but I think it would have been cooler than the real ending of the movie. Just my opinion of course. What do you think?

Delilah Rehm
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM
The movie ending sucked!!!!!! Really bad. I loved the actual novella, and it hurt to see it altered so poorly in the movie. :( I'm not sure the novella's ending would have worked well on film, though. I really like your ending!

Silent_Tales
08-03-2008, 12:10 AM
The ending of The Mist is frustratingly bad.. The ending is like
Boy:"I will kill because its the only way I will survive!!" (points the gun at girl")
Girl:"No!!" :eek:
BANG!! Girl dies (Then 5 seconds later support arrives that knows a way how to make them survive)
Boy:OOOPSS!! I shouldn't have killed her :o

Bad to the bones ending.. But very good movie just bad ending.. I like the ending of shadow better.. but i think the monster can put up a fight, not just I shot SHPLAM!! :D

Shadow
08-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh, I have no doubt that my version could be improved. That was just what I thought of while still watching the movie.