PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this game?

Sko
06-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Thought this could be an interesting thread. As for me, I really enjoy it and play all the time. Can't wait for the full finished version to come out because it keeps getting better and better.

Shadow
06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh, just to let everyone know, Sko is one of our many alpha/beta testers, so yes he really is playing the game.

Delilah Rehm
06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
I like it too. :) I know the graphics are not high end, but every time I enter a new area, I'm struck by the beauty of the scenery. It feels real to me, like somewhere I'd like to travel... if it wasn't for all of the monsters. :D

Delilah Rehm

ross
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I really enjoy the game. The graphics aren't top notch but to me it feels like I'm playing old school rpgs like Diablo 2 and I used to love those games. Plus, the gameplay outweighs anyways.

I also really like the cutthroat action between the covenants at times. I've even lost a few games cos they ganged up and dominated me and i thought that was cool. I was being a jerk to them anyways. :P

Delilah Rehm
07-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm too much of a chicken to be a jerk most of the time. :o

Flummoxed
07-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Just found out about the game, what interests me most is the Consequences to Actions AND the Living World. One thing i've always wanted to see in an rpg is a combination of these two -
where your Actions have Consequences which CAUSE the Changes in how the world Evolves

Ultimately i'd like to see a game where Actions actually cause Branching in the Storyline and Quest Generation but that's damn difficult and so far no developer has had the desire (or ability?) to tackle such a project.

Anyway i'll definitely be checking the game out to see what you did with these two features.

Shadow
07-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Your actions do change which quests are spawned much of the time but not the story related quests.

leth
08-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Just started the demo, technical issues aside I am liking the demo. I just wish that there is some sort of manual that I can read though, seems like there are a lot that I don't know about this game... :( (yeah I am one of those freaks that enjoys reading manuals... :) )

Speaking of manuals, will there be a boxed version of the game? If so, will it have a nice thick manual packed inside? :rolleyes:

Shadow
08-17-2007, 02:47 PM
We might do a normal retail release which would include a manual, but it would be sometime after the digital distribution launch.

We've tried to include as much manual type info directly in the game as possible. Anything specific you think we are missing?

leth
08-17-2007, 04:46 PM
hmmm, is there anyway to adjust the number of other covenants?

Is there a way to "pick up all" the things on the ground? Or some way to highlight them?

thanks

Edit: to add some more things that I am wondering about:

1) what actions will pause the game? Ie. while you are handling some diplomacy business, is the game paused? Or do we have to speed up the negotiation in fear of being overtaken by other covenants? (I was even hesitant to trade or equip myself, for fear that something in the background is running and hurting my progress :) )
2) Is there a out of the game skill tree calculator or at least a list of the skills and their uses and costs? Would be nice to have something like the WoW talent calculator somewhere :) (Unfortunately I don't know how much customization there really is, since I haven't gotten far into the game and I am really not too sure about the various skills, again I was too afraid to browse through them too carefully in fear of getting passed by other covenants :P )
3) What are the max limits of stats? Skills? Levels? And could you explain a little bit more of how the world is randomly generated? Is it area based? Or level based? Please tell me that there is no auto-scaling of mobs and respawns :)

sorry for the noobish questions, obviously I am a noob :)

thanks again

Shadow
08-17-2007, 05:43 PM
hmmm, is there anyway to adjust the number of other covenants?

Not right now. The number is random each game from 3 to 6 enemy covenants.

Is there a way to "pick up all" the things on the ground? Or some way to highlight them?

You can hold down the alt key to show you all of the items on the ground but there is no way to pick them all up.

1) what actions will pause the game? Ie. while you are handling some diplomacy business, is the game paused? Or do we have to speed up the negotiation in fear of being overtaken by other covenants? (I was even hesitant to trade or equip myself, for fear that something in the background is running and hurting my progress :) )

Yes, the game is paused when you are doing diplomacy stuff. I believe anytime there is a full screen menu up the game will pause. It will also pause on many of the other UI screens (like reading a tome) but you can see the pause message on the screen for those. You can always press P or the pause key to pause the game whenever you want.

2) Is there a out of the game skill tree calculator or at least a list of the skills and their uses and costs? Would be nice to have something like the WoW talent calculator somewhere :) (Unfortunately I don't know how much customization there really is, since I haven't gotten far into the game and I am really not too sure about the various skills, again I was too afraid to browse through them too carefully in fear of getting passed by other covenants :P )

Not at the moment. I believe the game also pauses when you have the skill screen up.

3) What are the max limits of stats? Skills? Levels?

Attributes max at 250 (well natural value at least, I don't think there is a max with magic modifiers from skills/items)

Skills usually don't have a hard max but they cost more for each skill level so eventually they will probably cost too much to be worth it. If they do have a max it will specify it when you highlight the skill.

Level max for the demo is 7, but for the full game it is 100.

And could you explain a little bit more of how the world is randomly generated? Is it area based? Or level based? Please tell me that there is no auto-scaling of mobs and respawns :)

I assume you are talking more about how the monsters are randomly spawned. Which monsters get spawned is determined by a bunch of different factors but the level of the monsters is based on the area not the player level. So no there is no auto scaling. I'm personally not a fan of auto scaling. I really like to be able to go back through a lower level area and slaughter stuff :)

There is some respawning though, but it only happens when there are quests available for that area. Unfortunately, this is kind of necessary or you wouldn't be able to solve quests very often.

leth
08-17-2007, 06:01 PM
thanks for the answers and sorry to be so nosy :( Please just bare with me with some more questions and comments.

Part of the reason that I am asking about the pausing stuff so much, is because I am one of those people that prefer a single player RPG to not to be so hectic. I am one of those that would spend hours playing with equipments and skill settings, and I love to be able to sit back and plan my next move. In short I like to win :D

(Take for example Heavenly sword, which is the more main stream game that is coming out. It is very hectic, but most of the combat consisted of randomly mashing of buttons which some how resulted in some cool move. Granted it was only the demo, and there is probably some combos etc. that one can learn. I rather not have to careless trade, equip in an RPG and hope for the best :o)

What can I say I am an old fart trapped in a relatively young body ;)

For some reason, I thought the world is randomly generated too, sorry. Though besides mobs, what other things are randomly generated?

In regard to quest, say I finished quest A, will other covenants be able to do quest A too? Or is the re-quest-ability based on the type of quest. Ie. a kill x number of goblins quest is re-quest-able when the goblins respawn. But a quest that involves you finding some person is not?

thanks again.

Oh I forgot to ask, in the final game are there more customization of characters? I mean I don't mean something fancy, but at least give us the option to adjust both the sex and class type independantly?

Shadow
08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
thanks for the answers and sorry to be so nosy :( Please just bare with me with some more questions and comments.

I don't mind questions at all :)

Part of the reason that I am asking about the pausing stuff so much, is because I am one of those people that prefer a single player RPG to not to be so hectic. I am one of those that would spend hours playing with equipments and skill settings, and I love to be able to sit back and plan my next move. In short I like to win :D

I'm actually very similar. The game can get hectic here and there but you can pause it when ever you want. We also tried to make it auto pause at places that make sense.

For some reason, I thought the world is randomly generated too, sorry. Though besides mobs, what other things are randomly generated?

Oh, the world is randomly generated also. It just sounded like you were more concerned about monster stuff. A lot of stuff is randomly generated like the world layout (a few areas are always there), the level itself is randomly built, monsters, which covenants are in the game and how many, traps, item drops, a lot of the quests/events, etc.

In regard to quest, say I finished quest A, will other covenants be able to do quest A too? Or is the re-quest-ability based on the type of quest. Ie. a kill x number of goblins quest is re-quest-able when the goblins respawn. But a quest that involves you finding some person is not?

Once a quest has been completed and you talk to the npc that gave you the quest the other covenants can not solve that quest. The same is also true if they solve the quest before you. Now that doesn't mean an NPC or the world itself won't start another similar quest.

Oh I forgot to ask, in the final game are there more customization of characters? I mean I don't mean something fancy, but at least give us the option to adjust both the sex and class type independantly?

I would like to but unfortunately it is a ton of extra art work to do that and would postpone the game :(

leth
08-17-2007, 07:42 PM
hehe, np on the character customization, maybe some time in the future right? ;)

Now about the Pausing, it seems that its behavior can be "inconsistent." Seems that any action that will auto-pause the game can inadvertently toggle a manually toggled pause to off.

Let me explain possible confusion: I just paused the game manually, now I open up my inventory to look at my equipment. While playing with my equipment, I decide to look at my stat change while changing equipments. Since the character screen overlaps the equipment screen I can't see some of the equipments. So I toggle Char screen off, fully expecting the game is still paused. However, the action of toggling the Char screen would un-paused the previously paused game.

As such, I have two questions:
1) is it possible to move the screens like the character screen?
2) Is it possible to make actions that auto pause the game to "remember" previous "pause state" of the game and restore to that state properly?

Both are not big deal, just some annoyance :)

Finally, can one's characters be used in another game? Or when you beat the other covenants can you continue to play? Or do all the respawning of mobs will be stopped at that point?

thanks much

Shadow
08-17-2007, 08:58 PM
hehe, np on the character customization, maybe some time in the future right? ;)

I won't promise anything at the moment but I sure wouldn't mind adding this in the future.

Now about the Pausing, it seems that its behavior can be "inconsistent." Seems that any action that will auto-pause the game can inadvertently toggle a manually toggled pause to off.

You are correct, I will fix this for the full release. I'll have to see how feasible it is to add support for moving the UI screens around.

Finally, can one's characters be used in another game? Or when you beat the other covenants can you continue to play? Or do all the respawning of mobs will be stopped at that point?

You can bring your character, items, and recruits over into a new game. We are very much like a normal RPG in this respect.

If you win a game you can actually continue playing in that particular world for as long as you want to but like I said pretty much everything important carries over so most people seem to just finish up what they are doing and start a new game.

Monsters will continue to respawn the same as they usually do after you have won a game.

hedgewitch
08-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Just want to say I really like a lot about the demo, but I am also a manual person. I'm having trouble figuring things out in-game and a simple list of definitions of various game elements either in a readme or here on your site would really be useful.

I'm glad to read about the pause function as I've been finding the pace makes for a bit of confusion in getting to the tutorial help while getting slammed by pixies ;=)

I'm confused about the cp/sp notations, gold, crystal etc and how to interpret what I have and how to get more. I have skill points I can't use and skill trees that seem locked/unlocked randomly but I know this can't be the case. Sorry if I'm not expressing myself very well! I'll be starting over and trying again tomorrow and maybe some of these things will get clearer.The whole influence/diplomacy screen is a dark mystery at the moment since I missed the help topic popup the first time around, causing me to be swarmed and raided pretty promptly. :)

If you plan on not doing a formal manual or even a detailed readme, just making your existing tutorial help topics accessible on demand in an ingame database would certainly be really a plus.

Anyway, despite my confusion, I think soldak has done a good job of making a game that is not just a copy of every other arpg out there. Thanks!

Shadow
08-18-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm confused about the cp/sp notations, gold, crystal etc and how to interpret what I have and how to get more.

Copper (cp), silver (sp), and gold (gp) are basically the player version of money and their converstions all use 100.
100 cp = 1 sp
100 sp = 1 gp
For the most part you get more of this by finding items and selling them to the vendors or other covenants.

Crystals is the covenant version of money. You primarily get crystals as taxes from the town. The more influence you have with the town the higher the taxes. You get influence by killing monsters, solving quests, destroying other covenants, etc. You can use crystals to buy guards, start rumors, and/or trade with the other covenants.

I have skill points I can't use and skill trees that seem locked/unlocked randomly but I know this can't be the case.

You can get all of the skills at the very beginning but they each cost a certain number of skill points and also cost some amount of money (copper/silver/gold). I would expect that you just don't have enough money.

The whole influence/diplomacy screen is a dark mystery at the moment since I missed the help topic popup the first time around, causing me to be swarmed and raided pretty promptly. :)

If you plan on not doing a formal manual or even a detailed readme, just making your existing tutorial help topics accessible on demand in an ingame database would certainly be really a plus.

You can reset them so you can re-read them all if you want. If you want to do this go to options, then game options, and then hit the Reset All Help Topics button.

Oh, and welcome to the forums hedgewitch.

waargh
08-18-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm enjoying the demo.

Game feels like:
* a little bit of D2, WoW (quests, loot, rpg/action mechanics)
* a little bit of civ-like politics
* raids feel like PvP in other games quite tense
* members of my covenant are important to me, like my own pvp guild. But I "raise" them with a feeling like Pokemon (maybe this isn't a good comparison, but it's one that's familiar to me).

Notes:
* graphics and sounds are sufficient, even runs on my old laptop

Comments/questions:
* I'm not sure how crystal income for covenent is determined
* Is the game over if you take out the other guilds? Eventually (even on default aggression), if I bribe the right folks, it's going to end up being a my covenant and one other. Do I at least get to keep my gates if I take eveyone out and the game ends and we start again with same char on new game?

So far, this is the best crpg fun I've had in a while. I'm looking forward to the finished product and future versions based on this engine.

Is there any way to preorder or something to unlock past level 7? Or is the content not yet ready for that?

Thanks.

waargh
08-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Sorry, crystal income was answered above (thanks):

"Crystals is the covenant version of money. You primarily get crystals as taxes from the town. The more influence you have with the town the higher the taxes. You get influence by killing monsters, solving quests, destroying other covenants, etc. You can use crystals to buy guards, start rumors, and/or trade with the other covenants."

Shadow
08-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the forums waargh.

Is the game over if you take out the other guilds? Eventually (even on default aggression), if I bribe the right folks, it's going to end up being a my covenant and one other. Do I at least get to keep my gates if I take eveyone out and the game ends and we start again with same char on new game?

Well you will win the game if you destroy everyone else but you can start a new game and your character, items, and recruits will carry over to the new game. You do keep access to most of the gates that you have found. Specifically, you will keep all of the gates that are in the zones that are straight north of town. This unfortunately seems a little arbitrary but since the layout of the world is random, these are the only zones that are guaranteed to actually be there in your next game. They won't necessarily be the same zone, but there will be one there.

So far, this is the best crpg fun I've had in a while. I'm looking forward to the finished product and future versions based on this engine.

Is there any way to preorder or something to unlock past level 7? Or is the content not yet ready for that?

I'm really glad that you are enjoying the game. Unfortunately there is not a way to unlock past level 7 in the demo. Most of the content is ready but it's not in the demo.

leth
08-18-2007, 01:43 AM
woo, more answers nice :)

I second the question about pre-ordering. Please do let us know about purchasing options as soon as you are ready shadow :)

About the moving of the on-screen display windows, it is not that important. Though would it be possible to:

make the windows that doesn't take the whole scree a little smaller.
edge the inventory window a bit to the right of its current pop-up location so that it doesn't overlap with the character window.

Now that I think about it, is it possible to zoom further out? I have the zoom slider all the way to the right, and at max zoom the game screen still feel a little small.

thanks

Shadow
08-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Though would it be possible to:

make the windows that doesn't take the whole scree a little smaller.
edge the inventory window a bit to the right of its current pop-up location so that it doesn't overlap with the character window.

Right now any direction I move the inventory it's going to overlap with something, but don't worry I'll figure out something.

Now that I think about it, is it possible to zoom further out? I have the zoom slider all the way to the right, and at max zoom the game screen still feel a little small.

Well technically you can but in an unsupported manner. You can either change the zoom in the user.cfg file or change it in the console. Hit the ~ to bring down the console when you are in the game. Type zoom and then hit enter and it will tell you what the current value is. Type zoom 1.0 (or whatever value you want) and hit enter and it will change your zoom value to your specified value. I believe the farthest away zoom is 1.4 so if you want it even farther try 1.5 or 1.6.

A quick warning though, the farther out you get the more likely you will start getting problems like monsters or objects just popping in. It will also likely make the game slower but that of course greatly depends on your computer.

hedgewitch
08-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the answers, Shadow. I really feel like there is a lot "under the hood" in this game and that info will help me move right along.

I've played several demos of action rpgs lately(Loki, Silverfall, etc) and while graphically these games appear slick and polished, they're pretty hollow to play and pretty much nothing more than a reiteration of all that's gone before.

Your game really has a lot more to offer in terms of actual gameplay. Thanks again for the help.

leth
08-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the answers, Shadow. I really feel like there is a lot "under the hood" in this game and that info will help me move right along.

I've played several demos of action rpgs lately(Loki, Silverfall, etc) and while graphically these games appear slick and polished, they're pretty hollow to play and pretty much nothing more than a reiteration of all that's gone before.

Your game really has a lot more to offer in terms of actual gameplay. Thanks again for the help.

yeah I definitely love to know more "under the hood" stuff too :)

Heh, I too tried all those demo, and you are right hedge, Depth of Peril may not look as pretty but it definitely has the most depth in game play!

leth
08-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Right now any direction I move the inventory it's going to overlap with something, but don't worry I'll figure out something.

Well technically you can but in an unsupported manner. You can either change the zoom in the user.cfg file or change it in the console. Hit the ~ to bring down the console when you are in the game. Type zoom and then hit enter and it will tell you what the current value is. Type zoom 1.0 (or whatever value you want) and hit enter and it will change your zoom value to your specified value. I believe the farthest away zoom is 1.4 so if you want it even farther try 1.5 or 1.6.

A quick warning though, the farther out you get the more likely you will start getting problems like monsters or objects just popping in. It will also likely make the game slower but that of course greatly depends on your computer.
Just want to add some comment on the zoom setting. Putting values >1.4 in the user.cfg works! However, if I use the scroll wheel to either zoom in or zoom out, the increased zoom setting will be gone, and back in its place is the normal setting of max zoom at 1.4.

btw with zoom set at 2.4 the game looks great! However, you are right about the "poping." I have a rather beefy system, I would love to be able to increase the "load" distance. I have been playing with the user.cfg for about an hour now hoping to stumble upon a setting that would make more things get loaded at once.

Two other questions:

1) what does m_maxThreshold setting do? How about r_anistropicValue? Shouldn't the max setting for that be 16 instead of 1.0?
2) Does weather effect the game in some way?

thanks

Shadow
08-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Yeah, we've tried really hard to have a much deeper game than a typical rpg. Hopefully it makes for a much more interesting game.

yeah I definitely love to know more "under the hood" stuff too :)

There is a lot of stuff going on under the hood, anything specific you guys want to know?

Just want to add some comment on the zoom setting. Putting values >1.4 in the user.cfg works! However, if I use the scroll wheel to either zoom in or zoom out, the increased zoom setting will be gone, and back in its place is the normal setting of max zoom at 1.4.

btw with zoom set at 2.4 the game looks great! However, you are right about the "poping." I have a rather beefy system, I would love to be able to increase the "load" distance. I have been playing with the user.cfg for about an hour now hoping to stumble upon a setting that would make more things get loaded at once.

Yeah, that's what I meant by unsupported :) You are indeed correct about the mouse wheel will pop you back to the max and unfortunately there isn't a way to change the "load" distance. When they are too far the client doesn't even know about the monsters/objects. The server doesn't bother to tell the client. This is some of the back-end work to hopefully make the game multiplayer some day.

1) what does m_maxThreshold setting do? How about r_anistropicValue? Shouldn't the max setting for that be 16 instead of 1.0?
2) Does weather effect the game in some way?

m_maxThreshold is just used for the suggested max memory footprint. When the game is using less than that amount it will not unload resources it has loaded but is no longer using, so it is basically caching them. If it starts using more memory it will start unloading unneeded resources.

If I remember correctly r_anisotropicValue is actually a multiplier. The value 1.0 means use the highest value that your computer can do.

Weather does effect a few things here and there like putting out open fires but nothing major at the moment, but I'll eventually make it have more impact.

Leon121
08-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Hello!

First, let me tell you, I tried the demo, because it was small, and I had time. Then it made me really like it (much better than Loki by the way). It's a lot more deeper than I thought. I like the fighting with other covenants, the random quests, which others can solve too, and that I feel there's time in this game, and I'm not the only "savior of the world" whom everyone waits. :)

Keep up the good work, I bookmarked your homepage, and will watch this game until it comes out.

I wanted to ask about higher levels, then I realized, there's a difficulty setting in the game. So, a question: how long (time and character level advancement) will it take to "finish" the game? And by the way does finishing mean defeating all the other covenants, or will there be some long story, with a boss and some "usual" RPG elements?

Oh, and one comment: I think raiding another covenant and forging alliances etc. takes a lot time, or is it only in the demo? I mean it took me 15-20 minutes just to defeat one enemy covenant with my one partner againts their 5-6 defenders. And I mean it takes a lot of effort (crístal or influence) to make another covenant like us just a little bit better.

And one last thing on my mind: the enemy covenants were too aggressive even on normal setting. They were already killing each other, while I was out questing for the town.

(Sorry if I'm incorrect in my grammar.)

Tumburu
08-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I just want to chime in too and say that I am really enjoying the demo. It feels like a breath of fresh air compared to so many games out there. I don't feel like you're just re-hashing the same stuff. You've put a lot of thought into the design, and it shows.

I'm already hoping for a strategy guide. I'm not very good at strategy games, but I really like the strategy aspects in this one. However, I sure need help. I can never seem to raise any other covenant’s influence towards me very much, let alone set up alliances, trades, etc.

I just finished getting my rump kicked. I wanted to see what it was like to raid another covenant. So, away I went. I got his lifestone down to about 15% and thought, "Ha! You are mine!" That's when the most powerful covenant starting raiding my lifestone! There was nothing I could do to stop them and they totally smoked me. Tough lesson. However, it was cool that when I started the next game, I still had all my henchmen and stuff. Very cool! I can't wait for the full version. You got at least one solid sale :)

leth
08-18-2007, 07:47 PM
hehe, good to see that I am not the only one that is getting my ass kicked by others! :p

@shadow: any tip on finer game mechanics would be great, maybe some tips on diplomacy. ;) And any tips on modding (after game is released ofc) and game gfx tweaks or any other game configuration would be awesome.

But please don't let our questions hold up your work, we all want the game ASAP :D

Shadow
08-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the forums Leon121.

I wanted to ask about higher levels, then I realized, there's a difficulty setting in the game. So, a question: how long (time and character level advancement) will it take to "finish" the game? And by the way does finishing mean defeating all the other covenants, or will there be some long story, with a boss and some "usual" RPG elements?

How long it takes to finish a game varies a lot depending on a lot of different factors. I managed to finish one in 30 minutes the other day but usually they are a lot longer than that.

You "finish" a game when you destroy all of the other covenants, get a diplomatic or alliance win, or when your covenant is destroyed. After you win or lose a game though you can start a new game.

There are a number of storyline quests in the game and a bunch of bosses however. That's just not how you win a game.

Oh, and one comment: I think raiding another covenant and forging alliances etc. takes a lot time, or is it only in the demo? I mean it took me 15-20 minutes just to defeat one enemy covenant with my one partner againts their 5-6 defenders. And I mean it takes a lot of effort (crístal or influence) to make another covenant like us just a little bit better.

I believe raids actually get quicker when you get to higher levels.

It does take a bit of effort to get the covenants to like you more. It's a little harder at the beginning because they are low on money and can't afford to buy stuff from you. They also don't have a full covenant to equip.

And one last thing on my mind: the enemy covenants were too aggressive even on normal setting. They were already killing each other, while I was out questing for the town.

Well they are supposed to do that to some extent, but I agree they probably are still a little too aggressive.

Shadow
08-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the forums Tumburu.

I'm already hoping for a strategy guide. I'm not very good at strategy games, but I really like the strategy aspects in this one. However, I sure need help. I can never seem to raise any other covenant’s influence towards me very much, let alone set up alliances, trades, etc.

There are a lot of different ways to do this. Personally I pick 1 or 2 covenants that like me more than the others do and focus on them. Then I try to sell them as many items as I can that I don't want. Then when you get them high enough start trade routes and the easier treaties.

I just finished getting my rump kicked. I wanted to see what it was like to raid another covenant. So, away I went. I got his lifestone down to about 15% and thought, "Ha! You are mine!" That's when the most powerful covenant starting raiding my lifestone! There was nothing I could do to stop them and they totally smoked me. Tough lesson. However, it was cool that when I started the next game, I still had all my henchmen and stuff. Very cool! I can't wait for the full version. You got at least one solid sale :)

The AI watches raids pretty closely to see if there is an easy target :) Your lifestone does get hurt when you die in offensive raids so be careful when you raid people. Also guards can make it much harder for an attacker to win a raid against you.

@shadow: any tip on finer game mechanics would be great, maybe some tips on diplomacy. ;)

Ah, more tips you say. At low levels the most important thing is to grab as many recruits as possible since you start with none. After everyone has full covenants this doesn't matter quite as much. Unlike me you should probably remember to keep your recruits well armed.

As for diplomacy, trade as much as possible with the other covenants that you want to be friends with. If you must, give gifts and give into demands. Also, as soon as they will let you sign a non-aggression pact and a tiny trade route and other higher pacts/trade routes.

There are other subtle but common sense things you can do. If there is a monster town attack, a scout, or some other kind of monster attack on their house and you help out they will like you better. Also, if you kill people from another covenant that they are at war with they will like you better. So a really good time to raid someone is when they are raiding someone you want to be friends with. This way you can catch the enemy off guard and you can make the potential friend really happy.

That's really just the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of different strategies that the team or testers have used.

And any tips on modding (after game is released ofc) and game gfx tweaks or any other game configuration would be awesome.

After we release I'll have to put some basic info together to tell everyone how to do specific things to mod the game. Most of it's actually pretty easy. Most of the important data is in the Database directory (in asset001.zip I think). Usually things are in the files that make sense like covenant data is in covenant.gdb, there is an entire directory for items and monsters, general stuff is in systems.gdb, etc.

There's not too much you can do with the demo though. The demo won't load loose asset files (files not in the zips) and you can't change the number of files in the zips either. The full game won't have these restrictions though.

hedgewitch
08-19-2007, 12:28 AM
The longer I play this game the more I like it. Your hints helped a lot, Shadow. As Leth says, don't let us hold up any work on the game but I did have one quick question--is there any way to train in a basic skill--like to acquire the leather armor skill or mace skill if you're a mage--or is your character given certain basic skills by class and that's it; i.e., my mage can never wear leather, my rogue can never learn chain mail etc.(which would make sense)

I didn't see any skill trainers, but maybe this is for higher level characters? BTW, what is the final game level cap?

Oh and just so you know, I had a lockup changing the video options in the options screen from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 for my widescreen. Had to cntrl-alt-del to end task. (No biggie.) Otherwise performance has been rock solid stable.

Once again, thanks. This game could definitely get addictive. ;=)

Shadow
08-19-2007, 12:54 AM
I did have one quick question--is there any way to train in a basic skill--like to acquire the leather armor skill or mace skill if you're a mage--or is your character given certain basic skills by class and that's it; i.e., my mage can never wear leather, my rogue can never learn chain mail etc.(which would make sense)

For the most part you are stuck with the armor and weapon skills that you start with. There are two exceptions though. The priest has a mail armor skill and the warrior has a plate armor skill that they can get.

I didn't see any skill trainers, but maybe this is for higher level characters? BTW, what is the final game level cap?

Skill trainer? If you are talking about an NPC to train with, there aren't any.

In the full game the character level cap is 100.

WYBaugh
08-19-2007, 02:06 PM
What a great game! Can't wait for the official release!

leetby
08-20-2007, 02:28 AM
So what does the +magic chance% mod on items/relics do?

Does this increase the chance to find magic items, or the chance to hit/crit with spells or what?

I've found a few pieces with this mod, but I'm not sure if I should stack +item% or +magic% to get phat lewts :)

Shadow
08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
So what does the +magic chance% mod on items/relics do?

Does this increase the chance to find magic items, or the chance to hit/crit with spells or what?

I've found a few pieces with this mod, but I'm not sure if I should stack +item% or +magic% to get phat lewts :)

+magic chance% increases the chance when you find items that they will be magical.

leth
08-20-2007, 04:55 PM
speaking of the level cap. Can one still increase their characters stats or skills after the cap?

I haven't got around trying this in the demo, but can we take a high level character into a game with low level covenants? I'd love the opportunity to bully them around (since I pretty much have been bullied by them so far :o)

thanks

Shadow
08-20-2007, 06:44 PM
speaking of the level cap. Can one still increase their characters stats or skills after the cap?

I'm not completely sure what you mean by this. Once you hit the level cap there isn't a way to get more attribute and skill points. You can still allocate the ones you have though and of course you can still find better items to raise your stats.

I haven't got around trying this in the demo, but can we take a high level character into a game with low level covenants? I'd love the opportunity to bully them around (since I pretty much have been bullied by them so far :o)

Yes, you can. When you start each game you have the choice of the other covenants level (the numbers on the left that go from 0 to 100). This defaults near your level but you can lower or raise it if you want to.

leth
08-20-2007, 07:02 PM
bah, I am sorry for the confusion, that is what I get for trying to browse the web during work. Ignore my first question please ;)

JYG
08-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Tried the demo and I am looking forward to buying the full game, however I have one suggestion:

Would it be possible to make skill hotkeys targeted. An example; playing as a priest I would really like to be able to heal my party companion with just one click instead of having to select him and then cast the spell.

Thanks.

Shadow
08-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the forums JYG.

I'll have to see if there is a good way to one click heal your companion. You can give him food and/or a healing potion with a hotkey (F1/F6) but I assume you mean your actual heal spell.

JYG
08-26-2007, 08:32 AM
... I assume you mean your actual heal spell.

Yes.

One other thing; is it possible to remove skills and get the skill points back? Otherwise would be a nice thing to include ( for example took 2 buffs with my priest but then i noticed that one can only use 1 buff at the time).

Shadow
08-26-2007, 10:57 AM
You can't right now, but I'm considering it for the final game.

Oh, also I've now added it so you can cast directly onto your party members UI (name, health bar, etc.) on the left side of the screen without needing to change your real target.

JYG
08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Nice, thanks.

One of the few negative things I have noticed with the demo is that a few of the dungeons are way to dark (even the minimap is very hard to read). A bit hard to navigate in them also since the rooms/corridors are very small and often filled for example braziers in the middle.

Since this is a quite fast paced game I would like it to take just a little more time to do a dungeon quest than an outdoors quest. As it is know they take maybe 5 times as much time to do, so I tend to avoid them unofrtunately.

Otherwise I am really looking forward for the final version. Way more fun than other games that I have bought recently (for example Titan Quest and Loki).

Shadow
08-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I have increased the monster counts a little in the caves/dungeons to speed things up a bit. Of course that makes them more dangerous ;)

You get more treasure in dungeons btw.

AnalogKid
08-30-2007, 04:01 AM
There is a lot of stuff going on under the hood, anything specific you guys want to know?
I'd like to know how the bonuses get applied. For Attack bonuses, as an example, is it something like one of the following:

- (Base + fixed# bonus) * (1+%bonus/100)
- (Base * (1+%bonus/100)) + fixed# bonus

Or something else?

I'd like to know the same info about damage, health, defense, armor, elemental resistance, armor piercing, special attacks (crushing blow, critical hit, deep wounds), and item harvesting.

Oh, and I'd like to know if NPCs suffer an XP penalty when being killed by monsters?

I know that's a lot to request, but you did offer...:D

Shadow
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Ok, that's a lot of data :) It's not exactly complicated, but it will take a bit of time to write up. I'll try to write up some of this before we release, but I can't promise anything at the moment.

Armor piercing is easy, it's just a straight subtract on the enemies armor.

As for the NPCs, they don't get XP debt.

The rest I'll slowly write up and add to the strategy forum and eventually on the main website.

AnalogKid
08-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Hey, any info you make available is greatly appreciated! Thanks for all the answers you've already provided.

Badgering like this is probably why "big time" developers don't make themselves as available as you do, but please remember that I'm very appreciative for your responses and I understand when you can't immediately post an encyclopedia of info. Getting the full release out should obviously be the priority.

Having said that, one more request :o: A list of all basic item types in the game (especially armor and weapons), along with their base stats.

LDiCesare
09-01-2007, 09:22 AM
I like this game a lot based on the demo.
There are a few gameplay issues I have, however, and they mostly relate to storyline/world.

There's a lot of background story. There are also story quests. However, I was very surprised to see a 'this is the last story quest you can get in the demo' line. What? There are story quests? When? Where? Couldn't tje quest giver tell us a little bit more about such story quests when they happen? I mean, I did go and kill the boss, but who was he, what was his background, what made that different from just another quest?

I actually wanted to read some of the books, but the book panel when reading is way too small, and there's always the doubt whether or not the game is paused at that time. Maybe if the books opened full screen, it would be easier to read, without being distracted by the background which thend to urge us to get out of the book.

Another gameplay issue I have is the items. Some seem rare or inexistent in the demo (helmets), but many staves and magic oriented classes items don't seem to help with the magic skills. I'd rather have a staff that adds +1% to elemental damage than one which causes +2 famage when hitting if I play a casting priest for instance.

Very nice game overall.

Shadow
09-01-2007, 11:10 AM
There's a lot of background story. There are also story quests. However, I was very surprised to see a 'this is the last story quest you can get in the demo' line. What? There are story quests? When? Where? Couldn't tje quest giver tell us a little bit more about such story quests when they happen? I mean, I did go and kill the boss, but who was he, what was his background, what made that different from just another quest?

The storyline quests aren't marked in any way, but they generally have much longer text that explains what is going on. I'll have to think about a way to integrate some of this a little better.

I actually wanted to read some of the books, but the book panel when reading is way too small, and there's always the doubt whether or not the game is paused at that time. Maybe if the books opened full screen, it would be easier to read, without being distracted by the background which thend to urge us to get out of the book.

It does pause when you read the stories. I can problably extend the size of this some to make it easier to read.

Another gameplay issue I have is the items. Some seem rare or inexistent in the demo (helmets), but many staves and magic oriented classes items don't seem to help with the magic skills. I'd rather have a staff that adds +1% to elemental damage than one which causes +2 famage when hitting if I play a casting priest for instance.

Some of the item types like helmets start dropping at higher levels (in this case around lvl 15) so you might not see them in the demo.

There are some things that will help a mage like +mana. +mana regen, and +intelligence. An item with +1% elemental damage would be cool for a mage. That sounds like something we might have to add in an expansion.

Pladio
09-01-2007, 04:42 PM
My experience from the demo:

Pros :

Very nice and refreshing gameplay.
Nice skill tree.
Classic, but good classes.
New and mostly unseen gameplay features.
Very stable.

Cons :

No unique quests.
No evolving and consequenceful storyline.
Too many generic monsters and quests.

Neutrals :

Mediocre graphics.
Many useless and worthless items.

(Was supposed to be a) Mini-review:

When I started the game I wasn't really expecting much. I mostly expected some kind of breakdown teams with diplomacy which didn't work well. I was expecting a simple hack'n'slash with some extras to spend some time. Well, I was pleasefully amused when I finished my first game.
In short, you start the game out choosing a class and difficulty level. I chose a warrior as in most hack'n'slashes, the warrior class gets to wear the most equipment and gets a nice choice of skills as well. This was true, but at first I had no idea what I was doing. I was just moving my character around until I saw some kind of small scroll on the bottom edge of the screen blinking with a question mark. Ah, I finally had found the tutorial. Once found, it tells you what most things do and where the important NPCs are. Then you have to go out on your own. I decided to get some quests first and I wandered out of the town. I was quickly surprised by some monsters mobbing me, but to my great surprise I managed to kill all of them while almost not loosing any health points myself.
Which is my first gripe... The monsters out there are simply too easy to beat. After I completed my first recruitment quest and I had someone with me, it seemed like I was invincible.
I was just solving quests when I got some quest with a lot of text. From what I read in this topic, it must be part of the storyline and I had to kill some scout named Vakiol or something like that. I also had another recruiting quest for a priest, so I did the recruiting quest first and used the priest to attack vakiol, I didn't even have to help him until we got to Vakiol, he was a monster-killing machine, his holy-projectile was just obliterating everything.
Vakiol was a bit harder, but I didn't even lose half my health killing Vakiol.
I thought it was time to attack another covenant. And, of course I thought I was oh-so-powerful so I decide to attack the strongest covenant. When I got to their house I get killed by a level 6 warrior with two guards and a recruit. I didn't give up though and kept attacking. After a long while I managed destroy that covenant. This was finally a challenging battle where I had to use my skills.
Then I chose to do some more adventuring and quests and after a while I managed to destroy all covenants, but one with which I had an alliance, so I won my first game.

I didn't like the fact that even though the quests were plentiful, they were all the same. Kill this, get experience, kill (x) this, get experience, fetch (x) this, get experience. Even the recruitment and storyline quests were like that. I think that any special quests should have special missions and also special rewards.
Let's say a mage lvl 5 can be recruited in town, then it shouldn't be, kill 5 Bone Hunters and I'll join you. It should be something like this :
I lost my spell book on my way here from my tower, it must be somewhere in between these two places, but I can't join you as my most powerful spells are written in that book and I can't remember how to cast them yet. You then go to his tower and follow the road to town, but instead of finding the book, you see another NPC there holding the book and reading something in the book. You tell him it's the mage's book and he then summons skeletons and other undead beings to destroy you. If you manage to defeat him then you get the book, otherwise if you leave the area, the necromancer is gone and you failed the quest.
I know it must be hard to code something like that for hundreds of recruitable NPCs, but even if you add two different kinds of quests like these to every class recruitment quests, it would already add a lot to the game.

Same with bosses, if a quest is to kill them then it should be something more than just a stonger version of a Torva or Styrac, it should really have something.
Also, most monsters, at a certain point drop a lot of magical items, so much that it seems there are more magical items out there than non-magical ones.
This makes the common items useless and worthless.
I would also like to see more than one option for everything, something like in the diplomacy window would be good. When talking to an NPC and talking about a quest it would be nice to add some kind of like/hate meter where you could ask for a better reward or when bartering too.
If an NPC doesn't like you or your covenant as a whole then he won't offer you good rewards or good quests...

Sorry for all the ranting, but I see a great deal of potential in this game and I wouldn't like to see it wasted.

The covenant system is great, works great and is great. Diplomacy works very nicely too, but I don't really know what influence does. Does it make me more powerful? Get more taxes ?

I only had one crash and something that seemed to be a bug to me: I had a treasure map which didn't really contain a treasure map, I tried right-clicking it, (with an open quest slot) but nothing happened.
I also think that adding forging skills, if at all possible, would enhance gameplay as you would be able to make things as you saw fit if you had the skills and equipment to do it.

I'm sorry if I wasn't very structured, but I wanted to make a mini-review and didn't think I would have so much to say. I think I may have more though, but I forgot part of it.

I'm also sorry for sounding so negative, but I hope that by saying it now, you can still improve the game as much as possible before release.

Thank you for a very nice, entertaining and specially innovating game.
Also if you still have place as an Alpha or Beta-Tester, I'd be glad to join.

Shadow
09-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the forums Pladio, good writeup btw.

Influence is basically a measure of how much the town likes your covenant compared to the other covenants. Influence does control how much taxes (cyrstals) you take in each tax period. It is also quite useful in trade.

The treasure map problem was probably because the map was for an area that was outside of the demo.

As for your quest ideas, it's probably too late for the initial game since we should be releasing in days, but I would really like to add a lot more variety in the quests (probably in expansions). There are quite a few more quest types in the game that you don't see in the demo though.

Pladio
09-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.
Where will I be able to buy and the game and how is it to be distributed (retail stores, online ?) ? Also, how much will it cost? If the price isn't too high, I'd be glad to fund an ongoing project to make hack'n'slashes better.

I forgot to add something. More choices in quests would be nice too, multiple teams as well, like covenants of the lights side against covenants of the dark side (for Depths of Peril II or an expansion :) ), both sides would have their own town with its own merchants, a neutral town would be nice as well where no fighting would be allowed. Multiple goals for winning the game and it would add a new aspect to the game as well, where you would have to fight the opposite team which is trying to make succeed in its quests against your team making it more useful to adventure with fellow covenants.

Making it possible to gain new lifestones would be nice too. I'll try to explain what I mean once I know it myself.

Shadow
09-01-2007, 10:36 PM
The game will be distributed online at first with a possible retail release later. I'm still not sure what the final price is going to be, but it will be less than a typical retail game price.

AnalogKid
09-03-2007, 06:33 PM
...we should be releasing in days...
Promise? :D

Shadow
09-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Well if today counts as a few days, then yes I promise. :)

Thrugg
09-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Well if today counts as a few days, then yes I promise. :)

Hooray! :D

Downloaded...but I'm still stuck at work. Just..one...more...hour...!!

Thanks Shadow!

-Thrugg
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

leth
09-05-2007, 09:45 PM
yes! thank you guys, DoP is finally out, too bad I found out so late at night :( damn it

draikonm
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Solid quality game, ever since playing the demo I've been watching the main site for a link to buy :P

I'll definitely be telling my friends about this, plus working at a LAN centre it gives me a chance to show them, and you deserve every penny for the work put into this.

Obviously this has been brought up more times than you can imagine, but if you can really get multiplayer into the game, I think the success rate will greatly increase, it's already a highly detailed and wonderful game, and like many others have said I really do enjoy the unique covenant based gameplay, so it's great to see so much work has gone into a deep singleplayer game first.
Hey and just think if the game becomes multiplayer and IGUK get ahold of it, lots of sales for you :P

The game blends alot of good features from other games, and I find that other covenant members act like MMO players, as in coming to steal your kill heh, but it all winds up into one fresh, class game.

Maybe later I'll add some more thoughts to the game, but for now I have to play it more ;)
Great work, best $30 spent in a long while.

Shadow
09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the forums draikonm.

I'm really glad you like the game. Yes, please tell all your friends. :) The more word of mouth we get the better.

I'm really hoping we can do multiplayer in the first expansion.

BAWZ
09-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi Shadow,

just a month ago I started playing again "Diablo II", but I stopped playing almost immediately, it's such a slow (in sp) and dumb (in mp) game... It's almost like a country fair, the best "farmer" (almost) always wins! :D
So I thought about how a game like that could have benefited from some more depth in gameplay. A couple of weeks later a friend showed me this game, and... Well, maybe I should start wishing to become ruler of the universe, who knows, it could happen really soon (and all of you would be sooo sorry). :D

Anyway, I played the demo for 3 days, then I bought the game, and now I can consider myself a happy camper. As of now I didn't find ANYTHING to complain about, and I am one of those guys that ditch games because the installation folder is a complete mess (it gives me an impression of disorganized programming, and more often than not it's not just an impression). From the simple folder organization (I read about how patches will be structured and I dare to say I LOVE YOU FOR THAT) to the gameplay mechanics and balance, it's like the fair of "ass-kicking".
Speaking of gameplay, I think there are many, many great things for example:
- the possibility to get back skill points for a price, which is an awesome thing being used to "Diablo II";
- the whole covenant thing, the diplomacy involved, raids, which are really fun and give you a real sense of purpose, which I found lacking in other hack'n'slash games;
- the dynamic nature of the game, I love this thing and I play almost exclusively games that aren't completely "on rails". Quests, events, they are there to keep you from yawning, and they work as intended.

And it runs like a charm even on my Linux box!

The only thing that suck is the poll in the home page, because I had to choose only one option. :D

So, I'm really happy with the game, and if I'll ever find something that I feel isn't right, I'll let you know. Just try to keep the game open and balanced. I mean, have you read about the skill system in "Hellgate: London"? It's designed to keep players from having to max out skills to have a chance in the game, like in "Diablo II", where you MUST make almost predefined character classes just to have a chance in MP. I think "Hellgate: London" could rely more on items to give you an edge over other players, and I fear that this could be useful to "farmers", allowing them to make godly characters just by spending more time playing. I know that with team play (e.g. ganging up and beating a solo player) things could balance, but what if "farmers" gang up? In a SP game this problem can come out too. I remember playing "Freelancer" and once I finished the story, I started roaming around the game areas, just to find out the in the starting zones I was so uber that no one could even scratch me, thus removing the challenge factor in a game that should be similar to "Elite" (free roaming, trading, bounty hunting...). I haven't yet played "Depths of Peril" for an extended period of time, but the options available when creating a new world suggest me that challenge here is very customizable, which is a great thing.

Finally, how are things going? Is the game selling well already? I read that many indie game developers tend to live "on the edge" because of the nature of their products (some games are "niche" and poorly advertised, having to rely to the spreading of word). I wish you the same luck that the developers of "Mount & Blade" had, you and your team really deserve to be known (and to sell a lot :D)!

Thanks for everything, and good luck!

Jedi_Learner
09-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I've played DOP for a few hours now, and the £18.75 was well spent. The gameplay is nice and I really like the animation and graphics. If you haven't tried the demo, then you should!

WChris
09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
I love this game, it's rally great work! :) I will do some advertising on several german websites. I'm just missing a multiplayer part, but this will come in the first expansion pack right? Can't wait for multiplayer, this will be just awesome. :)

Vas
09-20-2007, 12:49 PM
hey WChris (na alles klar ;P ? ) i started some Depths of Peril threads on german sites so any help is welcome ofcourse;))

Shadow
09-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the forums BAWZ. I'm glad that you are enjoying the game. :)

the dynamic nature of the game, I love this thing and I play almost exclusively games that aren't completely "on rails". Quests, events, they are there to keep you from yawning, and they work as intended.

Depths of Peril is definitely not a game on rails. :) Things even surprise me when I play the game.

The only thing that suck is the poll in the home page, because I had to choose only one option. :D

Actually because of how polls work with the software that I'm using for the website, you can actually vote once each day.

Finally, how are things going? Is the game selling well already? I read that many indie game developers tend to live "on the edge" because of the nature of their products (some games are "niche" and poorly advertised, having to rely to the spreading of word). I wish you the same luck that the developers of "Mount & Blade" had, you and your team really deserve to be known (and to sell a lot :D)!

Well so far we just aren't getting enough exposure. Plenty of people seem to really like the game though, so we should get there eventually. We still have more marketing things planned, but the more word of mouth we get, the better.

Shadow
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
I love this game, it's rally great work! :) I will do some advertising on several german websites. I'm just missing a multiplayer part, but this will come in the first expansion pack right? Can't wait for multiplayer, this will be just awesome. :)

Any word of mouth would be great. Yes, I'm hoping that we can do multiplayer in the first expansion pack.

johnnysd
09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Well I purchased the game after only playing the demo a couple of minutes. I knoew right away that the game "gets it". The action RPG portion of the game is really well done, maybe the best since Diablo II. The graphics surprisingly are very good and the game is very unique.

I hope that it sells well for you and that there will be expansions and patches for the game. I would think that it should be fairly easy to get some reviews at places like RPG Vault, RPG Watch, and RPG dot, and try to get it listed on MetaCritic. Just look at a game like BioShock and get in touch with all the editors for the various sites that review games and you should be able to easily and inexpensively build some solid word of mouth for the game. Although some will have issue because it does not have DX10 Crysis-like graphics, any reviewer worth half a darn will look at the gameplay and see that it is unique and FUN.

Multiplayer I think is the big growth area for the game. It SOOO lends itself to multiplayer competition whether over lan (which could be a good market) or something like GameSpy.

Just some of my thoughts. I love how you have taken an RPG and added this frenetic feeling and importance to what you are doing in the game over and above the roguelike roots of the gameplay. I am trying to get my friend to buy it and have posted on RPG Codex. Best of luck on selling lots of copies and I will try to be more active in the forums after I have played some more.

Shadow
09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the forums johnnysd and since I missed it somehow welcome to the forums WChris.

I would think that it should be fairly easy to get some reviews at places like RPG Vault, RPG Watch, and RPG dot, and try to get it listed on MetaCritic. Just look at a game like BioShock and get in touch with all the editors for the various sites that review games and you should be able to easily and inexpensively build some solid word of mouth for the game. Although some will have issue because it does not have DX10 Crysis-like graphics, any reviewer worth half a darn will look at the gameplay and see that it is unique and FUN.

So far we have had 3 reviews and all of them have been good: Grrl Gamer (http://www.grrlgamer.com/review.php?g=depthsofperil), Out of Eight (http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com:80/2007/09/depths-of-peril-review.html), and Generation: Gamerz (http://generationgamerz.com:80/v2/game-reviews/depths-of-peril-review.php). We should have a bunch more coming up also including hopefully RPG Watch and RPG Dot.

Just some of my thoughts. I love how you have taken an RPG and added this frenetic feeling and importance to what you are doing in the game over and above the roguelike roots of the gameplay. I am trying to get my friend to buy it and have posted on RPG Codex. Best of luck on selling lots of copies and I will try to be more active in the forums after I have played some more.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the game. Spread the word. :)

Del137
09-25-2007, 05:31 PM
tnx for such good game, buyed it after 10 minutes of play,i hope it will be better and better with time, dream about multiplayer :rolleyes:

Shadow
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks Del137 and welcome to the forums.

frangulis
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
First of all, I'd like to tell you that I'm from Argentina. So please forgive my English, it's not that easy for me to write. I just hope I can make myself clear.

The reason I write is to tell you guys that I really love the game! well, actually, I'm playing the demo right now and I love every aspect of it.

The game looks easy and simple at first, but after playing an hour or so, you begin to understand the mechanics. And that is when the game gets exciting and fun.

I don't know how to explain what I felt when I played the demo. It was like playing an action-RPG, a strategy-RPG and a MMORPG, but all at the same time!

What I always look in a game is innovation. I like games with personality. I want the game to give me something i never experienced before. I want Games that makes me feel that I'm not wasting my time (and my money).
And let me tell you, this game really surprised me. It gave me that something that I always look for, and that I seldom find.

Lately, I've been playing games that only stand out for their graphics. I miss the SNes era, when games were innovative. I think that nowadays games only offer great graphics, but they fail in bringing good gameplay. This game proved that my theory was wrong.

I really thank you for the game. And hopefully I'll be buying the full game soon.

Good Luck and keep up the good work!!!!!! = Buena Suerte y sigan trabajando así de bien!!!!!

(PS: wrinting in English was much more difficult that I thought! lol)

Asmodean
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I love this game! Although I've run into a bunch of rather frustrating things, I think it's more down to my incompetence than game inbalance.

On the whole, it is an amazingly immersive and very innovative game. In fact, it is one of the few offerings in the industry today that I wish will sell enough to warrant an expansion or even a sequel (MP, anyone?)

Thanks for the great game, Steve - definitely worth $29.99!

Shadow
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the forums frangulis. I agree completely with you. This is exactly how I see a lot of games lately, great graphics but the same exact gameplay as the previous 10 games in the genre. This really bothers me about the industry, which is why we made sure that Depths of Peril was not just another Diablo clone.

Btw, I actually find your English pretty good.

ShaggyMoose
12-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Which monsters get spawned is determined by a bunch of different factors but the level of the monsters is based on the area not the player level. So no there is no auto scaling. I'm personally not a fan of auto scaling. I really like to be able to go back through a lower level area and slaughter stuff :)
Amen! I enjoy this approach much more than the ridiculous slog that games such as Oblivion become. Nothing breaks immersion more than being attacked by a group of ragged bandits who are wielding equipment worth a king's ransom. Or being slaughtered by a level 532 rat. Bah.

Besides, the possibility of vengence on low level mobs is much too enticing to pass up. "Remember me buddy? Yeah, I used to be level one. NOW EAT FIREY DEATH!".

Delve
12-26-2007, 09:26 AM
You can't right now, but I'm considering it for the final game.

Oh, also I've now added it so you can cast directly onto your party members UI (name, health bar, etc.) on the left side of the screen without needing to change your real target.

Oh. Glad I saw this, it's rather frustrating to lose track of my target and constantly be pausing the game to swap targets so I can heal my tank.

Perhaps you could make a note of this in the readme and help webpages? Or is there one already that I missed?

Kruztee
12-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Amen! I enjoy this approach much more than the ridiculous slog that games such as Oblivion become. Nothing breaks immersion more than being attacked by a group of ragged bandits who are wielding equipment worth a king's ransom. Or being slaughtered by a level 532 rat. Bah.

Apologies in advance for the thread jack...:rolleyes:

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (a mod for the PC version of Oblivion) made that game playable for me. It dealt with all the issues of mob scaling to character level (which I also find abominable in an RPG) and added a massive amount of new content. I would very heartily recommend it to you if you haven't already tried it.

I find that in Depths of Peril, usually if I'm questing, the generated mobs are quite tough. If I back off a liitle (maybe 1 or 2 zones) I no longer get quest credit, but I do kill stuff a lot more quickly and generate a lot more loot. It's just another cool choice that the game is offering to the player at a strategic level.

ShaggyMoose
12-26-2007, 11:01 AM
The OOO mod became stable after I was already done with Oblivion. I might give it a shot later when I get off this lousy laptop.;)

ShaggyMoose
12-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I originally posted this in another thread, but this seems like a better place for it.

Its great that this game is not just another Diablo clone. I have avoided buying a new dungeon crawl for a long time because they all feel the same. The inclusion of some 4X strategy aspects is intruiging and despite its mish mash of features, DoP still feels very cohesive. Congratulations to the developers. I hope it does really well.

shabadoo
12-27-2007, 02:01 AM
This is simply an amazing game. I spent only a couple of minutes with the demo before taking the plunge and purchasing it. Considering how a lot of big-budget games have failed to match their pre-release hype, it is nice to see a more modestly produced and advertised game like Depths of Peril succeed on the gameplay front. The fact that the game designer actually pops in to discuss things with players really personalizes things and also helped make up my mind to purchase the game.

Cheers and happy holidays:)

maruosch
01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to say that i bought the game after playing the demofor about 15 mins..This game´s awesome! Its something totally different.

Thank you, i hope my 22€ helped to create an addon and continue the support;-)

Del137
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
lol, now after 2 years, my dream about multiplayer came true ;)
Tnx for Din's Curse!

O'Jorvic
09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
it is a wonderful game, simple and complex at the same time. a bit like chess. a real masterpiece. thanks shadow! it never gets boring.

just today i was wondering about the quest-system, the one thing that doesn't flow as much as the rest, when you accept a quest that you have solved already (like kill a certain monster). you got to click a lot...

Shadow
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
it is a wonderful game, simple and complex at the same time. a bit like chess. a real masterpiece. thanks shadow! it never gets boring.

just today i was wondering about the quest-system, the one thing that doesn't flow as much as the rest, when you accept a quest that you have solved already (like kill a certain monster). you got to click a lot...

Yeah, we improved that in Din's Curse so that you didn't have to accept the quest first.