PDA

View Full Version : First impressions: classes / "features"

Cat
08-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Currently I have a level 28 odd mage, and a level 10 fighter. Day two playing: the mage class seems tougher than most of the others, but I expect that - I'm hoping for big pay-offs later on.

Some things I've noticed:

1) Chain Lightning is somewhat cheesable - you can use it to target and shoot at monsters far, far away (most usually towers - although it sometimes works on groups of bosses). You have to keep spamming it, and it'll auto-switch to a target out of your screen ;) I've found that with a cap +4 mana regen (+ other buffs) and int at around 160ish, I can infinite cast it as well, which helps - I don't have to waste points in skills like concentration. With crits, I'm doing 180ish top end, and hitting three mobs at a time is essential - as I'm never not surrounded!

2) I got a level 16 priest NPC with hardiness (+50 vit) early on - this is a lifesaver, and I use her as a buff stop constantly. This doubles my HP as a mage, and allows me to put everything into int all the time.

3) By far the most powerful combo I've seen so far is a stealth rogue. I have a level 31 NPC side-kick who literally chews through mobs - even with only a semi-crappy Kris I found her (approx 26.9 DPS, although it is an unique - Dex's blade) she does hits worth 600+ on mobs. Without her, my DPS even with Chain lightning 11, Lightning mastery 9 is paltry :/ I'm hoping mage gets more powerful as I go on, as at the moment, its impossible solo! Her skills are good though - the +defense one, stealth and two +crit skills.

4) Armour doesn't work as I thought it would. I "pimped" my level 10 fighter in stupidly good items I'd found (e.g. - unique stuff, steelcage chest (80 armour+ other buffs, including more armour %, str 60 req), mud thingy boots / pauldrons etc, using a stepped +str buffing method. Quaff potion -> equip high level +str gear, rinse repeat until my str sits at 60+ at level 10, and all gear is fully "in the green"). However.. I still get hit. Even using a ultra-rare plate belt (+10 resist all & armour mods) I still get chewed up by vanilla level 10 mobs. This kinda worried me: are mobs scaled? It is nice to see any magic / non-physical attacks hit for 0 though ^^

4a) Does equipping gear that becomes red effect the performance? I've not noticed it doing so, but I thought I'd ask before I step up a really nice claymore on that char, as she has nothing put into dex atm.

5) Unique sets seem scaled to the level you find them at. So I've got parts of sets that are totally rubbish (e.g. +1 / 2 to stats) with others being much better. This confused me a bit - or don't their stats change?

6) I found using my relics all +magic item helped immensely. Coupled with some gear buffs (I found greed gloves, but my mage can't use them) I'd need four mules to ship off the amount of magic item drops I get. Most bosses drop 4-8 magic items alone. Yellows seem to be randomly much better than the relics I do find, however.

7) Consistently, the faction "Shining Blades" are always my main opposition - if I play on an even keel, they zoom past me. I'm guessing this is because of their abilities?

8) As far as I can tell, NPCs can only have two items equipped (for most of them) - weapon & central armour. Am I missing something important here, or is their limit? They also seem to have much higher core abilities (str/dex etc) than me.

Anyhow, fun so far: I've avoided abusing game mechanics so far (the AoE past borders and starting factions at level 100 ones) and am chomping through it. Next stop is the main quest line :)

Silent_Tales
08-08-2008, 12:27 AM
1. Yeah, I'm a chain lightning type too on my mage!! I feel what you feel ma' man!! :cool:

2.Vitality is the second, if not the most, important skill of an NPC Priest can get.. It can beef up a puny old man like a mage in just a few flicks of her hand..

3. Any job, even the warrior, CANNOT match the dps of a stealth rogue NPC.. Stealth rogues are the uber NPC.. They have "nearly always" activated stealth.. At later levels, their stealth skill can boost a whopping 500pecent+ chance to crit and 400percent+ damage bonus :eek: (NPC's gain a weird number stat points per level up.. Even if you 2 are at the same level, you will see his/her stats leading a 20+ points above you..)

4.You can only see 0 damage hits at later levels (level 80 or above).. When your armor per body part' as I can say, is 300+ armor.. Then activate your Focus armor (at least a level ?20? focus skill).. That way, low level vanilla bad guys can't damage you.. (My level 100 guy is !!100percent damage immune!! to level 100 bad guys if I activated focus armor) But sometimes, I still get hit like 20 or 100 damage..

5. I never experience scaling sets.. Maybe you picked a different set and the picture is the same but different name??

7. Maybe you are not doing quests too much while they are busy raising their ranks??

Shadow
08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
4) Armour doesn't work as I thought it would. I "pimped" my level 10 fighter in stupidly good items I'd found (e.g. - unique stuff, steelcage chest (80 armour+ other buffs, including more armour %, str 60 req), mud thingy boots / pauldrons etc, using a stepped +str buffing method. Quaff potion -> equip high level +str gear, rinse repeat until my str sits at 60+ at level 10, and all gear is fully "in the green"). However.. I still get hit. Even using a ultra-rare plate belt (+10 resist all & armour mods) I still get chewed up by vanilla level 10 mobs. This kinda worried me: are mobs scaled? It is nice to see any magic / non-physical attacks hit for 0 though ^^

Armor doesn't really prevent you from being hit. It makes physical hits do less damage. There is more about the specifics of armor in the strategy section on our main site here (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Strategy/Tactics/Armor.html).

4a) Does equipping gear that becomes red effect the performance? I've not noticed it doing so, but I thought I'd ask before I step up a really nice claymore on that char, as she has nothing put into dex atm.

If it is equipped regardless if you could re-equip it, it is working normally.

5) Unique sets seem scaled to the level you find them at. So I've got parts of sets that are totally rubbish (e.g. +1 / 2 to stats) with others being much better. This confused me a bit - or don't their stats change?

They shouldn't scale.

7) Consistently, the faction "Shining Blades" are always my main opposition - if I play on an even keel, they zoom past me. I'm guessing this is because of their abilities?

They have the Adventurous trait which is by far one of the better traits for the covenants to have.

8) As far as I can tell, NPCs can only have two items equipped (for most of them) - weapon & central armour. Am I missing something important here, or is their limit? They also seem to have much higher core abilities (str/dex etc) than me.

Nope your not missing anything. They are simplified a bit to make managing everyone a bit easier.

(name here)
08-08-2008, 11:32 AM
They've also got a chance of gaining bonus XP 10% of the time, to compensate for not being able to turn in quests, which is somthing which i hope can somehow be dealt with in the expansion. every other AI covenent has a 5% chance of the same.

also, they recruit warriors and rouges exclusively. might not help them, but it could.

Cat
08-08-2008, 06:35 PM
also, they recruit warriors and rouges exclusively. might not help them, but it could.

Are you sure?

I started a level 100 game just to see the differences, and all the starting members of opposing factions are in the same uniforms - when I went to look around, after killing off Darius (?) one covenant had a mage not in uniform at their stone, who was much much lower level. I'm guessing that this was a convert / hireling?

Some other observations:

Unique sets are woefully under-powered. Even at level 30 loot, they aren't useful - I can't imagine at level 50+ they'll ever get used. This is a shame, as I liked the idea of the combining sets. It'd be nice if you could "level" them (right clicking or maybe an upgrade quest / cost) so they remained useful as you got more powerful.

Starting the game on the next difficulty level is pretty hard-core. Is it me, or do AI get speed bonuses as well as levels? I ran into cat-people on the first quest (Amber desert place) and they zipped around putting me into the ground very quickly; I couldn't out-run them, which I could often do previously. XP also gets a heavy hit: killing level 25 at level 28 in the easiest difficulty still gives some XP. On the next level up, I get a measly 14 xp / kill - and I really can't kill higher ones atm!

On a plus note, my level 10 fighter is now using a unique 1h sword and a semi-decent shield - at level 10, level 10 creatures hit me for 0, only bosses hit me for damage. However, putting all my stuff into +str to get all the gear on means I'm a bit of a weakling. Going to *have* to get a priest NPC healer companion, although I've never seen one. Unique sets / artifacts here have a great advantage, as they rarely (if ever) have level requirements, something vanilla magical items do.

I took a sneak peak at the thread telling me how to get the secret treasure bonus for killing the ultimate boss - sadly, its a one time deal, and I didn't get anything good at all. Given he drops items comparable to other normal bosses, this is a bit disappointing. Perhaps he could drop items that could upgrade your unique / artifacts? :p

I take it that each difficulty level is the same game but with tougher monsters? It would have been nice if there had been some additional uber-bosses that only unlocked as you went higher. I was also a bit put off that there were no new zones or buildings. All that wilderness, and no castles or ruins? :(

Anyhow, off to play some more!

Skarecreau
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Going to *have* to get a priest NPC healer companion, although I've never seen one.

I believe I had read recently that there are no NPC priests with healing spells. It was considered to be too unbalanced. Unless something has changed between that post and now...but I've never seen a priest recruit with healing spells either.

(name here)
08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
preists with healing spells cannot be found as recruits without modding.

Are you sure?

I started a level 100 game just to see the differences, and all the starting members of opposing factions are in the same uniforms - when I went to look around, after killing off Darius (?) one covenant had a mage not in uniform at their stone, who was much much lower level. I'm guessing that this was a convert / hireling?

The XML does not lie. it says the shining blades will never recruit mages or preists. the other covenents have variable chances of trying for recruit of a given class.