PDA

View Full Version : How will updates work?

LordGek
09-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Hey Gang,

While I know you just got the game out the door I'm curious how you plan to release the bug fix/updates for the retail version? Are you going to do patches or maybe just have us download the latest version on top of our existing installation?

Also do you plan on releasing a bunch of cumulative little fixes (possibly multiple in a week) as you make them or will it be some much more structured thing with only a few releases (less than once a month)?

All of this comes to mind only because I see from the bug forums you already have quashed a few annoying little bugs but I didn't get a clue if we the customers have any access to this improved version (I doubt it at this point).

Shadow
09-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the forums LordGek.

I'm actually not sure how we are going to do patches yet exactly. In general they will probably replace the old executable and add a new asset zip file each time. We will probably be relatively structured about it, so we can try not to release bad patches. We may however release beta patches so that we can get fixes out quicker, if you guys are interested. These would be quicker but have less testing.

Oh, and anything that I have said that I have fixed so far (as of Sept 9th) was an issue with the demo and was fixed for the full release.

BTW, I'm wanting to add to the thread over on quartertothree with you and Aeon221, but I'm still stuck in the moderation queue. :(

LordGek
09-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the forums LordGek.

I'm actually not sure how we are going to do patches yet exactly. In general they will probably replace the old executable and add a new asset zip file each time. We will probably be relatively structured about it, so we can try not to release bad patches. We may however release beta patches so that we can get fixes out quicker, if you guys are interested. These would be quicker but have less testing.

Oh, and anything that I have said that I have fixed so far (as of Sept 9th) was an issue with the demo and was fixed for the full release.

BTW, I'm wanting to add to the thread over on quartertothree with you and Aeon221, but I'm still stuck in the moderation queue. :(

I personally love the idea of beta patches with a big USE AT OWN RISK sticker pasted on them!

Not claiming to have a lot of sway over at Qt3 but I've been a long standing member and I'll gladly put in a good work for you and see if we can expedite this process. What name are you going by on Qt3? Once I have your name I'll put in a request directly to Tom Chick (while his forum, not sure if he handles this stuff or if its more a role of the various moderators there) and post something in the Depths of Peril thread that the dev himself would love to join our conversation!

Shadow
09-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Oh, I'll warn people that it is a beta patch and to use at their own risk. :)

I'm just registered as Steven Peeler over on the quartertothree forums. Any help would be appreciated.

LordGek
09-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Not claiming to have a lot of sway over at Qt3 but I've been a long standing member and I'll gladly put in a good work for you and see if we can expedite this process. What name are you going by on Qt3? Once I have your name I'll put in a request directly to Tom Chick (while his forum, not sure if he handles this stuff or if its more a role of the various moderators there) and post something in the Depths of Peril thread that the dev himself would love to join our conversation!

Well its done. No idea if this will actually make a difference but I've at least put in my .02.

Shadow
09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Thank you. Well whenever they approve me, I'll chime in over there.

LordGek
09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Thank you. Well whenever they approve me, I'll chime in over there.

Tom just replied and informed me you are in (Qt3). Post away!

Aeon221
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
So how did you find the Qt3 thread, Mr Stalker? =D

Shadow
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, it looks like I can post over there now. I believe I noticed Qt3 in our website logs, so I jumped over there to see why people were coming from their site to ours. It's also possible that one of my google alerts picked it up but I think it was the logs. When I found the thread I also recognized your name and then reconized LordGek when he posted the first time.

LordGek
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, it looks like I can post over there now. I believe I noticed Qt3 in our website logs, so I jumped over there to see why people were coming from their site to ours. It's also possible that one of my google alerts picked it up but I think it was the logs. When I found the thread I also recognized your name and then reconized LordGek when he posted the first time.

Wow, I now feel like some sort of celebrity fanboy (no autographs!).

Glad to help you spread the word.

Your game is also the subject of a growing thread over at Octopus Overlords:
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54623

Shadow
09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the link LordGek. I hadn't seen that discussion yet.

Aeon221
09-10-2007, 12:27 AM

Just doin my part for good games =D