PDA

View Full Version : Vista startup prob

boambizz
08-17-2008, 10:12 PM
when i try and startup my game it says "Failed Display Setup" I bought the game at walmart, i tried downloading the demo also and it still says that, i dont get it. any help....

Shadow
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
That means that the game can't setup the screen resolution for some reason. It tries a few different settings so I'm surprised that it would ever fail. You could try to reboot your computer and/or update your graphics card drivers.

Anything special about your monitor?

boambizz
08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Its actually a laptop, i just bought it new a couple months ago. I have tried rebooting a few times and also reinstalled a few times.

Shadow
08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
That actually might explain some things. It might be that your laptop doesn't support the default resolution. If that is the only issue, we can probably work around it.

Open your user.cfg file (it should be in the C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\User directory). If you don't have this file yet, just create it. Now find the r_width and r_height lines and change them to whatever your current desktop resolution is.

It will look something like the following (except these numbers are the default resolution):

r_width 1024
r_height 768

boambizz
08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
how do i make a user.cfg and were do i find the l width and r width

Shadow
08-18-2008, 05:28 PM
If you don't have one, just create a text file in that directory and rename it to user.cfg. Then add those 2 lines in it but change the numbers to be what you desktop resolution is.

boambizz
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
im not to good with this laptop how do i create text files, and where would i add them numbers, Sorry i dont get it

Shadow
08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
No problem. I'm going to go through the steps in XP, hopefully they are still the same in Vista.

To find your desktop resolution: right click on your desktop, choose properties, and click the settings tab. On this page it should tell you the desktop resolution (probably lower left area). Remember these 2 numbers (width is the 1st one, height the 2nd).

Then go to the C:\Program Files\Depths of Peril\User directory, right click in the window somewhere, choose the new option, and then choose the text document option. Now you should have a new text file (probably called New Text Document.txt). Double click on the new file to open notepad (or whatever your default text editor is). Add the following 2 lines to the new text file, but use the desktop numbers from the above step:

r_width 1024
r_height 768

Save the file and exit the text editor. Right click on the file, choose the rename option, and rename the file to user.cfg.

That should be it. Run the game and see if it starts up.

boambizz
08-18-2008, 08:26 PM
did that but still nothing, I dont understand why it wont go. any other ideas

boambizz
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
well this is weird i just put all the files in the depths of peril into the user folder and it worked

Shadow
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure that makes any sense, but if it works I'm happy.