PDA

View Full Version : Would this be possible at all?

LordLabyrinth
08-27-2008, 06:53 AM
I want to make a mod where I change the win condition of the game by only allowing the diplomatic win without being able to fight your allies. This means your allies cannot fight amongst themselves either, and your consolation diplomatic win is also not available. The only way to win is to be the top of the alliance or beat the main storyline quests, and if all the other covenants get destroyed, then you will lose the game.

Then I want to significantly increase the difficulty of the monsters and the monster attacks in the town, to the point where the town will be pretty much always under attack.

Now if possible, I want to create new NPC guards sprinkled around the town to help guard against monster attacks. These will of course look like humans in order to keep from being confused as the attackers, and maybe bought from the beastmaster. Making it so that AI covenants can also buy these guards with their crystals.

Now the whole point of this mod is teamwork. I need to make sure that I not only keep the vendors and the quest givers alive but ensure the survival of the other covenants. If I lose even one covenant to monster attacks, then I will lose the edge in keeping the town from being overrun by monsters.

I guess I'm trying to recreate those tower defense games you see everywhere these days, but this would be unique in a sense that you have your covenant allies to help you defend your town. Furthermore, if the town is fairly well protected at the time, you can choose to go do some quests for xp and item gains. But if you neglect to do the quests too much, then those boss monsters will become stronger and attack the town in addition to the monsters already attacking the town.

What do you guys think? Can this be done? If so, anyone want to help me?

Shadow
08-27-2008, 09:47 AM
I want to make a mod where I change the win condition of the game by only allowing the diplomatic win without being able to fight your allies. This means your allies cannot fight amongst themselves either, and your consolation diplomatic win is also not available. The only way to win is to be the top of the alliance or beat the main storyline quests, and if all the other covenants get destroyed, then you will lose the game.

I don't think you can change the win conditions. Although you certainly can play this way.

Then I want to significantly increase the difficulty of the monsters and the monster attacks in the town, to the point where the town will be pretty much always under attack.

This you can definitely do. Just go modify the quest chances and monster data to your liking. Modifying the quest chances and maybe how often the game generates new quests will make the game come pretty close to what you want I believe.

Now if possible, I want to create new NPC guards sprinkled around the town to help guard against monster attacks. These will of course look like humans in order to keep from being confused as the attackers, and maybe bought from the beastmaster. Making it so that AI covenants can also buy these guards with their crystals.

You might be able to place new NPCs just like the current NPCs. I'm not positive it will work, but you can try. You wouldn't be able to buy them like guards though.

LordLabyrinth
08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think you can change the win conditions. Although you certainly can play this way.

First of all, that's some fast response from the creator. It's very encouraging to see hear from you.

I see. That's too bad about the win condition. How about a way to slow down the relationship degradation? As I understand it, relationships will slowly degrade overtime if nothing is done. Is there a way to set initial game relationship between all the covenants at a high value and remove the degeneration value for covenant relationships? The last thing we need is for the covenants to raid each other just because their relationship has fallen below the threshold.

Also can you tell me how to place new NPCs? I was hoping we could buy more as we accumulate more crystals, but maybe it wouldn't be bad to just place few around the town. Is there anyway we can somehow use the beastguards to help protect the town?

(name here)
08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't know how to create new NPCs, though you could manipulate the code so a ton of wandering vendors appear in town, and you can modify NPCs by giving them champion style special abilities.

You can make the town attacks higher level, more frequent, and bigger under the quest txt file. making seiges more common would be possible too.

Beastguards can't be deployed to protect the town, but if there's a coordinated town attack they'll protect their covenent house.

Shadow
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I see. That's too bad about the win condition. How about a way to slow down the relationship degradation? As I understand it, relationships will slowly degrade overtime if nothing is done. Is there a way to set initial game relationship between all the covenants at a high value and remove the degeneration value for covenant relationships? The last thing we need is for the covenants to raid each other just because their relationship has fallen below the threshold.

Also can you tell me how to place new NPCs? I was hoping we could buy more as we accumulate more crystals, but maybe it wouldn't be bad to just place few around the town. Is there anyway we can somehow use the beastguards to help protect the town?

For the NPCs, you could try to add extra (duplicate) NPCs by adding to the NpcType, NpcPosition, and NpcDirection stuff in systems.gdb. You can probably only get a duplicate NPC, if even that. I'm not sure if this will work or not.

As for the covenant stuff, you can do most of that. Look in covenants.gdb. You can set the starting values (StartingRelation stuff) and change the degrade rate (NaturalHate stuff). Most of the covenants use the base values defined in BaseCovenant, but some of them do have specific values.

LordLabyrinth
08-27-2008, 04:37 PM
The covenant relationship worked just fine. I'm still having trouble with NPC placement. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.