PDA

View Full Version : Recruits

LDiCesare
09-09-2007, 07:05 PM
How long do you keep your recruits and do you take care mixing their classes?
To me, it looks like recruits are interchangeable, and taking the highest level available recruit is aways the best solution.
I tried to bring one recruit up in level with me, but eventually, although I brought him from level 9 to 13, I replaced him by a level 17 recruit I could get. I think it's a bit lame that recruits don't earn more experience. The way things are set now, one recruit will only stay with you until you find another, better one, which, in terms of role playing/story, doesn't feel right to me.
I also don't care much about the class of the recruits. I will tend to favor a melee character if I play ranged, and a mage or priest if I play melee, but only for the character who's going with me on the quests (1 in 5). The others I don't really care and just take the highest level available.

Overall I think this is a bit sad, because there is no strategy involved in getting recruits (compare levels, take highest). If recruits earned more experience and you could customize them a little when they gain a level, you might want to keep one recruit that has the skills you want over a new one, because you maxed one skill for instance. Right now you let recruits increase their skills without any means to make sure they increase the ones you're interested in.

Shadow
09-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Recruits are a little more complex than they appear up front.

First, not all recruits have the same skills. Each of the classes has one or two common skills, but the rest are random. So one recruit might have a better set of skills than another.

Second, some recruits have extra bonuses above normal recruits. You can see these on the recruits stat/equipment screen. If they have any bonuses there will be an extra icon or two in the top section across from the damage line. This is somewhat rare so pay attention to this.

Tirium
09-09-2007, 11:48 PM
My rogue recruit has a skill that requires, to be stealthed, and no stealth. But itīs not so bad, her second random skill, dazzle, is nice imo.

And once, I tried a priestess recruit, but she was pretty useless, once she got heir holy fire spell, cause it was the only spell she would use. And itīs a weak spell.

AnalogKid
09-10-2007, 04:37 AM
I find a recruit that has the skills I want, and I always adventure with them. They seem to level at the same exact rate as I do, so it's worked out very well.

Whenever I find higher-level recruits, I'll go get them and add them to my covenant for raiding purposes, but I stick with my "good" follower for adventuring because I want to keep the team together and I don't generally like most other recruit types. If I found a higher level recruit of the same class with the same skills, I would swap 'em out because I'm a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kinda king. ;)

I'm playing a mage and a warrior, but mostly the mage. (turns out at higher levels when mastery can get stacked with the spells, they are different from Priests...) Anyway here are my quick adventuring buddy guidelines:

- Don't use melee recruits. They go running off and attract too many monsters before I'm ready for them. I don't like to be mobbed thanks to an imbecile that won't stand still!:mad:

- Don't use area-effect spell mages for recruits. They will FUBAR your crowd-control skills. You shouldn't get mobbed (see above), but it sometimes happens and this is very important when it does.

- Make sure you have at least 1 Priest with Toughness buff so you can always have it up. Since I want it to keep being levelled up and I'm not willing to just wait for a random higher-level Priest to eventually have that skill, this is the one I adventure with.

- Don't ever get a Priest with Precision buff, not even for your covenant, because sometimes when you enter a game, it will get cast on you and you won't get the Toughness buff that kicks so much more ass!

- My ideal follower: Priest with Holy Bolt & Prayer (always has these), and Mail Armor & Toughness as optional skills. The Mail armor isn't really that important, but you don't want anything that will divert skill points from being spent in Toughness. It's too bad you can't get a Priest without Prayer, they never need the extra Faith regen so all those skill points go to waste...:(

- Until I find what I'm looking for, I'll sometimes accept a bolt-casting Mage follower.

- AoE mage followers are GREAT for raids, especially if they have cold AoE because it doesn't matter what the damage is, slowing down the badguys is soooo helpful for everyone on your side!

Delilah Rehm
09-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I try to not take too many of one class. I'll usually allow two of one class, but almost never three.

LDiCesare
09-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I wonder how the level of potential recruits is computed. I was level 18 (maybe 17) and got an opportunity for a level 21 rogue. Incidentally, this is the level of the plot quest I am assigned right now. Anyway, getting a recruit 3 levels higher than one's best is too good to pass.

Shadow
09-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I forget off hand how much but it is a random range of a few levels +/- of your level.